“Beautiful” 5 of 5 stars

Day Trip to Shenandoah National Park
Type: Scenic Drives, Bodies of Water, Outdoors
Activities: Driving, Biking
More attraction details
Owner description: 105-mile scenic drive built in the 1930's goes through the entire length of the park.
Chicago, Illinois
22 attraction reviews
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We used skyline drive multiple times throughout our visit this past week- each at different times of the day. I'm glad we did because the deer are much more active later in the day. There are multiple overlooks that you can pull over and take pics- totally optional. It's fun talking to other drivers at each of the outlooks to see what they've seen, what they've hiked, etc. We didn't have a problem with traffic, but you should definitely be aware of the weather before heading on. There is a 15 dollar charge, but if you keep your receipt, you can use it for the entire week.

Visited June 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 attraction reviews
“Wildlife”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I have been to Shenandoah National Park 4 times and I have loved my trips there. I am 17 years old and I loved all my trips there. I have drove all over Skyline Drive, hiked to a waterfall, biked around big meadows, and have photographed many bears and deer. One of the bears I saw there only had 1 ear. I didn't get a picture of that bear because my camera died. But I got pictures of many others. But all around I loved my trips there. And I only live 73 miles from there.

Visited July 2012
Toronto, Canada
18 attraction reviews
“Quiet drive in May”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We started the drive at the most southern end (Rockfish), and although it was quite damp and cloudy, we manged to get some breathtaking views of the valley below. We did not see any live animals, nor did we meet any other tourists on the drive up to Luray. There is some construction going on in some of the outlooks, and many were closed, but the views from the others was spectacular. There are dozens of spots to stop and take pictures, and although it may take 3 hours to drive the skyline, it will take much longer if you stop frequently like we did. The condition of the road is excellent, and we had a little problem keeping to the speed limit! Beware of the smokies,,,

Visited May 2013
King George
“Bears Everywheres”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Last July 2012, my son and I spent 48 hrs camping on Skyline Drive. We knew there was a large number of black bears in Shenandoah and hope to see one or two. In the time we were there, we spent most of our time driving slow. We saw one bear, then two, three and before we left we got pictures and video of 18 bears in 48 hrs. We are looking to go back in a couple of weeks.

Visited July 2012
Crystal Lake, Illinois
20 attraction reviews
“Scenic Drive in a Lovely National Park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

If you are considering going to Shenandoah National Park and driving the 105 mile Skyline Drive from Front Royal, VA to the Rockfish Gap south entrance, you will be treated to some scenic beauty and opportunities to get out and explore this wonderful park. The speed limit on the drive is 35 mph, which forces you to take your time and enjoy the scenery. There are multiple overlooks which take in many vistas of the Shenandoah Valley. There are also several trails along the drive, but keep in mind that at 35 mph it will take three hours just to complete the drive without eating, bathroom breaks, and stops for Kodak moments. If you plan on any lengthy hikes, and want to complete the drive in one day, you must allow yourself plenty of time for the journey.

We did the drive in mid May, and were a little disappointed that there were not more flowers in bloom, but if that area experienced the same kind of spring we had in the midwest, it appears the growing season was delayed two to three weeks. We also did not see an abundance of wildlife, but we did get to see one young black bear foraging near the road.

At the time of year that we went, we pretty much had the road to ourselves, as there were few visitors. I would imagine that the beauty of the fall colors could result in gridlock on the drive, so I guess both times of year have their advantages. Regardless of when you visit, you will find Shenandoah National Park a pleasant experience.

Visited May 2013