“Beautiful setting on a gorgeous river” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cedar Grove Lodge

Cedar Grove Lodge
You added Cedar Grove Lodge to your Saves list
Cedar Grove Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   General's Hwy, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA 93633   |
Texas
“Beautiful setting on a gorgeous river”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2014

Yes, electricity does go out at times, but who cares. The staff is wonderful and serves up plenty of food from the microwave during these times. The rooms are dated but very clean. Beautiful breezes or a/c. Scenery getting there is definitely worth the trip. This is not a Hyatt, but certainly MUCH better in so many other ways. A real gem and not to be missed for outdoor enthusiasts and well as those who love beautiful scenery.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2014

Great location if you are visiting the cedar grove area of the park. Rooms were big, very clean. Cafeteria was not the greatest ! Though given the remote location of this place, food was pretty cheap. They even provide complimentary coffee during breakfast ! Check in time is 4.00PM. When I visited, there was no one in the reception before 4'o clock. So, make your travel plans accordingly.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Oceanside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2014

We loved it here! It stands in such beautiful location right next to King's river. You can hear the water flowing at night if you keep the window open. Short drive to many awesome trails in Kings Canyon. We spent 3 days here, but we were so sad to leave. We will definitely come back! Snack bar was really yummy and affordable as well. BBQ lunch was delicious! Hope to come back soon!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2014 via mobile

Let me qualify this by saying I stayed here at end of season...I mean the very last days of operation. I believe that has influence over my experience in some ways.

Let me start with registration. Check-In starts at 4pm sharp - no earlier. The gal who handled the registration was friendly. My critique is not about her, it's about the process. As each guest approached, sheaf to physically leave the counter to go check on bathe status of there room(s). It seems there has to be a better way this. To leave people standing there at the counter. I would suggest walkie talkies or something? I stayed I a patio room which was not cleaned so I had to wait about an hour. Fortunately, I had a nice, river front patio with a lounge chair to sit and wait. The room was small but the bed was comfortable and there was a sink, mini-fridge and microwave which was very nice to have. There was no thermostat to adjust he AC which was always on but there was an unplugged space heater in the room. I actually thought it was left there by accident because it looked industrial, not like a home space heater. Still, I used it one night and it worked. The bathroom was fine, small a but clean and the shower was good. Beware that the ceiling of the patio room is the floor of these snack bar beck. That means you hear ever footstep and rearrangement of furniture above you. It was definitely something I heard but never went late or disrupted sleep. In the summer, I'm not sure that would be the case.

I brought my own food but I did have one cheeseburger at the snack bar. It was thick and juicy on a wheat bun. It was quite good. There is a market which has a variety of drinks and basic food items. They had a River front BBQ everyday from noon to 4pm which seemed popular with day tourists.

I didn't make many requests of the staff but those I did were promptly attended to (extra pillow and to borrow a can opener). The bottom line, I got just what I wanted here. I usually a tent camp but this time I wanted a warm bed and a shower - I got both and they were good. One final thought, just remember where you are and that staying here is about the location and the experience - this is not a luxury resort. I saw some others guest being really rude to the staff who were doing their best and I just thought it wasn't necessary - as their little saying goes, wifi is everywhere, the mountains are not.

Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
VT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2014

Cedar Grove Lodge is in one of the most beautiful locations I can think of. It's great that there is a hotel to stay at way out in King's Canyon, and I'm grateful we were able to find a room there. The accommodations were very dirty and outdated, however. I would have preferred driving into King's Canyon for the day, doing our hikes, and driving back out to Grant Grove.

The staff at Cedar Grove were nice but not particulary on the ball. The food at the restaurant is mediocre, unhealthy, and expensive.

It cost $150/night. I'd pay no more than $60 to stay there. You're better off camping or driving back out to Grant Grove.

Room Tip: Rooms have very thin walls
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels

Irvine, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2014

Accommodations at CGL are adequate given the stunning beauty of Kings Canyon, but cosmetic updating of the lodge would be appreciated. Spent one night and found the staff to be welcoming. The food choices at the snack bar were quite tasty and served its purpose: nourishment to get out and see more of the surroundings. Rooms are quite dated and could use some freshening, but appeared clean. AC units are quite loud though and made restful sleep difficult. Water pressure in the shower was nonexistent. But this is all nitpicking; outside is where it's at and where all my memories of Kings Canyon will linger.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2014

Our arrival was great as we were met by a helpful gal named Diane who made us feel welcome and appreciated. We'd raced the clock to get to the hotel by 9:00pm, but Diane said that she'd always wait for everyone to arrive before she headed out for the night - which showed us immediately that the Cedar Grove had some heart!! The room hadn't seen many updates in the past 20 years...but the towels and sheets were new and nice and clean, Overall, we enjoyed our one night stay but it was the staff we encountered that tipped the scales favorably! Location is beautiful, but quite a ways from most of the attractions of the parks.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family

Been to Cedar Grove Lodge? Share your experiences!