“Table side along the riverside please” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Elgin Illinois
“Table side along the riverside please”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

This is the only place to eat on the floor of kings canyon. Its a basic hot dog and burger place (when its open). Its located next to the store/giftshop and the restaurant part is only open during on a limited basis. (at least when we were there in may) The best part of this place is the view you can get from the balcony of the outside porch sitting area. You overlook the river. I should point out that they do serve other things for dinner but we were just visiting and not staying all day to wait for food.

If you arrive and the food counter is closed, you can purchase items in the attached store and still eat there. The store carries items similar to what you would find in a gas food mart. We found the price on everything a little high (as to be expected).

• Visited May 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Maryland
“Not what you'd hope for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

The service was ok. The formica-topped booths were not particularly comfortable. The food was nothing to write home about. Yes, it's in the middle of nowhere and what should anyone expect? Well, maybe something a little better.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Applegate, California
“basic but with good features”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

OK it is a snack bar. And it is the ONLY place to eat within a 45 minute drive.

They did surprise us at dinner. Steaks,trout, and baked potatoes are added to their usual burger and fries cuisine. The trout was delicious and fresh. More surprising was the cellophane box of salad. It had a spring mix with arugula that is fresher than I can get even at my grocery store. (AND that was on a Sunday night when they probably had not had a delivery.) Baked potatoe was perfect.

My trout was served with zucchini. That was not so good. It was fresh and not soggy or over-cooked. It was cooked perfectly. Unfortunately, It seemed to be sprayed with an oily, artificial smoke substance that I could not stand the taste of even when I used a napkin to remove as much as possible of the oil from the veggie. It sort of tasted like someone spilled white gas on the food. Not for me..

Also, do not order the pasta. It is served mostly dry with a small amount of .bottled sauce that was mostly tasteless. They need to upgrade to a better bottled sauce. It needed something. -- a better brand of sauce, a few herbs, a small amount of meat or a meatball, some cheese , but none of that was served or offered. It was just a large filler.

Breakfast had very large proportions.

Problems with the "snack bar" is that is the only game in town. since I visited in September, the snack bar was not open for lunch on weekdays. That meant the only option was the store. The store (not the wonderful snack bar) sold old sandwiches with gray meat on white bread. If only I had known that my hotel room came with a microwave and frig,I could have at least brought something to fill in the missing meals.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles
“Better than some other food in the park”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

After a dinner and breakfast at the Grant Grove restaurant, our lunch here at the Cedar Lodge snack bar was amazingly refreshing. I'm not saying it was any better than typical snack bar food, but my club sandwich and my wife's chicken sandwich were tasty. And the view was great, despite the smoke from a nearby fire that forced us to eat inside near the window. I may not have been so happy had I been staying at Cedar Lodge and counting on this snack bar for all my meals, but our lunch there was great.

Tucson, Arizona
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

We ate dinner and breakfast here and the food was actually better than i expected it would be. Everything is ordered and picked up at the counter and served on paper plates with disposable utensils.

For dinner, we both had the special, which was baked ziti with salad and garlic toast for $10.95. The ziti was very flavorful and had chicken, zuchini and yellow squash. The salad was served with packaged dressing, but was fresh and actually not bad.

For breakfast, we had eggs with potatoes and a biscuit. Just standard breakfast food, but it was just fine.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere