“Loved it” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Loved it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2007

For as many times as I have been to Zions I have never stayed at the Lodge and I was looking forward to being in the park. We stayed one night recently and were able to get a Winter package which included breakfast. It was a great deal. We arrived late and the front desk knew who we were,,,last ones in I guess. They were able to guide us to some late night food which we truly appreciated. I especially enjoyed the fireplace in the lobby of our building. I sat there reading a book and felt the cares of life ebb away. Our room was large, and clean with a balcony. I enjoyed the no TV. We spent a leisurely morning watching the sun hit the tops of the canyon walls before heading over to the main building for breakfast. Definitely coat weather that early though it warmed up later. Breakfast was great, a nice selection and variety. The thing about the lodge I really appreciated was their attempt to be eco-friendly. I don't know how effective it is, but they are at least concious of the need. I felt if all businesses would do the same it would surely help.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2007

It wasn't very busy here at the beginning of January. We had two cute cabins with interlinking internal door and handy gas fireplaces. No TV. Dim lights. Rustic but pleasant.

The restaurant experience looked like it would be bad, with just two waiters serving everybody, and an extra wait despite requiring reservations. Yet we grew fond of Stephen, who said he had taken the job at Zion because of the impact that the Angel's Landing had on him. Always nice to be served by a romantic. And the Buffalo Chicken Wings, when they came, really hit the spot, as did the Prime Rib. And the dessert. I wasn't going to eat much at the breakfast buffet, but it was included in the price, and not bad either!

We hiked the Temple of Sinawava, which canyon does NOT narrow much by the end of the trail -- perhaps you need to walk further in the stream itself. The Emerald Pool hike was pleasant, and it is worth going up to the top pool. We didn't try Angel's Landing: maybe when the kids are older.

There seemed to be a majority of foreigners in the National Parks at this season, interestingly.

At the shop we bought prickly pear candy: purple but no real flavor beyond sugary!

• Liked — The gas fires and the prime rib
  • Disliked — Lights pretty dim
  • Tips/Secrets — Go in the off season! The trials looked like there are big herds in the summer.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fort Collins, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2006

I didn't make a reservation here, but decided to drive thru Zion on the way home from a roadtrip. It was a gorgeous fall day. This time of year is perfect for fall foliage and the weather was lovely. I had a convertible, and drove with the top down most of the day.

The front desk person was wonderful--very friendly, helped me get a nice room with a good view. She was extremely sweet and very customer-oriented.

If you stay here, you have easy foot access to the Emerald Pools trail, however, in November, there are no waterfalls this time of year. A beautiful hike anyway.

The room had a good balcony with nice canyon views, a rocking chair, etc.

All was peaceful until a tour bus with 100 plus people stopped in front of the lodge at 6 PM. People all of a sudden began moving in to rooms. Lots of noise. Below me, an older couple argued for an hour straight, outside on their balcony. What was once so peaceful became really annoying.

There are no TVs. The internet in the lobby was not working during my stay, and the computers went down in the night, so my husband who tried to telephone me could not get through, and my cell phone didn't work in the canyon. Not good if you need to keep in touch.

The room was exceptionally clean and environmentally amended. Don't expect bottled shampoos etc. All your hygeine is taken care of with wall-mounted, all-purpose soap dispensers. Kudos to Zion for being green!

You can stay just outside the park in Springdale for much less, and the actual park is only a few miles in, so if you're on a budget, stay outside the park.

On a final note, the restaurant food was rather plain in the lodge, but the staff was friendly, so I didn't feel as though I gave up too much.

• Liked — The views were awesome
  • Disliked — Overpriced hotel rooms for November
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay just west of the Park in Springdale, at a motel, if you want to save money
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
BOSTON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2006

We stayed at the Zion lodge for 2 nights last week. Thank you to all the other members who posted reviews. These helped us with trip planning immensely!! Our room was in Building 2 on the 2nd floor. The building had a lovely fireplace where we sat and read both nights. The main lodge itself is very nice. We did not eat there, only had a drink and had to order a dessert with it per Utah liquor laws. Used the internet in the lobby!! Not too slow. Staff there were very friendly. Our room was fairly clean, just a used wash cloth in the tub. Went out to the deck one morning to view the stars and lightening over the canyon walls. Amazing. We went to Springdale to eat both nights. Hiked several trails including Angels Landing. Yikes!! A life changing experience. We used the gift shop to buy batteries. Also ate a quick lunch at the snack bar and ate on the expansive lawn. Great soup!!! The shuttle system in the park is very good. We would recommend Zion lodge and would stay there again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No TV
  • Tips/Secrets — Book early
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2006

We stayed at the North Rim, Zion, and Bryce Canyon Xanterra Hotels and had a very good experience at all of them, except Zion. I don't expect a lot at a Natl Park hotel, but Zion's service staff was just plain rude, difficult, and disorganized.

The reception staff member I talked to wouldn't check to see if a room was available when we arrived an hour early for check in (this was not the case at other locations...and certainly wouldn't be the case at a hotel or motel outside of a Natl Park). I didn't expect to be able to check in, but they should at least check for availability. After being told to come back in an hour, I saw the same desk agent check in other guests a few minutes later. I went back to another agent at the desk who "miraculously" found me a room. It was very strange.

The restaurant food was fine - actually quite good. The service was beyond terrible. We were seated promptly, but it took 25 minutes to place our order. We had to remind our busperson to bring our bread and water and then couldn't get a refill of water throughout our entire meal. We didn't see our waiter for half an hour after he delivered our food. After asking buspersons to bring water (which they never did) and get our waiter and then waiting endlessly, we finally grabbed the manager and demanded a glass of water and our check. We still didn't get our check for another 10 minutes while we watched our waiter help other people. It was the first time I've ever left a 5% tip.

Another note about the restaurant: They continued to seat people outside on the terrace even though there was a bee problem there. As the food came out, the bees would swarm around the customers, and they'd have to be moved inside. We saw this happen over and over again. It was truly bizarre that they kept putting people through this.

Also...bring breakfast food....there is no food service here other than in the main dining room until 10 AM except for an understaffed and overpriced espresso bar that carries small muffins. $6.00 for 2 large coffees after waiting 15 minutes on line? This is unacceptable for an isolated location such as this, especially since there are no coffee makers in the rooms (standard these days even at Motel 6).

On top of everything else, the same desk agent who refused me service claimed the printer wasn't working when I asked for a receipt when I checked out. I just told him that wasn't acceptable and he then simply printed it out. For whatever reason he was determined not to help me in any way he could. It was the weirdest experience I've ever had at a hotel desk.

All of this is not the case at other Xanterra locations. For instance there is free coffee at the Bryce Canyon Lodge. The North Rim staff thanked us for checking in early because it would lessen the crush later in the day for them. Food options were better and more plentiful at the other locations as well.

Stayed July 2006
Knoxville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2006

Reading other reviews our experience was much more enjoyable than others. The room was large and very clean. No TV but it is amazing how much fun you can have with kids without them being distracted by the TV. If you are looking for the Ritz this is not it. But if you want to be close to the shuttle and not have to spend all of your time in transportation this fits the bill. I would not recommend eating all of you meals at the resteraunt because it is very pricey for what you get. The lodge room is pricey too but was well worth it for us. Also very quiet. I think that the lodge rooms looked nicer than the cabin rooms.

• Liked — peaceful
  • Disliked — a little pricey
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
Bethesda, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2006

I booked this hotel, as I thought it would be a major advantage to be direclty in the park. However, Springdale is a very short drive away and actually a rather interesting town, with good restaurants and shops. We paid close to $150/night for our motel room, which was rather seedy (although quite a large room). I had thought the views would compensate for the lack of amenities, but in fact we looked out on some worn-out looking cabins and had to ignore them in order to appreciate the view. I had also thought the lodge area would be quiet, but in fact it appears to be a major drop-off place for people visiting the park--so there were many tourists that aggregated around the reception and gift store area.

Given that this was the end of our trip, I think I would have preferred a slightly more luxurious accommodation in Springdale. The views of the mountains there are quite spectacular as well, plus it is easier to get to good eating places. We had a very nice dinner at the Bit and Spur, and a spectacular breakfast as the Spotted Dog Cafe. Would recommend both of these places.

Stayed July 2006

Been to Zion Lodge? Share your experiences!