“Great place to eat in Sequoia National Park!!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
Portland, Oregon
“Great place to eat in Sequoia National Park!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Sequoia National Park is a must. It is a natural wonder with old trees (I mean, really old trees) and really big trees (I mean, really big trees), and great hiking (like Moro Rock). While traveling through the park, my wife and I stopped at the Peak restaurant at the Wuksachi Lodge. What a great place to eat. Great food, great service in a great lodge environment overlooking the forest. If you're hungry and looking for a great meal, be sure to stop at the Peaks at the Wuksachi Lodge. You will be in for a treat. Enjoy.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

63% Recommend
  • Indonesian first
Kansas City, Missouri
“Enjoy the Food & the View”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Great restaurant. The Chef produces some amazing meals at this secluded location. Specials for dinner everyday; and any of the soups are super, but Potato was my favorite. Desserts are not to be missed either. Make reservations for dinner in advance of arrival. Every table has a good view of the woods/mountains.

Visited April 2013
“Horrible food. Do NOT eat here. Bring your own”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed at the lodge the weekend of March 23rd and I had made reservation for the Saturday and Sunday nights at the restaurant as it is the only place to eat at this time of year.

The restaurant was quite busy as it was spring break but we got seated around the time of our reservation and out server was quite attentive.

I ordered the barramundi and my wife had the grass-fed new york steak. The steak was cooked to the right temp but was very tough. My fish was only cooked for the top 1/8 ich and then was totally raw and cold. So I sent it back. It came out about 20 minutes later completely overcooked. The kitchen had also taken the fish off the skin and had flaked it into the pineapple salsa. I have never seen anything so bizarre. The polenta that came with it was a solid ball that you could have used for baseball and was totally inedible. The restaurant serves one vegetable with every meal. Which makes it so easy for the kitchen to make it perfect right? NO! Saturday night was brussels sprouts (one of my favorite vegetables. They had simply halved them and then sauteed them for one minute. They were still totally raw and inedible. No one in the restaurant was eating them. How could the kitchen not notice every sprout coming back uneaten?

I refused to pay for the fish and we talked for a long time with the manager after the meal. We were planning on driving 2 hours out of the park for dinner the next night but the manager asked us to give them another chance and he would make sure we were 'looked after'. So against our better judgement we ate there the next night. This time it was my wife's food that was awful. A ball of rice that matched the polenta and a chicken breast that had been cooked to oblivion. It was tougher than her steak from the previous night. The veg that night was broccolini and only the first half inch of each stalk was actually edible. These entrees were all $25-$40 but even if this had been $10 at Applebees I would have sent them all back.

My very strong advice is stay at the lodge by all means but bring your own food. Seriously; bring a cooler, even your own microwave but DO NOT eat at the restaurant.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Craven Arms, United Kingdom
“Poor Food & Undertrained staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We arrived and were initially pleased with reception and our room. We booked dinner for 6.45, basically service was poor, staff were undertrained and we waited 50 minutes for a fish dish an a penne pasta dish, supposedly braised beef. The beef was very tough and I doubt it had been braised to tenderise it. We also did not want to hear staff apologising for being slow as they were understaffed. All in all we have had better pasta dishes at roadside diners. Accompanying the fish dish it mentioned basmati rice - it was more like risotto rice. This was the most disappointing meal of our 2 week tour within the States. We did complain and they deducted the cost of the dish of the bill. However it did influence our decision not to reserve packed meals for the following day.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati, OH
“Location, location, location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Within walking distance from the Wuksachi Lodge, this is pretty much the dinner option at night in this part of the park (unless you are able to go the BBQ during the summer months). And the prices reflect this, with most entrees being $20+. The service was marginal. With that being said, the food was very good; the flavor pairings worked well and ingredients seemed fresh. It was very busy both nights we ate here, so make reservations ahead of time, even if you plan to dine very late.

• Visited September 2012