“"Fancy and Fun at Silver City Guest Chef Event"” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Silver City Mountain Resort

and 1 more site!
You added Silver City Mountain Resort to your Saves list
Silver City Mountain Resort
Mile 21 Mineral King Road, PO Box 56, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA 93271   |
Three Rivers
“"Fancy and Fun at Silver City Guest Chef Event"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I had the best time at the Guest Chef Night on August 14th. My fellow diners were great company, and the wait staff was exceptional. The food was interesting, and the presentation had a nice "mountain elegance" to it. I enjoyed my night, and hope to do it again next year!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Tujunga, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Years ago, I tried making the hair-rising drive up to Mineral King in a car that threatened to explode with every elevation. Now armed with a Saturn that could make the ascent, I made the trip with my family to what's likely the most secluded, and one of the most beautiful National Parks I've been to in California- the equivalent of Lost Horizon as it were. There's only one game in "town" when it comes to staying there, which is Silver City Mountain Resort. I may have had some trepidations given some of the lower star reviews here, but they were completely blown away by the immaculate, incredibly roomy "chalet" we stayed in. Staff was incredibly nice and helpful, especially Molly, who was particularly great with our daughter. The little one loved the playground, and we all were blown away with the high quality of the food and probably the best home made pie we've had. Saturday dinner was accompanied by a great bluegrass duo. With the staff recommendations to some great scenic hikes, the weekend ranks as one of our more pleasant getaways, and we definitely will be returning next year. Thanks Silver City, and a particular thanks at that to the wonders of nature that are well worth the effort and very, very careful driving it takes to get there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Vista, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

My boyfriend and I made the drive to Silver City in the breathtaking Mineral King for our anniversary this last week, I was not happy to leave. The most beautiful location. I am almost hesitant to leave this review as I don't want to share this amazing resort with more than those who already know about it. We were looking to explore and hike but also relax therefore we booked the shooting star chalet. A large (could room 4+ in my opinion) cabin with a shower and toilet (yes!) beautiful spacious patio tucked in back right corner edging the forest with our own firepit. Just enough tree coverage for shade and enough open air to view the stars at night. We saw two shooting stars the first night! Had breakfast at the restaurant one morning-delicious! Extremely friendly staff and guests. We met an older gentlemen who had stayed at the resort numerous times and told us his favorite hiking trails. By recommendation of him we hiked to Eagle Lake at 10,000 ft. BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL! Unreal beauty like something from a book. Wouldn't recommend that hike for the inexperienced as the adjustment to altitude and the terrain can be strenuous. Altogether an amazing trip! Already planning a trip back! It's unfortunate they're closed for the winter as the location is divine but the road is sketchy (but worth it!) I love you Mineral King and Silver City! See you soon!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We visited the Silver City Mountain Resort last July and the narrow windy road to get up there was definitely an experience. Since the location is beautiful, the drive was well worth it. We stayed in the Florence Peak cabin which was quite nice and clean. I like the peacefulness of the campground as it’s not overly crowded with people and vehicles. I also love the outdoors so it was great that there were so many nice trails for hiking nearby.

The kitchen and fridge inside the cabin was very convenient as we stocked up before going up the hill. They have a nice restaurant on site, but it was easier to cook inside the cabin when you’re with friends and kids. The campfire outside the cabin was also perfect for grilling steaks and hot dogs. We had a blast roasting marshmallows and making s’mores. We will certainly visit again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I came here with my family of 8 and the road to get up to the resort is a bit crazy but the final destination is well worth it. The cabin is decently maintained. We stayed at the Florence Peak cabin. It's a basic wooden cabin at the far end of the resort, nicely isolated from the other cabins. The resort isn't too large so that you don't have to worry about the kids running off too far. Behind the cabin there's a small playground next to the fire-pit so as you are roasting up marshmallows the kids can play there. There's also another good size playground near the main office/cafeteria. If you drive up on the trail for about 10 minutes you will get to the hiking trail which is just breath-taking. I will definitely come back again during the summer. I would have loved to come here during the spring if it wasn't for my allergies. =D

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Oceanside, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

My wife and I have been going to Silver City since 1988 and we have always loved it - until this visit. The area is beautiful and worth the long drive up the winding road. The cabins have always been rustic and that is fine, however they have not been well maintained since our last visit. For the price paid I expect there to be at least some work to keep the cabins in good shape. We stayed in the same cabin (Sunny Point) and the porch fence is actually falling off - dangerous. Paint was peeling from the deck and the inside of the cabin was really not at all clean. The toilet looked like it had not been cleaned in a while (I cleaned it)! Worse - we ate at a special Guest Chef night at the lodge and were served an hour and 15 minutes later than our reservation and we all got food poisoning!!! We were sick as dogs the next day.
Finally, I had a dispute over the bill when checking out and it went poorly. Honestly, I am very sad that the place has changed hands. It has fallen on hard times and I think the management needs a little more prfessional help keeping the place up. They appear to be trying to make improvements (adding a rec room and improving size of kitchen) but the grounds were a mess and there was garbage laying all over. I am afraid I have to say I dont recommend it anymore.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We just returned from Silver City Mountain Resort last weekend and we all agree we don't want to go back.
The location is beautiful, but it has its price. It takes about 1.5hrs on a narrow windy road to get up there, which was not pleasant with 2 car-sick kids. Glad it was still daylight during our drive.
The area is nice with many trails for hiking and some water to play in.
The cabins are not in great shape. Our cabin (Florence Peak) was not very clean, the lower bedroom smelled so unbearably like propane gas that our friends had to sleep on the nasty couch in the living room. The beds are old and we all had bed bug bites afterwards. The power is turned off from 10pm until 12noon which we found very inconvenient. Last but not least we attended the guest chef event on 8/11 and our entire cabin got food poisoning with vomiting and diarrhea the whole 6hr drive home. We were so glad once we were back home.
The staff at Silver City was ok, but not particularly friendly and helpful. For the high price they charge they expect you to clean and sweep the entire cabin before departure. I can't believe they call themselves a Boutique Resort!!!! Nothing close to that!

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Silver City Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!