“Always the Same - Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Silver City Mountain Resort to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Silver City Mountain Resort
Mile 21 Mineral King Road, PO Box 56, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA 93271   |
Exeter, CAlifornia, USA
“Always the Same - Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We live just down the road - sort of - Exeter. So we have the ability to enjoy Silver City a lot. It is always great. There are a number of different types of cabins/facilities, depending upon your needs. Several years ago, my daughter and I stayed in one of the small cabins the night before we started our backpack trip to Mt. Whitney, and it was a wonderful way to start our trip. This last trip was a family outing for a week in July, and we stayed in one of the chalets. It was really nice. My daughter, my son-in-law, my 7 1/2 month-old granddaughter and I had a great time, and all of our needs were met by the very helpful staff. In our minds, it couldn't have been any better. The drive is well worth it!!!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the Paradise Ridge Chalet, mostly because of the fantastic view of Hengst Peak from the d...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Visalia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Our visit was absolutely wonderful and will probably be the highlight of our entire summer. The windy, narrow road up was tiresome, but well worth the drive. The setting was serene, ahh so peaceful. My family was famished from the drive. I ordered the Mountain Burger and had a slice of Razzle Dazzle Pie that was to die for. Best homemade pie ever, and I loved the french press coffee from Mavericks. The staff was incredible. The young lady that served us was very friendly and helped aquaint us with the area. She highly recommended her family's favorite hiking trail to Eagle Lake. She said she had been hiking that trail since she was a baby (her dad carried her in a backpack) and she has hiked it every year since. We followed her advice and the next day started out. She had forewarned us that it was a strenuous trail. It was, but oh, so worth the effort. There were beautiful vistas along the way and the end destination, absolutely gorgeous. This personal touch by the staff at the Silver City Mountain Resort made our weekend trip memorable. Can't wait to get our photos developed!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Visalia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My family and I have visited Silver City Mountain Resort many times. We love the history of the area. Silver City Mountain Resort is a very unique place. The road to Mineral King is very curvy and in some places on the road it is only wide enough for one vehicle. So it is important that you are comfortable driving on mountain roads. I find that despite the extreme curves and some bumps in the road, the views on the way to Mineral King are spectacular!! I always think about the people who traveled that road 100 years ago! The Store/Restaurant at Silver City is very cute and small. If you do your research on the history you will understand why. You have the choice of the different cabins that are available. The historical cabins are very rustic so if you do not like camping these are not for you. We like to stay at Creekside and love it!! My children played for hours in the little creek that ran beside the cabin. The newer cabins are larger and have more modern conveniences. You do need to bring your own food. The restaurant is closed a few days in the week to restock on supplies. Every camper should always be prepared regardless. I love the staff! They are always very helpful and a joy so be around. There is something about having a piece of pie in the mountains. Yummy!! Yes it is a little expensive, but you have to realize that someone has to transport all of the food and supplies up and down the mountain. The closest store is in Three Rivers, about an hour away if you are lucky.(you passed it on your way up to the Mineral King road) Just passed Silver City you will find the Mineral King Valley. if you like to backpack in the wilderness this is the place to be. I highly recommend Silver City Mountain Resort if you love the Great Outdoors!! My family is always asking when will we get to go back!

Room Tip: Chalets have modern conveniences. historical cabins are very rustic: you need to use the showers an...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Menlo Park, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Went to the restaurant for lunch. Ordered the only vegetarian option on the menu, a spinach salad with apples on top. When I received the salad I found that the spinach was spoiled and the apple pieces were frozen solid. The waitress did not show the slightest concern or offer any apology. I also ordered a cup of coffee that never came, even after asking for it four times. The service was inept and extremely slow (despite there being three or four waitresses and only three tables to serve), and the food was overpriced. The pie (which we had to ask for twice) was good, although the crust was under-baked. It couldn't make up for the rest of the experience, though. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. It's a prime example of what happens to product quality when there is no competition.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was really looking forward to go here with my family for a once in a lifetime trip to the US. We called the Resort on the 28th of May and made a reservation and they confirmed at the phone that the room was booked. By phone I gave cc number and send an email 5 minutes later, as agreed by phone, asking a written confirmation, and gave my expiration date of the cc. Never got an answer. On the 13th of June asks again and after 3 days got an answer saying we had no reservation and there was no possibility available!!! The place may be grate, and I really wanted to have the opportunity to see it, but be 100% sure to have a written confirmation because my experience is that these guys are either not to be trusted, or have a bad administration.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Wedding? After searching high and low for an outdoor wedding venue where I could stay the whole weekend with family and friends, I found Silver City Resort and had my wedding at the location September 2012. My husband and I were determined to have a weekend wedding in the mountains. Silver City is perfect for this type of wedding. Laid back, no dress code for guests, no structured seating arrangements. I can’t say enough good things about this place. Management and staff were friendly, helpful, and non-intrusive. We had a small wedding, just under 50 people. We put together a menu that was executed perfectly. The food was cooked perfectly and tasted delicious. Everyone had a large enough portion to be full and everyone finished their plates. The prices were very fair. They really worked with us to make sure we had everything we needed.
Food? The menu for the main restaurant is small, and has good quality food. The main restaurant has a small general store that has trinkets, supplies such as Gatorade, and some medical items like Advil etc…
Location? All of the cabins are different sizes and ages. The historic cabins do not have a shower. But there are clean showers with HOT water on location. They work great. We stayed in the Shooting Star cabin during our stay and loved it. Clean, spacious and has a beautiful fireplace. You can also bring your own food as cabins have refrigerator/stove utensils etc. This is a good place to stay and go backpacking out from as well.
Where? Silver City is located in a remote location which makes it perfect for a wedding. If you are passionate for the outdoors, wouldn’t you want to have your wedding at a place that really means something to the both of you? If you want to avoid traffic, noise, nosey passerby’s or worse, sharing your location with others waiting to get married, this is a good place to do it. We rented all the cabins for our wedding (early on) to ensure we had the place to ourselves all weekend. You do have to do a bit of planning on your part since they are far from a town. We pre-stuffed all the gift arrival bags, ordered everything necessary for the wedding (cake platter etc), and took everything up with us. For flowers we did our research beforehand, stopped in the main town before heading up and purchased them and threw them in an ice-chest. Worked out perfectly, no damage!
What? What to expect on the road up: Going up to the location you will come to a long windy road on your last trek before getting there. EXPECT a long, windy road. The road is narrow but in good shape. Get a seasick patch behind the ear if you get car sick. It does WONDERS. The ride up is gorgeous and peaceful. Keep your camera ready!
Who? Silver City is a serene place in the forest where you enjoy nature, listen to the river, listen to birds, explore, and see a million stars at night. Very laid back. People aren’t going to be constantly bugging you and asking you if you need things. So if you are looking to get waited on hand and foot, it might not be the right place for you. You go to your cabin, and have time to yourself. You can sit out on the deck of your cabin and have some hot tea on a cool night or get your fire on inside with a wood burning stove. This is not a pretentious, obnoxious, loud place. If you are afraid of camping in cabins, long drives in the mountains, are looking to get your “spa on”, or you hate nature, peace and quiet, this may not be the right place for you. I personally am completely in love with the place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
North Hollywood, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

This is the only place in the world where I can nap. Besides the spectacular views, fresh air and stunning vegetation, unplugging the phone, computer, and TV is something that we, as human beings, should do more often.

The chalets are clean, well stocked with every kitchen tool you'd ever need, and very comfortable. The porch swing and fire pit right outside the door (White Chief Chalet) are definitely plusses.

The staff is friendly, helpful and kind.

This was our 16th year staying at Silver City. We look forward to it every year and hate to leave! This place is extremely special.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Silver City Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!