“Food ok, owner miserable!” 2 of 5 stars

47050 Generals Hwy, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA
559-335-2405
Improve this listing
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Food ok, owner miserable!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stopped here as it was the only place around! The owner was so miserable and lacking in inter personal skills I don't believe they can get any repeat custom. If you're looking for somewhere to eat where you are treated with courtesy and a modicum of good manners then keep driving as this is not the place for you! On a slightly positive note the burgers we had were not bad!

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

16% Recommend
Dallas
“Stopped for Ice Cream”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I have to say I laughed out loud when I read the other reviews for this place because they are so true :) The owners definitely need to retire but that was part of the entertainment. Someone actually asked the wife if they were under new ownership & she said 'I wish!' I thought it was all very entertaining.

They were pretty busy when we stopped & the wife was running around trying to help everyone & the husband comes out from the back looking like he just woke up from his day long nap.
It was pretty entertaining to sit back, enjoy our ice cream & watch. :)

I'm not sure what people expect in the bottom of a canyon but if you want some cold ice cream & entertainment this is your place.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Reading, Pennsylvania
“Entertaining stop for a milkshake”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Stopped on a whim for a milkshake. The owner is a pretty independent cuss and if your looking for pampering forget it, pretty much his way or the highway. Not much of a conversationalist at first but warmed up after a while. A couple travelers came in after us went something like this:
"Do you have soup?"
"Yep' chicken noodle"
"Is it homemade"
"Nope"
"Out of a can"
"Yep"

Watching the looks on their faces was worth the cost of the milkshake.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Fairfax, Virginia
“If there were a "Zero" rating”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stopped in for a late lunch at this 1950's western bar/grill. Middle aged owners looked up with a "what are you doing here?" look. Mrs. Owner, almost begrudgingly, said they were still serving lunch (2 pm). Asked if tuna was made that day, she indignantly replied "No, but it's fresh." Fifteen minutes down the road, I found out how "fresh" it was and was reminded about its "freshness" for next three days. While lunch was being prepared, conversation with Mr. Owner was uncomfortable until he learned I'd served in the military, when he became more hospitable. For all the Christian messages on the walls, the ones missing were "Love thy neighbor" and "Cleanliness is next to godliness".

• Visited August 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore area, MD
“Felt uncomfortable, but food OK”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This review is solely regarding the restaurant.

We stopped in because I was hungry, and tired of the cheese sandwiches we had packed for our lunches on this multi-day trip. The place was empty except for the man behind the counter, who greeted us rather gruffly, I felt. After looking over the menu, which included burgers and other basic fare, I ordered the chicken noodle soup. I got the impression I was taking him away from something he would rather be doing; he did not come across as hospitable in the least.

I thought $4 for a bowl of soup was on the high side, but to be expected when there are no other options for food for miles in either direction. It arrived piping hot, and REALLY hit the spot, but I'm pretty sure it was a can of Campbells' heated up - had those tell-tale squarish noodles and cubes of chicken. That made $4 seem utterly ridiculous, but who knows where they have to go to get it, or have it trucked in from.

The server/cook (owner?) did warm up a little toward the end of the visit, asking where we were from and discussing the weather, so maybe we caught him on a bad day, who knows? I just know that I felt pretty uncomfortable there and was glad to leave. I would consider going back only if I saw other cars in the parking lot.