“I really like this trip / drive / area” 5 of 5 stars

Day Trip to Shenandoah National Park
Type: Scenic Drives, Bodies of Water, Outdoors
Activities: Driving, Biking
More attraction details
Owner description: 105-mile scenic drive built in the 1930's goes through the entire length of the park.
Auburn, Maine
93 attraction reviews
“I really like this trip / drive / area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This is one of my favorite areas to visit when I am in the area. The drive is very scenic, pleasant, slow paced.

I have been lucky enough to catch some small Black Bears in the road, as well as deer. The deer were nipping my tires at the hotel the next morning, which was cool, but I did make sure they didn't make a meal out of them.

There are no less then 25 Scenic turnoffs along the drive, and several other great little hikes.

Skyline drive is a Toll Road, but worth every penny to drive it. The first part is some 100 miles long, and the prettiest and best maintained part. This is part of the Blue Ridge Parkway and the whole road is some 200 miles +- long.

There isn't much in the way of places to eat and or gas, so MAKE sure you have stuff to eat, and a FULL tank of gas, if you drive Skyline and Blue Ridge Drives in one shot.

Yes, there a (Very) few points to exit, and if you need to, get off when you see one and don't wait until the next one.

Visited June 2012

Charlottesville, Virginia
16 attraction reviews
“Stunning fall color”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I wasn't sure what we'd see, since the fall had been very warm, but the colors from the ridge looked fantastic. I'd love to go Big Meadow Lodge for a sunset dinner.

Visited October 2012
Alexandria, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
“Love love love -- 365 days a year!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I usually only travel Skyline Drive in the summer or fall (for the colors), but recently spent a weekend at a nearby cabin. My better half and I spent two full days hiking the trails and it couldn't have been more perfect. Middle of winter or not -- Skyline Drive is gorgeous and a must-see.

Visited January 2013
Bangor, Pennsylvania
9 attraction reviews
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

It's a nice relaxing drive with plenty of places to pull over and enjoy spectacular views. The speed limit is 25mph so don't be in a hurry.

Visited May 2012
438 attraction reviews
“Fall Color to Die For....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

but make sure you have a map of the trail you plan to hike. For my first Autumn back in the US in 4 years, I decided a drive down Skyline Drive was just what the doctor ordered. It had rained the day before so when I entered the park there was a low level fog that made for an eerie drive. But as I moved along, the fog started to clear and the color was just awe inspiring. I had heard about a great hike on the Rose River Trail and all the waterfalls along it. I found one end of the trail head and started along, but I must have missed a turn. I ended up at a lovely waterfall (later found out it was the Dark Hallow Falls) and took the trail from there. I ended up a mile from my car. So if you decide to go for a hike make sure you know EXACTLY where you are suppose to go. Otherwise it was a great morning in a beautiful place....

Visited October 2012