“All boat sites full” 3 of 5 stars

218-374-3221
Improve this listing
“All boat sites full”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Scenic area, but campsites are first come first serve. All sites were full on our visit. Ones needs to travel many miles between campsites. It was very frustrating spending the day just looking for an empty campsite. Again beautiful area, but it frustrating, hopefully the park service can come up with a better systemin the future.

Visited July 2013

Birmingham, Alabama
19 attraction reviews
“Best Place To Go If You Don't Have A Boat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Our boat tour was cancelled due to sequestration. I wish I had come to Ash River before the other areas of the park. There are several short trails with overlooks which are very nice. If you aren't going on a boat tour or don't have a your own boat, then this is your next best option.

Visited June 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
329 attraction reviews
“Quite, scenic beauty-probably the closest Voyageur experience without a boat.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

It was fairly early in the morning when I rolled into the Ash River section of Voyageurs National Park. This is a sleepy area, and I started down the forest overlook trail but as the trail melted away and the bugs overcame my desire, I turned back. I did make it through the beaver pond overlook and that was worth the hike and the extra bug spray. While at the visitors center (which was closed) I did enjoy the lone island off in the distance, a beaver making some breakfast out of a birch tree and what I imagine the best of the Voyageurs park without having a boat. These are the rocky shorelines I would expect to see...

Visited July 2013
Marcell, Minnesota
4 attraction reviews
“Very interesting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

They have all types of maps and the staff is great. You can get all kinds of information about the area and the lake.

Visited September 2012
International Falls, Minnesota
3 attraction reviews
“Ash River”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I brought my cousin there from Texas and he like the area so much we called about some property that was for sale close by.