“Nice, quiet cabins for Shenandoah” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lewis Mountain Cabins

You added Lewis Mountain Cabins to your Saves list
Lewis Mountain Cabins
Skyline Drive, Shenandoah National Park, VA   |
“Nice, quiet cabins for Shenandoah”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed here for four nights after a night at Skyland. Compared to Skyland, I thought this was way better. Sure, there's no amazing view outside your window or off of your back porch, but there also aren't a million other people milling around. The cabins and campground have a nice, laid back feel, and when so much of Shenandoah is already such a madhouse (especially on summer weekends) it's nice to get away from it a little bit. The cabins are spacious and comfortable (although the 'single' cabins are really connected, so chances are you'll have a neighbor). Each room comes with a little picnic area outside, which is perfect. Would recommend.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This is a small campsite. If you choose a campsite on the outer portion; then you have more privacy. Sites 16 and 14 are best, then 15. The AP trail is just behind these sites. When we were there sites 31, 30 side had more noisey campers. We arrived here on a Wed, and picked 16. The center sites are like being in a fishbowl. I would avoid these sites if possible. There is a small expensive camp store, showers for reasonable pay, laundry. It was mostly quite for my side until Friday. Then the weekender's arrived and were not quiet at the 10 pm quiet hr. After mentioning this on my way out; I learned The hosts and rangers want your feedback on noisy campers and need to know which campsites are the noisey ones. When they walk around sometimes the campers become quiet and then later return to making their noise. The idea for the national parks campground is tranquility. The ranger is the one who enforces the quiet hours and needs specifics. They support the idea of sleeping in order to hike over partying all night, but they need to know.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Freehold, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We (2 adults and a small child) had a one night stay here in early August before moving on to Skyland Resorts, and I wished we could have had another night. Ours was a 2-bedroom cabin with a connecting bathroom.

I agree with the reviewers who described their stay as "high-class camping." How often does camping mean a stay in an historical cabin built with chestnut wood (including the floors), iron-framed mattress beds, electricity, a private bathroom w/showers, and your own front porch and back patio for eating and relaxing in? The water was hot when you turn it on, the towels were thick, and the beds comfortable. Granted the floors could have been swept cleaner, but I came in with a "camping" mentality and just kept my sandals or socks on when I walked around the room. We had a downpour overnight and the cabin sheltered us from the elements. The surrounding woods were beautiful and the air clean. It was so quiet we felt like the only ones here. The scent of the air in the morning was fresh and sweet, and we enjoyed a lovely campfire the night before. Special compliments go to Randll, who checked us in and provided stories and bits of history about the cabins.

The one thing you need to be aware of is that there is no dining service nearby unless you drive several miles to the north or south, or down to the valley - outside the park boundaries. Because I was unprepared for the rain that continued into the morning, starting a fire and cooking breakfast was a particular challenge, but I was determined to cook the eggs I brought. Bringing a propane stove as a backup measure would have made things a lot easier. We'll be more prepared the next time, and -yes, there WILL be a next time!

Room Tip: We stayed in Cabin 1&2 (2 BDRs sharing a connected BTH) which is next to the picnic grounds, so...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

I had read mixed reviews about Lewis Mountains' cabins and campsite, but I was very pleasantly surprised with what we found!

I was traveling with my parents and we arrived after hours (around 8.30 or so) on a Friday evening. The warden on duty in the camp shop (there's someone available 24 hours a day) was extremely welcoming and made sure we had everything we needed for the night. We stayed in cabin 10; it was clean, well furnished and more comfortable than other National Park accommodation I've stayed in. The warden was very apologetic about the "single" cabin (which contained a fully full-sized bed), and insisted on bringing a camp bed so that I didn't have to sleep on the floor--our usual set-up for 3-man trips!

We stayed for a couple of nights and I would certainly return again--what greater recommendation can there be!

Room Tip: Room 10 is good, if you have a choice, it's a little set-back from the road and has fairy lights...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

We were here in July 2011 and loved the cabins. We love the making-food-on-the-grill aspect of camping, and like to explore the area for most part. We have been tent campers in the past, but prefer cabins when traveling with parents (like in this case). We stayed in connecting cabins 5-6. Cabins were basic but had all the necessities, clean linens, towels, and other small necessities. The nice steel box on the back, to store food was quite good! the store manager is really really nice and accommodating and loves to tell Bear stories.
You cannot beat the location. You are on skyline drive in a matter of 30 seconds and on the top of the mountain!! It is close to such beautiful sunset points (our favorite-The Point overlook and Hazel mt overlook) for sunset and Big meadows lodge is less than 10 miles for a spectacular sunrise. We even went to Luray caverns which is an hour's drive. You can see a lot of deer and we also saw a bobcat! we did not hike at all, so did not see any bears, but hikers did claim that they saw a few on some of the hikes. Butterflies were also present in surprising numbers and varieties (which made really nice subjects for my dad's newly found love for DSLRs!
We will certainly be back here to stay when visiting Shenandoah!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

I just returned from a (1) night stay with my husband and infant daughter--we stayed in cabin 9. Overall, the cabin was better than expected. Inside it has a nice "woodsy" log cabin feel and was pretty clean (yes, there are cobwebs in places and it is a little worn, saw a few large ants but no spiders, mice or anything gross/scary). The bathroom and shower were the best part of it, very clean shower and very hot water for showers was available)--it was nice to have a sink in the bathroom too. The cabin was nice and cool inside, we ended up even having to turn on the radiator for a little bit at night..but then turn it quickly off because it gets pretty hot. There is no fridge or oven, we did nicely (for 1 night) with a small cooler...I can't imagine how you can keep things cooler for much longer though.. and a Coleman propane stove outside. We did not use the bear-box and kept the food in the cabin (off the floor). The bed and bedding were ok, we did bring our own pillows though. The camp store (very close to the cabins) was a nice surprise too, they had everything you could possibly need while camping or "cabining", my husband was happy about the beers for .99 cents; all the prices seemed pretty reasonable though, considering. The staff at the camp store were very kind and helpful too.

Room Tip: 1 and 2 bedroom cabins = same price!
Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

I could only find one review on the tent cabin from a few years ago but the description was right-on. Wooden structure on cement floor - two steel bunk beds with mattresses on the inside along with two old wooden chairs and a pot-bellied stove. A cold water spigot, critter proof trash can, bear-box, picnic table and fire pit all outside. There are cold/warm water showers with toilets and sinks available (shower is $1 for five minutes) at the camp store as well as a separate building toilets and sinks in the middle of the campground. We only bought ice and a postcard at the campstore and prices are just a bit higher than outside. Wood was $5 for a small bundle but it was perfectly seasoned and smelled so good. Deer came around in the evening and especially at dawn. Folks checking into the campground after 9pm on Friday night had no campground etiquette with car lights on and loud talking but it didn't seem to scare the large critter I heard snuffling in the woods behind our cabin (never saw it though). Bugs were around early morning to early evening - no biting, just irritating flies and gnats. Attempted the Bearfence Rock Scramble which to me is climbing rocks and quite difficult-perhaps I'll try again in the fall after I pump up a bit. The host, campstore staff and rangers all very friendly but why wouldn't they be when they're surrounded by such beauty. Will probably get a cabin next time just to avoid the bugs and have a private toilet.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Been to Lewis Mountain Cabins? Share your experiences!