“Can't beat the commute” 4 of 5 stars

64740 Wuksachi Way, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA 93262
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Washington, DC
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Can't beat the commute”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

The Peaks gets a fourth star largely because they are managing to run a decent restaurant an hour away from civilization. If you're staying at the lodge, the ability to walk down the hill and get a hot dinner are a long day of hiking can't be beat. We were here in the winter, when food options are even more sparse. Staying here two nights, we had two dinners and two breakfasts at the Peaks. The space itself is lovely, with a great view.

The food was hit or miss. Some items were quite delicious - the onion soup and bread pudding were highlights. The breakfast buffet was also a reasonable deal. Stay away from the pasta, we had both dishes and found neither very appealing. Also avoid the Smoked Salmon appetizer which fell short on multiple counts - a dip on a winter menu should really be warm (rather than pink colored cream cheese) and the baguette served was cardboard-like, which was ironic as the house bread was generally quite good. We also would have appreciated vegetarian items on the menu being marked as such. Prices were reasonable, especially considering the monopoly that the restaurant could exploit.

The staff was very friendly, and quick to comp an item left untouched, which was appreciated. The kitchen was a little slow on Saturday night, but anyone staying here really shouldn't be in a rush and it didn't bother us at all.

• Indonesian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

great food in front of a fire. There was only a few other people so the service was really good. We had the trout and onion soup and shared both between the 2 of us. Soooo delicious.

Visited January 2013
South Haven, Michigan, United States
“Great Food Great VIew”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

WE ate supper and breakfast here - and I didn't want to leave. Had a window seat for both meals (the only place to sit in my opinion). During supper, we watch a couple of deer grazing and wandering outside. So cool.

Supper was fantastic. The restaurant strives to serve local foods in season and they dod an excellent job. I had a flat iron steak and my traveling buddy had red trout - both cooked wonderfully, presentation excellent and portions were very appropriate.

For breakfast, it was buffet time - tremendous. Great fruits, juices, various egg dishes, pastries, sausage and bacon and just what you would expect. Buffet was kept well stock and the hot foods were hot.

Servers at both meals were delightful, helpful and attentive.

Reservations for supper were important - especially if you want a window seat. For breakfast, before they opened, there was complimentary coffee in the lounge.

And speaking of the lounge - free WIFI that was decent.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
1 Thank Jeffrey D
Los Angeles, California
“Not nearly as good as it used to be”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I used to visit this hotel and restaurant about twice a year from 2000-2005. Their food used to be great. However, my last experience was absolutely awful. The positives: The view. That's it. It is absolutely spectacular. Save yourself the hassle and see it from the trail behind the restaurant.The food is pricey, but that is expected. I don't complain about the price. However, I will complain if the price is high and the food is absolutely awful. Denny's or Coco's would have prepared these dishes better at a fraction of the price. First night, I had a pasta with butternut squash and walnuts. Pasta was old and reheated. Sauce was gummy. It was leftover pasta. My wife had the vegetarian tamales with polenta ($19). The green sauce was most likely out of a can. The polenta was gooey and the tamales were absolutely dreadful. They were old, and microwaved. If you are going to serve older tamales, you should at least steam them. My son's french fries were the only decent thing that was ordered. Bill and tip were $60. Thinking it was a fluke, we went for breakfast the next morning. It is really difficult to screw up breakfast. I was wrong. I ordered an omelette. It was severely overcooked. It was tough. It came with potatoes that were old. You know when potatoes have that withered look after they've been in the fridge too long? My son ordered a side order of potatoes, which arrived in the same condition as mine. My wife ordered the pancakes, and they were cold and absolutely unappetizing. She had to drown them in syrup to make them edible. Bill and tip were about $28. I think that the fact that there is nowhere else to eat in the immediate area makes them think they can get away with this. Unfortunately, they can. It's sad, because I remember how great their food used to be.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Kansas City, Missouri
“Expensive but nice for a couple's dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

It was nice to relax with a nice wine and enjoy the lodge atmosphere. Service was nice but waiter started out a bit rude but warmed up to us and we joked with him. The food was pretty good and presented nice, my salmon had a berry sauce that was really salty.

Visited October 2012