“Hey must-see national Park!” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Scenic Drives, Bodies of Water
Activities: Driving, Biking
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: 105-mile scenic drive built in the 1930's goes through the entire length of the park.
Allentown PA
21 attraction reviews
“Hey must-see national Park!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We had a beautiful day in the Shenandoah national Park including a restaurant meal at the main hotel restaurant, as well as a hike among falls and a wonderful drive down skyline. This is a must do vacations spot for Virginia. The kids enjoyed it, the views fantastic, the wildlife was everywhere. The nice part about this park is that there are many things to do as a family with guided tours and instructional lessons for the children, as well as individual hiking, group hiking, or strolls on flatter territory that have beautiful views and sites as well. I was surprised to find beautiful waterfalls tucked into different sections of the park and as a result we're able to hike in a moderate way towards these falls, take great pictures, rest, relax, and then return without too much strain. Overall beautiful photo opportunity as well as a well-rounded vacation spot for everyone.

Visited June 2013

Chicago, Illinois
20 attraction reviews
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We used skyline drive multiple times throughout our visit this past week- each at different times of the day. I'm glad we did because the deer are much more active later in the day. There are multiple overlooks that you can pull over and take pics- totally optional. It's fun talking to other drivers at each of the outlooks to see what they've seen, what they've hiked, etc. We didn't have a problem with traffic, but you should definitely be aware of the weather before heading on. There is a 15 dollar charge, but if you keep your receipt, you can use it for the entire week.

Visited June 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 attraction reviews
“Wildlife”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I have been to Shenandoah National Park 4 times and I have loved my trips there. I am 17 years old and I loved all my trips there. I have drove all over Skyline Drive, hiked to a waterfall, biked around big meadows, and have photographed many bears and deer. One of the bears I saw there only had 1 ear. I didn't get a picture of that bear because my camera died. But I got pictures of many others. But all around I loved my trips there. And I only live 73 miles from there.

Visited July 2012
Toronto, Canada
18 attraction reviews
“Quiet drive in May”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We started the drive at the most southern end (Rockfish), and although it was quite damp and cloudy, we manged to get some breathtaking views of the valley below. We did not see any live animals, nor did we meet any other tourists on the drive up to Luray. There is some construction going on in some of the outlooks, and many were closed, but the views from the others was spectacular. There are dozens of spots to stop and take pictures, and although it may take 3 hours to drive the skyline, it will take much longer if you stop frequently like we did. The condition of the road is excellent, and we had a little problem keeping to the speed limit! Beware of the smokies,,,

Visited May 2013
King George
“Bears Everywheres”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Last July 2012, my son and I spent 48 hrs camping on Skyline Drive. We knew there was a large number of black bears in Shenandoah and hope to see one or two. In the time we were there, we spent most of our time driving slow. We saw one bear, then two, three and before we left we got pictures and video of 18 bears in 48 hrs. We are looking to go back in a couple of weeks.

Visited July 2012