“Amazing View” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Old Rag Mountain Hike

Old Rag Mountain Hike
Website
Improve this listing
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Parks, Hiking Trails, State Parks, Caverns/ Caves, Mountains, National Parks, Trails, Forests
Attraction Details
Tampa, Florida
24 attraction reviews
“Amazing View”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The drive getting to the parking lot of this trail is a little far from the main road. Get in early, parking spaces fill up quickly. The map for Old Ridge said the trail is strenuous - for a beginner, it is true. This can also be an all day experience. From the parking lot tot he start of the trail is about a mile. The first two miles of the trail is okay, not much going on. A little pass mile 2, there are some rocks you can rest on and have a good view of the bottom forest. When you hit the beginning of the third mile, you can get a good view on the other side of the mountain. Good place for a picnic too. After this area, the rocky trail begins. I'm not a mountain climber but you need to have a good balance and stamina to get to the very top of the mountain. Some of the rocks can be slippery, so be careful. There is a sign that will tell you the highest peak of the mountain - it will be around mile 4. The view from the top is amazing. Even now, I still could not find the right word/s other than amazing to describe the feeling being on top of that mountain. I suggest going through the whole trail, saw many hikers who after reaching the summit turned around. The walk down from the summit requires a good amount of endurance. As a runner, I would have sped through but living in Florida you don't get to see and experience this much lush forestry and cool weather. It is a nice path to clear your head and just enjoy the scenery. Also If you find yourself in need of assistance, there are volunteers who goes around the trail on a daily basis and there is a phone on the second shelter where you can call for park rangers to pick you up. I suggest to bring liquids with electrolytes as they may come in handy and some snacks too.

Pahoa, Hawaii
6 attraction reviews
“Perfect escape from the beach, a mountain climbing experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

As I look at the reviews, I realize that people do not consider this a "beginner" hike. It's actually not that hard, you just need to be in some sort of shape and can walk at least 9 miles. The rock scramble was the hardest part and that was only because we wore slippery running shoes. I'm not a mountain climber and I rarely hike because I live on a giant sandbar (no real hikes here!). This is one adventure I cannot believe I did not know about until my friends in Richmond called me up. Amazing views, perfect to pack a lunch for & just all around fun in general. Do it if you know about it!

Culpeper, Virginia, United States
“Rigorous hike with an oustanding reward!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This hike is not for the beginner. Make sure you have good knees and can handle a little cardio activity. Mostly well groomed trails, a little bit of rock scrambling, and a chance to do some bouldering at the top. The views at the summit are breathtaking!

Visited April 2012
Mays Landing, New Jersey
5 attraction reviews
“East coast must”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

If you are seeking a premier hike on the east coast then this is your challenge. The length is just short of 9 miles and is a test of strength and stamina. With an elevation gain in excess of 2k feet it will be a climb, but well worth the effort. The rock scramble to the summit is a test but the views are awesome. Bring sufficient water.

Visited August 2012
5 attraction reviews
“Scrambling Was Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

As avid hikers, the beginning of the hike was a little slow, but as we increased our elevation quickly and hit the first boulders, our outlook changed. We got hit with quite a bit of rain, so the rocks were a little slippery, but that just meant we take our time. The bouldering portion of the hike was incredible. We've bouldered before, but nothing like this. It lasted for quite some time (I think we were above treeline for about 1.5-2 hours) and it just kept going! We had fog the entire time so we couldn't see the views when we reached the summit, but others we met said you can usually see for miles. I definitely recommend this hike to anyone visiting by and around the Appalachian Trail. It's a great hike!