“What an Amazing Place!” 5 of 5 stars

Stay Free on Wednesday!
Penryn, California
“What an Amazing Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

What an Amazing place. Burr Hughes has a vision - and we loved every minute. If you want a place where you can hike the majestic wilderness for hours and then return for a gourmet meal and wonderful comfortable beds, this is the place for you. You stay in individual permanent tents placed for optimum privacy with soft sheets and warm comforters. The main lodge is regal and warm. Ample delicious meals served by very friendly and helpful staff. We can't wait to return and plan to stay longer next time!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

My husband and I went for the first time last week and found it enchanting. The owner, Burr Hughes, has created the most amazing experience high up in virgin forest territory of the High Sierras. I think anyone perusing the web-site will see his award winning architecture , open air dining, darling clean white tents, and fine dining cuisine are all exceptional.

I was amazed by the delicious 4 course gourmet meals at dinner, the omelette bar, fresh fruit, home-made granola and Suzanne's (his wife's) family recipe for muffins, and fresh squeezed orange juice made daily for breakfast. The lunch was a fun fix-it-your-way sandwich bar to take on your hike with you, complete with homemade chocolate chip banana bread and roasted tomatoes (so your sandwich won't get soggy!) The wine selection is all European and well priced (most below $40.00~ I'm very picky and I was pleased!!) The bedding and towels are new and provided. There are brand new down comforters and Pendleton blanket to stack as many as you'd like for night time cozy sleeping. Turkish carpets keep your feet from touching the concrete floor. You'll see from the brochure that the tent/cabin is adorable!

They light a bond fire every night. The stream is rushing by for ambient noise while sleeping. The central showers are open air, but very clean (all soaps, shampoos and conditioners provided.) The toilets are segregated by sex are modern and clean.

The trails are some of the most spectacular I've ever hiked. The camp is remote; a two hour drive from Fresno. You simply carry a back pack with your personal change of clothes and hike in about a mile. From the camp the trails radiate out to get views of Sequoia National Park and Kings Canyon National Park ; the camp is on the border of these two amazing areas. Lots of side trips to see those parks are available.

Burr Hughes and his wife serve as hosts. They love to help guests decide on wine or hiking trails. We LOVED it and (believe me!!!) I'm no camper!

Room Tip: All the rooms are really great.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Northern California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

I would write a completely different review if the owners charged half the current rate. We're talking $500 a night for a room for two people. (Imagine where else you could stay for that price.) I would easily pay $125 a night to stay here and would write a good review to reflect that price. But because they are charging Four Seasons rates, I'm writing a Four Seasons review.

1.) Burr, the owner, seems grumpy. I'm a grumpy person too, but I'm not in the hospitality business so I can get away with it. The other owner, Suzanne, is lovely and almost makes up for Burr's grumpiness...but it's hard to avoid him. I suggest they hire someone else to interact with guests.

2.) I thought the young men working at the camp were sweet and helpful, but why is the staff composed wholly of Eastern European males? Seems like this would be the perfect summer job for a few local teenagers. I have no issue with the birthplace of employees, but it kind of makes me wonder if this is a question of cheap labor.

3.) The women's restroom was never cleaned the entire time we were there. The same coffee cup sat in the same place on the counter for three days in a row. The same dirty towels were strewn about the counter for three days in a row. Our bed was made, but the cleaning crew didn't remove the dirty towels hanging on the hooks in our tent. If I'm paying $500 a night for a room, I want $500/night housekeeping service.

4.) When we asked for drinking water for our tent we were given a tall plastic water bottle (like a recycled Crystal Geiser bottle with the label removed). I saw later that there's a bucket of these bottles near a spigot in the wall near the kitchen. I got the impression that the bottles are reused and we all know how plastic can harbor bacteria. I'm all for recycling, but they should be using glass bottles that can be cleaned and disinfected.

5.) The food was great (often in need of salt, but it's family style and they're trying to please the masses). I thought they would ask if or assume there were vegetarians in the group, but they never did. As such, my wife was left eating the side dishes while the rest of us enjoyed beef and pork for main courses. The owners should ask about food preferences when guests check in.

6.) The Sequoia Store is cute, but $15 for a coffee mug and $75 for a fleece...really?

7.) The nights are freeeeeezing. We slept in flannel pajamas, fleeces, wool hats, and socks. You'll warm up quickly in the cozy sheets and blankets and will pull off the layers by morning.

8.) Don't worry about overpacking. They don't say it on the website, but the car parking lot is a 5-10-minute walk down a dirt road. Anything you leave in the car can be picked up easily. I don't know why they don't advertise this. Your car is VERY close.

9.) Cookies and tea in the evening were a very nice touch.

10.) Sunset was beautiful.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

I stayed at this camp last summer for a break away from city life with my family last summer.
I have given the camp 5 circles for every aspect.
For cleanliness:
The tented cabins were immaculately presented on the first afternoon we got there. Considering you are 2 hours drive from any real civilization, in the middle of forested mountains, the cabins were very clean, swept. The ornaments and provisions in the cabin made us feel very welcome. Every morning, "maid service" swept, made our beds and replenished our water supply (from their own fresh well). Compared to any other camping trip, the cleanliness out surpassed our expectations or experience at any other resort. The bath houses, too, were very well kept, clearly were cleaned every morning. Hot, al-fresco, private showers were a very welcome site after a long hike every day.
The location is stunning. Set in the sequoia national monument, protected from logging rights, over looking mountains, watching the sun set every evening as we ate our (incredible) meals. Such serenity.
The rooms as already mentioned were not your average camping accommodation. Some of the reviews on here mentioned that the queen size beds were merely two singles, pushed together. This was not our experience. I guess the owners invested in new matresses because ours was a queen one, and incredibly comfortable. Triple sheeted, with extra blankets if we needed them.
The staff and the food were the two things that really made our experience a special one. Although all from Europe, (UK and Poland) they could not do enough to help us out and meet our needs. The food was what you would expect from any top class restaurant. Cooked breakfasts, cereals, fresh fruit and yogurt every morning before a hike. Buffet lunch that we took with us, and then came back to a fantastic five-course affair in the open-air dining pavilion. Stunning.
And all for such good value. I have stayed at many a hotel that charges more than this, and the experience you get in a hotel doesnt even compare to the one we had here.
Couldnt recommend it enough.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Pomona, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

The accommodations were excellent. The meals were quite tasty but cold. The staff service was excellent.

Owner/manager promised me a refund when I came as a single instead of a double, but never came through with the credit to my credit card.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Burlingame, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

Just got back from SHSC after spending a long weekend with 3 other friends. The location is very scenic and if you are into hiking in the Sierra's this is definitely a place to put on your itinerary. It's a bit hard to compare the "rooms" with a nice hotel but I felt the tents were very comfortable and fortunately we did not have an insect problem given the time of the year we stayed. Since the tents are not completely sealed, this could be a problem at other times during the summer.
It's the dining experience that makes this place unique. The food is upscale and very well prepared which certainly makes the cost of your stay a bit more justifiable.
The one comment I would make about my stay is given that this camp seems to be attracting a more serious hiking croud, it would have helped if the staff would have led a short discussion each morning during breakfast to give suggestions, comments, and warnings about what to expect while hiking. The trail maps and trail markings are rather poor compared to other places I have hiked and it is easy to get lost if you are not paying attention or somehow get separated from your group.
All in all, SHSC is worth the drive if you're looking for a central Sierra hiking getaway.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

We recently had the pleasure of spending a wonderful week at SHSC to celebrate my Dad's 80th birthday with an extended family group ranging in age from from 45 to 80+. All of us had spent many prior summers together hiking and backpacking.

After taking advantage of the many beautiful hikes available right from camp (particularly Mitchell Peak and Seville Lake), it was a pleasure and welcome change from normal backpacking to return to a hot shower, extremely comfortable warm cozy beds, and wonderful food and wine.

We enjoyed our time together and also enjoyed meeting and spending time with the other guests, which included groups of friends travelling together, families and teenage kids (who entertained us under the stars by the campfire with guitar), families with younger kids, and a large father-son group. Without exception, all of the guests were friendly and interesting.

The staff at SHSC were terrific, enthusiastic, hard working, friendly, and provided really top service. The owners Burr and Suzanne were equally friendly, accessible, engaging and fun to spend time with. As others have noted, the food at SHSC is very good but what makes the place special is the combination of outdoor beauty, carefully architected camp buildings and high class, intimate and friendly service in a relatively remote high mountain location.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Sequoia High Sierra Camp? Share your experiences!