“Amazing hike” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Hiking Trails, National Parks
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Zion's most popular hiking trail is also its most dangerous due to occasional flash floods.
South Riding, Virginia
26 attraction reviews
“Amazing hike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Spent a total of 6 hours hiking and made it about 2 miles up the Virgin River. The water was very cold. After a while we either got used to the temperature or were numb we no longer felt it - not sure which.

Grab a hiking stick on your way into the river - there are plenty at the trailhead.

We wore watershoes we bought at Costco. These worked pretty well be we did end up with a few blisters. I'm not sure our shoes were designed for 6 hours use at one time. Rookie mistake (although my husband and I aren't rookies - we've hiked the Narrows a few times now)

Start early, before the crowd. We left the lodget at 7:00. By the time we headed out of the river at 1:30 the place was packed.

Visited June 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh
23 attraction reviews
“A unique experience but get going early”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I walked up the Narrows in July. It is an amazing slot canyon and a challenge to wade your way up. As other reviewers have stated, I would recommend both shoes and, especially, a pole. We started walking by 8.30am and the Narrows was peaceful, and you would only come across occasional other walkers. The water is not that deep and at this time of year I did not walk through anything deeper than mid-thigh (I am ~6’), but beware as you can pick the wrong route and find your self up to your chest. Do not underestimate the physical effort involved. We went about 1 mile up from Orderville Junction and were tired by the end of the hike.

The return journey was less enjoyable as the river was too crowded in the late morning /early afternoon to enjoy the scenery. Picking your way through the people is almost as much of a challenge as crossing the river.

8 attraction reviews
“Unique Experience - Nothing Like It”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

My bf and I were on a week long hiking trip and we hiked the Narrows on day 4 - Hiked about 5 miles up the river to the Big Springs (5 mi back for a 10 mi RT). If you plan on going out that far I would recommend renting the water shoes package from Zion Outdoor Adventures. They provide you with an aqua sock, hiking water shoes and a walking stick that is 100% useful on this hike. The sign @ the shop says they open at 8am but we arrived about 7:30am and they were open then. For the overall 10 mile trip I did not get any blisters, have any foot/ankle pain or have trouble wading through the water.

We hiked from the bottom up - Definitely have your camera ready as the views are amazing! The slot canyons seem endless when you are looking from the bottom up and they are just absolutely breathtaking/gorgeous views. It was easy to navigate through the areas and depending on the routes you took, you could stay as dry or get as wet as you'd like. I am 5'2 and was able to make it the entire trip without submerging my lower half in the water (probably upper thigh was my deepest point) but if you felt like going for a swim there were plenty of drop offs for you to enjoy (we saw some people jumping into the water from a high cliff point on the wade back).

Warning the "Big Springs" are not that big :) but still gorgeous nonetheless. As always with any hike, make sure you bring plenty of water (I have a 100 oz Camelback and went through about 60-70 on this trip) and snacks to eat for energy replenishment.

If you are visiting Zion National Park, The Narrows is one you will not want to miss.

Winnipeg, Canada
5 attraction reviews
“Spectacular”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

This hike is not to be taken casually. Highly recommend renting the special shoes, socks and walking sticks. The scenery is awesome. Most unique hike we've ever been on. I wouldn't recommend going all the way in if you have bad arthritic knees as you'll be paying for it the next few days.

9 attraction reviews
“Beautiful! A MUST in this lifetime ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Zion is beautiful from the Visitors center to MT. Sinawawa. Because we had small children with us between 9 years old and 3 years old we didn't do any big hikes. Lower emerald pools is beautiful with ice cold water trickling down the mountain sides. The narrow is awesome, you can walk off path for a short time and walk riverside. Lots of wildlife, deer, squirrel, eagles and turkey. The path is fully paved until you hit the entrance so lots of families had strollers. Walking in The Narrows the kids loved. Tubbies or shoes for water is a MUST! Your walking in water that you can't see through so you can't see any big rocks. Water can go from knee high to chest high so walking sticks is a must. The canyons you're walking between is beautiful and so worth the $25. Will be visiting again.