“A cozy cabin for two” 4 of 5 stars

Skyline Drive, Shenandoah National Park, VA   |
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A cozy cabin for two”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

My husband and I rented a cabin at Lewis Cabins in Shenandoah National Park. It is about 2.5 hours from downtown DC. When we got to the park we were greeted by park rangers at the southeast gate entrance. They were friendly and helpful. It was a $15 fee to have a car for up to one week. We drove for a a couple miles up Skyline Drive and made a right towards the Lewis Cabins Campsite. It was an easy check in, and before we knew it we were starting our fire in our own fire pit. Each cabin has it's own outdoor covered patio, bear-proof food cabinet, and table and chairs. you just need to bring/buy firewood charcoal, matches, and cooking utensils (pots, pans, spatula, tongs, aluminum foil, etc).

The cabin was not as rustic as I imagined, but still very charming. There is a small private bath with a stand up shower room, a fairly big closet, and a dresser drawer. The cabin is also heated for cooler fall stays.

In case you do forget something, there is a small souvenir store with some packaged food, snacks, drinks and a few staples.

There are a ton of trails to hike and views to see. We did the waterfall trail about 5 miles north from Lewis Cabins. We then had lunch at the the Skyland Resort.

We only stayed one night, but wished we could have stayed for at least one more. It was so relaxing, quiet, private, and romantic. Since we live in DC, it is very rare to hear crickets and see stars. It was a very enjoyable short trip. We would definitely like to come back, perhaps with a bigger group of friends and enjoy the fire pit together, but we can retreat back to our own private cabins.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Nijmegen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

We booked this cabin in the day of arrival - got the last one, only because it was mid-week and not school holidays. Cabin was clean and picturesque. Bring your own food if you want anything fancy, but we were able to grab some hotdogs and firewood on arrival. Deer strolling round at dinner time. Really peaceful setting. Our favourite place on our US holiday.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

Park is one of the most beautiful I have been too, great views along Skyline drive. Cabin surroundings nice, great wildlife viewing. Deer really friendly, closest I have ever been. Cabin very clean, supprisingly ,since after dark it becomes a mouse playground. I was awakened by not one, but several mice climbing in and out of our bags, up walls, and even across my husbands feet in the bathroom. I didn't sleep all night, even with the light on ,the mice persisted...Obviously not bothered by humans. I suggest if you do stay here, keep your food in the car, which we did, neighbors say their bread was eaten. Store employees say they have never had complaints of mice, but neighbors on both sides confirm mouse encounters. The infestation is unfortunate, otherwise no compalints.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

Ok- overall I really liked the cabin. It was clean- unlike the last review I read- I actually found the cabin to be cleaner than expected. The bathroom was nice- shower was clean, floors, bed, sheets, dresser, outside area- was all clean. It was located in a great spot. Has a nice fire pit. Cabins aren't too close together.

My only problem- and it's kind of a big one- I heard rats/mice in the walls all night. I kept waking up and looking for them and I am 99% sure they were only in the walls and not roaming around the room. But honestly- the cabins are in the middle of the woods- I don't know how there wouldn't be critters. PLUS- it had been raining for 14 days in a row- I'm sure that drove them indoors as well. I would stay here again- but not during the raining season.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

The cabins are rustic with outdated decore and bedding. However, the moutains and the trees surrounding the cabin more than make up for (or add to) the rustic experience. the cabins have bathrooms and large living space. Only table is outside near the fire pit. If it's raining you'll get wet just to eat at a table.

I love cabins, but this one fell short. It could have been much cleaner. There were visible, multiple mouse droppings along one wall behind the metal bed frame. It was infested like the another reviewer mentioned, but they should have cleaned the room.

Also, upon check-in they charged an additional $10 fee b/c the rates just changed (without notice). For $107/night, we could have stayed in a clean hotel room--but not in the mountains.

I'd be embarrased to recommend staying here, b/c it just wasn't very clean.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

In July I took the Inn-to-Inn hike starting at Skyland, then to Big Meadows, to Lewis Mountain Cabins, then turned around and went back to Big Meadows and finished at Skyland. Of the three facilities, I enjoyed my evening spent here the most. The cabin was clean and very comfortable. Previous reviewers have complained about rodents, but I neither saw nor heard any evidence of infestation. The only critters about were deer and a few insects. The two staff persons I met were very friendly and helpful. They operate a small store that has just about everything you need for your stay. The store closes at 6:00 PM and from then til nine the next morning you are on your own. You prepare your own meal in the grill provided and eat outdoors. I spent the evening reading, watching deer, and just enjoying the solitude. Slept very well. Evening was cool for July and did not miss a/c at all. Just an all around great experience!!

• Liked — The staff and the solitude
  • Disliked — Nice if the store opened earlier in the morning
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
bighungryguy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2007

I was looking for information on the tent cabins when we set up this trip and couldn't find much so maybe this will be helpful to others. The tent cabin was described accurately to me by the staff at Lewis Mountain when I called to reserve it. It is extremely simple. There are 2 metal bunk beds with mattresses, and a wood stove on the concrete floor. the walls are constructed of wood and covered in a combination of carving and grafitti, but i did not notice anything profane or inappropriate. there is a back porch with a picnic table and a bear box. there are 2 windows on the back porch that are screened in and are secured by a sliding piece of wood. there is also a fire ring and water pump directly behind the cabin. It's not apparent from the pictures, but all of the cabins sit pretty close together. I was hoping the experience would be a little more remote as the cabins sit pretty close to the road. the public facilities consist of a locking private bathroom with a pay shower at the campstore which was actuallly pretty cool and in very good condition. there is also a bigger bathroom facility with no shower in the center of the tent campgrounds. the lewis mountain trail was nice and the view was awesome. I chose the tent cabin because i have small children and wanted to be able to contain the at night and keep the bears out with something stronger than nylon. All in all it was roughly the experience I expected. The one disappointment i had was that the park management is handled by Aramark. The cost efficiency efforts show. Also, bring groceries, beverages, marshmallows etc. with you as the prices at the campstore are sky-high.

• Liked — proximity to hiking trails
  • Disliked — condition of interior of cabin
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Lewis Mountain Cabins? Share your experiences!