“Loved this place.” 5 of 5 stars

Cedar Grove Lodge
Save Saved
You added Cedar Grove Lodge to your Saves list
Cedar Grove Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   General's Hwy, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA 93633   |
Oceanside, California
“Loved this place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We loved it here! It stands in such beautiful location right next to King's river. You can hear the water flowing at night if you keep the window open. Short drive to many awesome trails in Kings Canyon. We spent 3 days here, but we were so sad to leave. We will definitely come back! Snack bar was really yummy and affordable as well. BBQ lunch was delicious! Hope to come back soon!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
San Diego, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Let me qualify this by saying I stayed here at end of season...I mean the very last days of operation. I believe that has influence over my experience in some ways.

Let me start with registration. Check-In starts at 4pm sharp - no earlier. The gal who handled the registration was friendly. My critique is not about her, it's about the process. As each guest approached, sheaf to physically leave the counter to go check on bathe status of there room(s). It seems there has to be a better way this. To leave people standing there at the counter. I would suggest walkie talkies or something? I stayed I a patio room which was not cleaned so I had to wait about an hour. Fortunately, I had a nice, river front patio with a lounge chair to sit and wait. The room was small but the bed was comfortable and there was a sink, mini-fridge and microwave which was very nice to have. There was no thermostat to adjust he AC which was always on but there was an unplugged space heater in the room. I actually thought it was left there by accident because it looked industrial, not like a home space heater. Still, I used it one night and it worked. The bathroom was fine, small a but clean and the shower was good. Beware that the ceiling of the patio room is the floor of these snack bar beck. That means you hear ever footstep and rearrangement of furniture above you. It was definitely something I heard but never went late or disrupted sleep. In the summer, I'm not sure that would be the case.

I brought my own food but I did have one cheeseburger at the snack bar. It was thick and juicy on a wheat bun. It was quite good. There is a market which has a variety of drinks and basic food items. They had a River front BBQ everyday from noon to 4pm which seemed popular with day tourists.

I didn't make many requests of the staff but those I did were promptly attended to (extra pillow and to borrow a can opener). The bottom line, I got just what I wanted here. I usually a tent camp but this time I wanted a warm bed and a shower - I got both and they were good. One final thought, just remember where you are and that staying here is about the location and the experience - this is not a luxury resort. I saw some others guest being really rude to the staff who were doing their best and I just thought it wasn't necessary - as their little saying goes, wifi is everywhere, the mountains are not.

Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
VT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Cedar Grove Lodge is in one of the most beautiful locations I can think of. It's great that there is a hotel to stay at way out in King's Canyon, and I'm grateful we were able to find a room there. The accommodations were very dirty and outdated, however. I would have preferred driving into King's Canyon for the day, doing our hikes, and driving back out to Grant Grove.

The staff at Cedar Grove were nice but not particulary on the ball. The food at the restaurant is mediocre, unhealthy, and expensive.

It cost $150/night. I'd pay no more than $60 to stay there. You're better off camping or driving back out to Grant Grove.

Room Tip: Rooms have very thin walls
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Irvine, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Accommodations at CGL are adequate given the stunning beauty of Kings Canyon, but cosmetic updating of the lodge would be appreciated. Spent one night and found the staff to be welcoming. The food choices at the snack bar were quite tasty and served its purpose: nourishment to get out and see more of the surroundings. Rooms are quite dated and could use some freshening, but appeared clean. AC units are quite loud though and made restful sleep difficult. Water pressure in the shower was nonexistent. But this is all nitpicking; outside is where it's at and where all my memories of Kings Canyon will linger.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Our arrival was great as we were met by a helpful gal named Diane who made us feel welcome and appreciated. We'd raced the clock to get to the hotel by 9:00pm, but Diane said that she'd always wait for everyone to arrive before she headed out for the night - which showed us immediately that the Cedar Grove had some heart!! The room hadn't seen many updates in the past 20 years...but the towels and sheets were new and nice and clean, Overall, we enjoyed our one night stay but it was the staff we encountered that tipped the scales favorably! Location is beautiful, but quite a ways from most of the attractions of the parks.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This lodge is located deep inside Kings Canyon. Had a room facing the river and the staff was positive and helpful. It is "rustic" but comfortable. There are many trails nearby. It is located about an hour from Grants Grove and another hour to Sequoia National Park. Spent 4 days here and did lots of hiking. Would recommend bringing some of your own food...as the snack bar does offer some hot food (free coffee for guests) but the food is mediocre.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Newport Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Don't set expectations too high! Cedar Grove Lodge is decent value for money, I suppose, when compared to other options in the parks system. It has a wonderfully tranquil location next to Kings River, though, it does need an overhaul & a deep cleaning.

Request a river-view deluxe room, which happens to have a mini-fridge unlike our parking lot view, no-fridge unit (at least ice was available - bring a cooler!). Walls (and comforters) have smudges of I-don't-want-to-know-what and corners/details of room/bath have not had attention since the Carter administration. When we arrived, toilet appeared to be recently used, which begged the sanitary-level question. At least linens were near-new and/or clean (only a very few hairs not ours). Our heat/AC was broken & rigged w/duct tape (scary), but I was told new HVAC may be installed for next season. Temp swings quite a bit, so during a very hot September (90F, 32.2C) we experienced an overnight hail storm. And only one electrical outlet for the entire room (and one in bathroom) makes battery & electrical management a small issue (cameras, phones, white noise machine, etc). The adjoining door between our room and next door had paper towels shoved into the large gap between the frame and the top of the door, so I could actually see the ceiling in the unit next door and hear most of what went on (white noise machine helpful at night). The only restaurant meal that was really enjoyable was breakfast, though it was still slightly hit and miss, but staff were more than happy to rectify if requested.

Staff was delightful! Special thank you to Christine for late night necessities (much ice, pack & play and linens for our 4 month new baby, etc), Adeline for always wearing a smile (like most staff here tend to do!), and the very kind and helpful lady managing the store. Made our stay so much more enjoyable than it might have been otherwise.

Other highlights were the common area balcony, which is great for enjoying beer, wine, coffee, cocoa, or just for kicking your shoes off and watching nature to the river's delightful soundtrack. There is free WiFi, which worked well for me during our off-peak season stay in late September. The lodge seemed to court a wide variety of visitors from serious backpackers, large and small families, couples (young and not-so), random family groups, and bikers. A good vibe. Prices in the general store are not out of the expected norm, so you can enjoy a local bottled brew for $1.5 (but generic big beer labels will run closer to $4+), buy a T-shirt for $20-25 or T-shirt/hat combo for $21, and you can buy your very own giant sequoia seedling if you have room to plant it (maybe the neighbor's house won't be there in 2,000 years, so go ahead and plant it in their yard)!

Proximity to hiking was nice, but it is a long way in and out to see sights within other areas of the parks. Was a good stay, but would not do so again unless there are slight renovations and I hear the cleanliness improves. Willing to pay more for it if so! A beautiful place to get away.

Room Tip: Get deluxe room if available as they include a mini-fridge. We had no fridge (bring an ice chest oth...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family

Been to Cedar Grove Lodge? Share your experiences!