“Realy enjoyed staying @ skyland.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Skyland Resort

Save Saved
You added Skyland Resort to your Saves list
Skyland Resort
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   Mile 41.7 Skyline Drive, Shenandoah National Park, Shenandoah National Park, VA 22835   |
Flemish Brabant Province, Belgium
“Realy enjoyed staying @ skyland.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Infrastructure may be a bit old but largely compensated by suberb views and tranquility. Menu in resto needs some update. Room was clean and staff friendly. I would return but first i will try to visit some other nat parks in th the USA

Room Tip: I think lower level cabins have best views over the valley
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
Accrington, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a preferred room which had been upgraded. It was spotlessly clean. The only downside was that the great view was shaded by the trees so the sunset could only been seen through the trees. A second floor room would have had a better view. When I asked the receptionist if our room had a good view she assured me it had! We had breakfast on both mornings and I was satisfactory but nothing special. The same for the evening meal.

Troy, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The view from the room balcony was awesome. We spent a lot of time sitting and watching from the balcony. Room was spacious and neat. The restaurant as well as taproom were awesome. There was a short hike (Stony man trail) with spectacular views near the resort.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

There are only 2 places along Skyline Drive where you can stop to eat at an actual restaurant type setting. We stopped here, at Skyland Resort. What a huge mistake that was. The dining room was mostly empty, maybe 8 tables of diners and there were 4 servers but we waited almost 15 minutes to get waited on. It took awhile to get our food, and I use that term loosely, and when we did it was horrible. My husband got a burger with fries and a pickle. I got fish and chips with fries and coleslaw. The fries were stone cold. I am not real picky about the temperature of food, I can eat pizza out of the refrigerator but these fries were inedible. The coleslaw was disgusting and I may go as far to say that it was actually bad as in almost rancid. I didn't get lemon with the meal or catsup even after we asked. We finally had to ask a neighboring table for theirs. I didn't know that the Raspberry Lemonade would be lemonade from the soda machine with some raspberry syrup added. It was really bad. If we ever do this ride again, I will be sure to pack a picnic lunch and you should do the same.

Ann Arbor, Mi.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We spent the 4th of July weekend here and for the most part it lived up to our expectations. The sites and views were absolutely amazing and would be hard to beat anywhere! The staff at the desk were great as were the restaurant staff. The only downfall to the whole place is their housekeeping and the cleanliness (or lack of) in the rooms. Upon checkin, there were "body hairs" in the shower. We thought not a huge deal, everything else looked good so we cleaned that. A few hours later I dropped ice cubes on the tile floor and wiped it up with a wash cloth and the cloth turned black. Turns out the filthy nasty tile floors never get cleaned, only broomed off as opposed to actually being mopped. Each day when housekeeping would come in to touch up the rooms, they would make the beds but never once really cleaned the rooms. The same debris were on the floors day after day. House keeping would "hang out" at a building off the back of our deck each day. When we would try to sit on the deck and relax you would hear them for hours talking, joking, and cursing as loud as could be over there. Overall the views made it worth the trip but they really need to "clean house" with their house keeping. I heard another guest at the desk complaining about the filthy room also. For the price of the rooms and the fact you get no A/C, phone, internet, and the worlds slowest single serve coffee pot (we went to Walmart and bought a new coffee pot for the room on day 2), I expect a VERY clean room! Had housekeeping been at all decent we would have scored everything tops.

Room Tip: We were told Big Meadows Lodge is the place to stay if you want a clean and well kept room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Return trip- loved it. I proposed to my wife under the white oak canyon falls 16 years ago and we repeated the hike and swim this year. The resort is on a spectacular location with above average facilities and decent food.

• Stayed July 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The Trip was great and Relaxing at Skyline Resort. The location is awesome! The Skyline drive was a great experience like every time. The Room was ideal and neat. We enjoyed sitting outside the balcony in the morning and evening. The Excellent view of the valley below was so soothing.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Skyland Resort? Share your experiences!