“Great location for Sequoia park” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Stony Creek Lodge

Save Saved
You added Stony Creek Lodge to your Saves list
Stony Creek Lodge
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   General's Hwy, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA 93633   |
Fairfax, VA
“Great location for Sequoia park”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

My sisters, wife, and two teenage sons stayed here for two nights. The hotel has a great location, situated in woods between sequoia and Kings Canyon. The property itself reminds me of park properties I stayed in the 60's. We needed a cot in our room, but arrived after the lodge was closed, and it wasn't there, so my son slept on the floor. He said the floor was better than the cot which he slept on the second night. The breakfast was ok, but the patio made up for any deficiencies.

The parks were great. Kings Canyon was amazingly beautiful.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Sacramento
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2007

My husband and I recently spent 4 days in Sequoia/Kings Canyon, and stayed at the Stony Creek Lodge. Like most rustic places in the Sierras, it was simple and modestly decorated, but comfortable and clean. There are several campsites nearby that rely on the small market, shower facilities, and gas station (the only one in the park!). After a day hiking the nearly trails, we spent the evening eating freshly baked Calzones and drinking ice cold beer we bought at the market on the outdoor deck under umbrellas. There are few places in the Sequoia/Kings Canyon area to eat, and it was nice to have a room and meal all in one location. For a splurge, we had dinner one night at the restaurant in Grant Grove, where a traditional sit-down meal could be had. There they served dinner items such as Salmon, St. Louis style ribs, and the all-American basics like hamburgers and the like. Stony Creek also offers a complementary continental breakfast with the basics. And, during our stay the staff told stories of the bears that live in and around the lodge area. We really enjoyed it. The other reviewers were expecting the Ritz Carlton, but remember this is the Sierras, and a room and meal in this lodge beats sleeping on the ground in a crowded campsite (without shower facilities) any day.

• Liked — Clean, conveniently located in the park
  • Disliked — no refrigerator in room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Southern California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2007

I just got home from Sequoia National Forest. I stayed at the Stony Creek Lodge AND RESORT. Hardy har har....My husband and I took off for the weekend looking forward to hanging out together, staying in a nice hotel and having a nice dinner, It's all I wanted. I was shocked upon our arrival. I almost was at a loss for words, then a few slipped out... I stood staring at what I thought was a queen sized bed with a gross comforter and a matching single bed next to it. Green carpet and like the other reviewer noted missmatched furniture that appeared to be 50 years old covered in dust and the room was small and there was only a portable fan and no television. The sheets did not fit the bed and I woke up with them tangled around my legs. The bathroom was dilapidated as well and came with mold. The room picked up every sound made outside of it, be it the road, the generator at the gas station, the restaurant downstairs, the lodge sitting area and even the neighbor's shower. Oh the restaurant... Pizza..expensive not worth it pizza. Want something to drink with that other than soda, you buy it from the market. My husband offered for us to leave the park that night disregarding the tickets we purchased for the caves in the a.m. and just go home. I don't care how close it is to where ever you may be going. I would not stay there again especially for the $165.00 for one night. You will be sorry. I was sorry I did not ask my husband to check TripAdvisory before booking the room. I will never make that mistake again.

Stayed July 2007
San Francisco, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2007

The rooms are very small, and not worth the $140 fee. Plus when we got there, there was a large mouse trap with a mousse inside alive next to our bed... This kept me up all night, and of course who can sleep in these conditions. The rooms smelled like an old stinky place.Additionally, the staff does not know the general area, so we were looking for this place for 2 hours. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Philips Ranch, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2007

We should have trusted the reviews on TripAdvisor.com before booking, but it was too late. I was nervous prior to arriving since all the previous reviews were so bad about this place. Well, all the reviews were correct.
Stony Creek Lodge is by far the worst place I have ever stayed. We actually stayed 3 nights. My wife and I were disgusted and very frustrated, but what could we do. All the other places in the park were already booked.
The first night, the electricity went out for a few hours. Then there was no hot water for 24 hours. That meant taking cold showers.
This place would be okay if they only charged $50/night. Unfortunately, they charge around $140.
I have learned from my mistake. I hope I can help others by not making the same mistake I did.

• Liked — location is very convenient to Sequoia and King's Canyon National Parks
  • Disliked — We hated just about everything about this place.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Carbondale, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2007

The furniture looked liked it was bought at a yard sale with nothing matching. It was so dusty that we cleaned it ourselves. The walls are paper thin so it was very noisy. The place closes down at 7 p.m. and does not open until 8 a.m..

We stayed one night and left at 5:30 a.m. without taking showers or eating. It was a disgusting place to stay and we should have been paid to stay instead of paying the price we did for absolutely no services.

Poor, poor, poor!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Not being clean
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2007

I booked a room in advance for $150. Now, you'd think for that amount, you'd get at least 3 or 4 star accomodations, right? Well, when we arrived, we discovered a dump - very rundown and dilapitated. It looks like it hasn't been updated since the early 1960s. My wife didn't even want to use the bathroom because there was urine on the seat. OK, that could be expected for $70 perhaps, but not for $150. We told the manager we weren't staying, but he told us that our credit card would be charged anyway. Very nice. I wrote a letter to the management asking for a refund, but it was ignored. Thanks Stony Creek Lodge. You got me for $150.

Stayed June 2006

Been to Stony Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!