“An idyllic experience” 5 of 5 stars

Zion National Park, Zion National Park, UT
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Zion's most popular hiking trail is also its most dangerous due to occasional flash floods.
Racine, Wisconsin
9 attraction reviews
“An idyllic experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Don't know why, but I always dreamt about an idyllic place where a clear water river is surrounded by giant mountains... well, guess I've found it! Try to go as far as possible, so you see less and less tourists and therefore you can feel the river just for yourself. Give it plenty of time though - walking on the river is a slow-motion experience.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
South Riding, Virginia
28 attraction reviews
“Amazing hike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Spent a total of 6 hours hiking and made it about 2 miles up the Virgin River. The water was very cold. After a while we either got used to the temperature or were numb we no longer felt it - not sure which.

Grab a hiking stick on your way into the river - there are plenty at the trailhead.

We wore watershoes we bought at Costco. These worked pretty well be we did end up with a few blisters. I'm not sure our shoes were designed for 6 hours use at one time. Rookie mistake (although my husband and I aren't rookies - we've hiked the Narrows a few times now)

Start early, before the crowd. We left the lodget at 7:00. By the time we headed out of the river at 1:30 the place was packed.

Visited June 2014
Edinburgh
32 attraction reviews
“A unique experience but get going early”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I walked up the Narrows in July. It is an amazing slot canyon and a challenge to wade your way up. As other reviewers have stated, I would recommend both shoes and, especially, a pole. We started walking by 8.30am and the Narrows was peaceful, and you would only come across occasional other walkers. The water is not that deep and at this time of year I did not walk through anything deeper than mid-thigh (I am ~6’), but beware as you can pick the wrong route and find your self up to your chest. Do not underestimate the physical effort involved. We went about 1 mile up from Orderville Junction and were tired by the end of the hike.

The return journey was less enjoyable as the river was too crowded in the late morning /early afternoon to enjoy the scenery. Picking your way through the people is almost as much of a challenge as crossing the river.

9 attraction reviews
“Unique Experience - Nothing Like It”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

My bf and I were on a week long hiking trip and we hiked the Narrows on day 4 - Hiked about 5 miles up the river to the Big Springs (5 mi back for a 10 mi RT). If you plan on going out that far I would recommend renting the water shoes package from Zion Outdoor Adventures. They provide you with an aqua sock, hiking water shoes and a walking stick that is 100% useful on this hike. The sign @ the shop says they open at 8am but we arrived about 7:30am and they were open then. For the overall 10 mile trip I did not get any blisters, have any foot/ankle pain or have trouble wading through the water.

We hiked from the bottom up - Definitely have your camera ready as the views are amazing! The slot canyons seem endless when you are looking from the bottom up and they are just absolutely breathtaking/gorgeous views. It was easy to navigate through the areas and depending on the routes you took, you could stay as dry or get as wet as you'd like. I am 5'2 and was able to make it the entire trip without submerging my lower half in the water (probably upper thigh was my deepest point) but if you felt like going for a swim there were plenty of drop offs for you to enjoy (we saw some people jumping into the water from a high cliff point on the wade back).

Warning the "Big Springs" are not that big :) but still gorgeous nonetheless. As always with any hike, make sure you bring plenty of water (I have a 100 oz Camelback and went through about 60-70 on this trip) and snacks to eat for energy replenishment.

If you are visiting Zion National Park, The Narrows is one you will not want to miss.

Winnipeg, Canada
5 attraction reviews
“Spectacular”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

This hike is not to be taken casually. Highly recommend renting the special shoes, socks and walking sticks. The scenery is awesome. Most unique hike we've ever been on. I wouldn't recommend going all the way in if you have bad arthritic knees as you'll be paying for it the next few days.