“thank's katie” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stony Creek Lodge

Save Saved
You added Stony Creek Lodge to your Saves list
Stony Creek Lodge
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   General's Hwy, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA 93633   |
Culver City, California
“thank's katie”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

to the stoney creek inn staff

we would like to thank all of the staff specially katie for being so so helpful and friendly with us
this made our vacation even better it was truly a pleasure staying at stoney creek
we will surely recommend it to all our friends and for sure we will be back to see you all real soon.

Catherine and Patrick Boucly
CULVER CITY , CA

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

What they don't tell you on their website:
1. The Stony Creek Lodge sits on top of a convenient store. (They conveniently crop out that part of the lodge on the picture they use on the website)
2. They leave main doors (the door upstairs facing the public showers) propped open all night, allowing anyone to enter the upstairs where guests are sleeping.
3. Their walls are THIN.

I'm not asking to stay in a Ritz Carlton in a National Park. I've stayed in MANY great lodges in the National Parks... most with less amenities than Stony Creek. (This lodge has wi-fi and satellite TV) But, I've never felt unsafe until our stay at Stony Creek. I don't feel it's the same lodge they explain on the website. I don't recommend this lodge for families or folks who care about strangers lurking outside your thin hotel door in the middle of the night. It was a weird experience for us. Also, it's not cheap, $150/night. My advice: Book early and stay at the Montecito Lodge or the John Muir Lodge.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

We decided to visit Sequoia NP at the last minute in the busy Summer season so we were happy to find any rooms or campsite near the park available. The room was small but clean; the carpeting in our room was clean and the bathroom fixtures were new so we were all good on that front. However, given the price and the negative experience we had we will not stay here again.

From the onset the staff was not very helpful. For instance, the lamp in our room was missing a light bulb so we asked the person at the front desk for help, but he told us that he did not know where to get a light bulb. In the morning, the lodge offers 'continental' breakfast for hotel guests. There were many plastic bags full of bread and English muffins to toast; however, the toaster was not working. When we told the person who was refilling the supplies about the toaster, she simply said 'sometimes it works, sometimes it does not' with no indication that she cared at all. Then one evening we wanted to use the telephone in our room. We followed the instructions to make an outside call, and this did not work. Both my husband and I asked for help but were told by the staff at the 'front desk' that we were obviously doing it wrong. We gave up asking for their help; it was a waste of time. Interestingly though, we overheard other guests discussing the fact that their phone was not working.

To top it all off, we returned from a day of hiking to find that they did not clean our bathroom. We try to be green so not having new towels was no big deal, but the fact that they didn't give us a dry bathmat and did not even pretend to tidy it was a bit much.

I have no qualms about staying in a rural lodge that is basically a few rooms above a convenience store, but at this price, I do expect them to try, at least a little bit. To be honest, if this room cost < $100, I would not even be complaining.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2009

We were disappointed with this lodge because the hotel and especially the rooms are in poor condition. The A/C didn't work and the replacement fan was filthy. The decor was ugly and old. On the positive side it does have an OK shower (but very limited hot water) There was a cable TV and reasonable space.
The staff were fine and it wouldn't cost much to make it look nice. The place is crying out to get a little tender loving care. As it is it felt neglected and overpriced compared to the other accommodation we visited and stayed at in the park..

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

We didn’t expect a a wonderful, cozy, rustic, clean and very friendly lodge with such a pleasant people that me and my husband felt were really interested in making your staying a very enjoyable one. The location is very good ( quite in the middle of the 2 parks so we were able to visit both parks Sequoia and Kings Canyon very easily ).I was impressed by the cozy living room ( by the reception area) with a real fire place, the clean of the room and especially the bathroom were awesome !!! I already told my friends to revisit and have fun together.The staff was nice nice nice we made friends with Kathy a very professional and friendly manager.Thanks for all!!! SEE YOU SOON!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
torrance
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

This was a great way to start off our summer vacation. We stayed a Stony Creek for three days while visiting the park. Accommodations were actually better than expected. While the furniture could be updated, the rooms were still well-kept. There's a kind of rustic feel, and this is a beautiful area. The staff was AWESOME!!! They really go out of their way to help you. We have young children. One of the managers, Katrina, really made us all feel welcome. She handles problems really well. My only complaint is the irate guest who complained so much that it made the rest of us irritated. (Please don't go to a national park and expect a 5-star hotel. I mean, really?!?) I would definitely come back.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Stoney Creek Lodge for two nights while exploring the Sequoias and wished we had payed a litter extra for another place in the park. First of all, I was not expecting a resort, I just wanted a nice clean room with a comfy bed (for $165 a night). What we got was a dirty room that was last updated in the 60's. Hardly no lighting to see and a 20 year old bed where the seams were ripped and the bedding was coming out. On our second night we were kept awake from a very loud strange sound coming fro the bathroom. We found out that it was the sound of the water being turned off, and air coming into the lines. Thats right folks, no morning shower, no flushing the toilet and no washing your hands. The location is very convenient and there is a store in the building (only open from 8-6) but other than that the place is an over priced dump.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Stony Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!