“Family Camp ROCKS!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Montecito Sequoia Lodge

Save Saved
You added Montecito Sequoia Lodge to your Saves list
Montecito Sequoia Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   63410 General's Hwy, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA 93633   |
Roseville, California
“Family Camp ROCKS!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

So I was a little nervous booking our family into a hotel with no TV and no mobile phone service. It ended up being a great gift. A week unplugged from all of the distractions.

Family camp is a little like going back in time. It was a week filled with simple pleasures, like hiking, art, archery, swimming, paddle boarding and more. The kids loved their counselors and my husband and I got to relax!

Meals were good. I don't eat meat or dairy and there was plenty to eat. Excellent salad bar. There is also a place to keep guest food.

The hotel itself isn't fancy... but it was clean and decently maintained. If you are looking for a swanky hotel stay this isn't it... but if you are looking for a great alternative to staying in a tent for days - you will be happily surprised!!

The front desk staff was sometime great and sometimes not awesome, but the rest of the staff was AMAZING!!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Russellville, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

My family was very sceptical about the lodge upon arrival. The grounds of the lodge were not very well maintained and the first impressions were not great. The staff refused to allow anyone to check before 4:00 irregardless of the status of the room. There were several families just sitting around waiting to check in. But we were pleasantly surprised after our arrival at the Forest Cabin. This is one of the brand new cabins that had a very modern look and very private. After reading several negative reviews on the food quality, we found the food during our stay to be very good. Would definitely recommend the Forest Cabin at the lodge.

• Stayed August 2013
Hamden, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed Montecito Sequoia for 2 nights in May while exploring Sequoia-Kings Canyon Nat’l Park. We very much enjoyed our time there. It was great coming back from a long day of hiking and having some delicious soup or the cereal that is out all the time in between meals. The rooms were very decent and homey. Some perks/highlights include the aforementioned soup/cereal that is available all the time, the double mocha from the coffee machine, the smores around the campfire, the library of books, magazines, and games, conversing with other travelers, the lack of TV, and the view from the back deck. The breakfast and dinner options were varied and good. If you’re planning on being gone during lunchtime the staff will pack you a lunch, which is a nice touch. All and all it’s a great place and we will return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We've been coming to Montecito since 1998. First w.o. kids as a place to start day hikes, then with our kids as toddlers to teens at Family Camp. We've also been during the winter a couple of times.

Montecito is the best place to build lasting family memories: at archery, horse back riding, water coloring, hikes, or whatever you choose to do. While its not swanky, it definitely fulfills its purpose, a purpose started 50 years ago this year, to create an opportunity for your kids and family to grow while sharing that experience with others in the wonderful Sierras.

Our kids talk about the camp all year in anticipation of our next trip. That's good enough for me to keep coming back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Carmel, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Our family loves coming to Montecito because there is always something fun for everyone in the family to do. We've been coming in the summer for a few years now, and there are many reasons we keep coming back. My kids love the independence they experience, both with and without their counselor-led age group activities. My son spent most of his time playing with friends on the trampoline and at the lake. My daughter spent most of her time at the lake on the new stand up paddle boards, but she also loved the paint ball activities!! My husband and I went on the mountain bike rides almost everyday. Each ride is challenging, but really fun, beautiful, and adventurous. The counselors do a great job of accommodating people of varying skill levels, so everyone has a great experience!

Each year we aim to try something new. This year my husband and I went on a bike/climb at a newly scouted out location. It was truly an amazing experience!! I was really happy to experience a new area of the park with absolutely stunning views. The climbing staff were very experienced and I felt totally safe doing something I would never have had the opportunity to do at home (or anywhere else that I'm aware of!). Oh yeah, and I learned a few songs on the ukulele, too! Yoga every morning was an awesome way to start each day :)

The food is good and the lodging is very comfortable. Each season there seems to be subtle improvements in the rooms and around the grounds. But that's not what keeps us coming back....the whole camp experience, the friendly guests and the absolutely awesome staff are what we enjoy most! Montecito Rocks!

Kailua, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Just completed our week at family camp (4th summer in a row) and once again thoroughly enjoyed ourselves! The scenery, friends we have made, enthusiastic staff and the mountain peace and quiet are why we keep returning. This is not, I repeat, not the Sofitel down on the Peninsula. Rooms - no TV, no phone. Food is buffet service with family style seating at large tables. This is a family camp. Think kids having a great time trying new activities. Think meeting new people from around the country at the dinner table or socializing in the lodge at night. Think hiking some local peaks or trying rock climbing for the first time.
PS Liked the new green paint scheme. Really dressed up the several buildings we saw with it and much better than the old dirt brown scheme.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

I loved the location.
However there are a lot of negatives here.
My room was filthy, the food was horrendous( looked like there was no thought or passion put into the food) it tasted like it came out of a can or frozen. I heard it was all made fresh... That was a lye.
The grounds were dirty and not maintained on a daily basis. The place looks rundown.

Most of the counselors were very welcoming and the other staff seemed liked they couldn't really care.

The happy atmosphere, great food, accommodations, I had heard about from friends that have come in the past, was nothing like I was explained.
I can't believe I spent that much money to come here. I will never recommend this place to any of my friends. Everyone stay clear!

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Montecito Sequoia Lodge? Share your experiences!