“Lovely location, nice cabins and perfect weekend spot” 4 of 5 stars

You added Lewis Mountain Cabins to your Saves list
Lewis Mountain Cabins
Skyline Drive, Shenandoah National Park, VA   |
New Jersey
“Lovely location, nice cabins and perfect weekend spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

We were here in July 2011 and loved the cabins. We love the making-food-on-the-grill aspect of camping, and like to explore the area for most part. We have been tent campers in the past, but prefer cabins when traveling with parents (like in this case). We stayed in connecting cabins 5-6. Cabins were basic but had all the necessities, clean linens, towels, and other small necessities. The nice steel box on the back, to store food was quite good! the store manager is really really nice and accommodating and loves to tell Bear stories.
You cannot beat the location. You are on skyline drive in a matter of 30 seconds and on the top of the mountain!! It is close to such beautiful sunset points (our favorite-The Point overlook and Hazel mt overlook) for sunset and Big meadows lodge is less than 10 miles for a spectacular sunrise. We even went to Luray caverns which is an hour's drive. You can see a lot of deer and we also saw a bobcat! we did not hike at all, so did not see any bears, but hikers did claim that they saw a few on some of the hikes. Butterflies were also present in surprising numbers and varieties (which made really nice subjects for my dad's newly found love for DSLRs!
We will certainly be back here to stay when visiting Shenandoah!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

41 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

I just returned from a (1) night stay with my husband and infant daughter--we stayed in cabin 9. Overall, the cabin was better than expected. Inside it has a nice "woodsy" log cabin feel and was pretty clean (yes, there are cobwebs in places and it is a little worn, saw a few large ants but no spiders, mice or anything gross/scary). The bathroom and shower were the best part of it, very clean shower and very hot water for showers was available)--it was nice to have a sink in the bathroom too. The cabin was nice and cool inside, we ended up even having to turn on the radiator for a little bit at night..but then turn it quickly off because it gets pretty hot. There is no fridge or oven, we did nicely (for 1 night) with a small cooler...I can't imagine how you can keep things cooler for much longer though.. and a Coleman propane stove outside. We did not use the bear-box and kept the food in the cabin (off the floor). The bed and bedding were ok, we did bring our own pillows though. The camp store (very close to the cabins) was a nice surprise too, they had everything you could possibly need while camping or "cabining", my husband was happy about the beers for .99 cents; all the prices seemed pretty reasonable though, considering. The staff at the camp store were very kind and helpful too.

Room Tip: 1 and 2 bedroom cabins = same price!
Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

I could only find one review on the tent cabin from a few years ago but the description was right-on. Wooden structure on cement floor - two steel bunk beds with mattresses on the inside along with two old wooden chairs and a pot-bellied stove. A cold water spigot, critter proof trash can, bear-box, picnic table and fire pit all outside. There are cold/warm water showers with toilets and sinks available (shower is $1 for five minutes) at the camp store as well as a separate building toilets and sinks in the middle of the campground. We only bought ice and a postcard at the campstore and prices are just a bit higher than outside. Wood was $5 for a small bundle but it was perfectly seasoned and smelled so good. Deer came around in the evening and especially at dawn. Folks checking into the campground after 9pm on Friday night had no campground etiquette with car lights on and loud talking but it didn't seem to scare the large critter I heard snuffling in the woods behind our cabin (never saw it though). Bugs were around early morning to early evening - no biting, just irritating flies and gnats. Attempted the Bearfence Rock Scramble which to me is climbing rocks and quite difficult-perhaps I'll try again in the fall after I pump up a bit. The host, campstore staff and rangers all very friendly but why wouldn't they be when they're surrounded by such beauty. Will probably get a cabin next time just to avoid the bugs and have a private toilet.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

My husband and I rented a cabin at Lewis Cabins in Shenandoah National Park. It is about 2.5 hours from downtown DC. When we got to the park we were greeted by park rangers at the southeast gate entrance. They were friendly and helpful. It was a $15 fee to have a car for up to one week. We drove for a a couple miles up Skyline Drive and made a right towards the Lewis Cabins Campsite. It was an easy check in, and before we knew it we were starting our fire in our own fire pit. Each cabin has it's own outdoor covered patio, bear-proof food cabinet, and table and chairs. you just need to bring/buy firewood charcoal, matches, and cooking utensils (pots, pans, spatula, tongs, aluminum foil, etc).

The cabin was not as rustic as I imagined, but still very charming. There is a small private bath with a stand up shower room, a fairly big closet, and a dresser drawer. The cabin is also heated for cooler fall stays.

In case you do forget something, there is a small souvenir store with some packaged food, snacks, drinks and a few staples.

There are a ton of trails to hike and views to see. We did the waterfall trail about 5 miles north from Lewis Cabins. We then had lunch at the the Skyland Resort.

We only stayed one night, but wished we could have stayed for at least one more. It was so relaxing, quiet, private, and romantic. Since we live in DC, it is very rare to hear crickets and see stars. It was a very enjoyable short trip. We would definitely like to come back, perhaps with a bigger group of friends and enjoy the fire pit together, but we can retreat back to our own private cabins.

Nijmegen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

We booked this cabin in the day of arrival - got the last one, only because it was mid-week and not school holidays. Cabin was clean and picturesque. Bring your own food if you want anything fancy, but we were able to grab some hotdogs and firewood on arrival. Deer strolling round at dinner time. Really peaceful setting. Our favourite place on our US holiday.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

Park is one of the most beautiful I have been too, great views along Skyline drive. Cabin surroundings nice, great wildlife viewing. Deer really friendly, closest I have ever been. Cabin very clean, supprisingly ,since after dark it becomes a mouse playground. I was awakened by not one, but several mice climbing in and out of our bags, up walls, and even across my husbands feet in the bathroom. I didn't sleep all night, even with the light on ,the mice persisted...Obviously not bothered by humans. I suggest if you do stay here, keep your food in the car, which we did, neighbors say their bread was eaten. Store employees say they have never had complaints of mice, but neighbors on both sides confirm mouse encounters. The infestation is unfortunate, otherwise no compalints.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

Ok- overall I really liked the cabin. It was clean- unlike the last review I read- I actually found the cabin to be cleaner than expected. The bathroom was nice- shower was clean, floors, bed, sheets, dresser, outside area- was all clean. It was located in a great spot. Has a nice fire pit. Cabins aren't too close together.

My only problem- and it's kind of a big one- I heard rats/mice in the walls all night. I kept waking up and looking for them and I am 99% sure they were only in the walls and not roaming around the room. But honestly- the cabins are in the middle of the woods- I don't know how there wouldn't be critters. PLUS- it had been raining for 14 days in a row- I'm sure that drove them indoors as well. I would stay here again- but not during the raining season.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Lewis Mountain Cabins? Share your experiences!