“Best service throughout - most enjoyable experience ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of John Muir Lodge

You added John Muir Lodge to your Saves list
John Muir Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   86728 Highway 180, Grant Grove, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA 93633   |
“Best service throughout - most enjoyable experience ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

My wife and I spent our 30th anniversary there last week.
We were looking forward to the hiking and exploring in the Sierra country and not really concerned about the accomodations.
However- as it turned out - our stay at the Lodge was so much fun that I have to tell somebody.
First - the restaurant: I must mention our server, Miss Kim, she was so funny and helpfull.
We really enjoyed her company at dinner time - thank you Kim!
Miss Pam took care of us at breakfast - making sure we had our coffee and also making certain that we would take the scenic hike before we ended our stay - the one that is just a mile or two behind the Lodge. We were going to skip it but Pam inststed and she was right!
All of the staff were extremely knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the Park and it showed.
Now - the for the Best Part of Our Stay - Chef Brandon.
My wife and I had dinner in the Lodge shortly after we checked in. The soup special was broccoli with roasted gouda. It was Perfect. I mean we looked at each other like "what the ** just happened - this soup is amazing!"
The next evening - we decided to have a big dinner, stray off the diet plan a little maybe.... I was thinking rib eye....
Turns out the special was a pork tenderloin roasted with an orange marmelaide cilantro glaze and we could have sweet potato fries with chipotle ketchup. I had never had a meal so perfectly prepared in my life and I have been a few places.
Inspite of ourselves we finished the plate in embarrasingly short order. Miss Kim came by to check on us and we all laughed - "I know - its so good, right?" she says.... It was Epic.
Chef Brandon - thank you for the Best Dinner Experience Ever. And for the surprise creme brulee desert.
Les carottes sont cuites - we will never enjoy eating in fine restaurants again - they will only disappoint us.
If you plan to visit the Kings Canyon or Sequoia National Park - please do yourself a solid and go see Kim and Pam at the Grant Grove Restaurant...dont forget to ask about the Special of the Day - Chef Brandon will take good care of you.
And if you need accomodations - the John Muir Lodge is our new favorite place - I confidently recommend it.

• Stayed November 2014

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Los Osos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

John Muir Lodge is a wonderful, economical, quiet place to stay while visiting King's Canyon and Sequoia. The area hiking in the giant Sequoias is an experience not to be missed. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I visited the lodge for my birthday this past year. The room was clean, but my bathroom had mold on the ceiling (not a patch, there was a lot of noticeable mold). I travel all over the world, and I have stayed in 5 star hotels and hostels, but when I pay more than $150 / night, I expect the bathroom to be clean. Besides the mold, I had an amazing experience. It was peaceful and the surrounding parks were amazing! There is a restaurant less than a mile away - the staff there is amazing and extremely friendly :) I don't like giving poor reviews, but when my room is not clean (I was also overcharged for my stay) I have to comment.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Pleasanton, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed 2 nights in a standard two queen bed room on the second floor. Clean and quiet hotel. WiFi is only available in the first floor community room of the lodge and at the restaurant. Check-in is near the restaurant as you turn in off Hwy 180 (across from the Park Service Visitors Center) - the lodge is about 4 blocks towards the back of the parking lot. The restaurant is the only close option for food. Average food and reasonable priced, but good service.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

What a great place to stay in Kings Canyon; the main communal room is so awesome with an ever awe inspiring fireplace, comfortable chairs and couches, great window views, and perfect place to just chill and be at peace with yourself. Get the vibe?
Park your vehicle and no need to drive until you leave; walk and hike everywhere!
The Lodge is perfectly located; directly across the street, and the trail to General Grant Tree is so much fun. While you are walking on the trail you may see pixies and fairies dancing and carrying on, the Chelsea Cat scurrying to and fro, and yes, unicorns playing in the rainbow reflection. Shhhh, there is Alice so this must be Wonderland! Yes it is!
The Gift Store, Restaurant and General Store will satisfy your needs and all within a EZ walk from the Lodge.
Enjoy watching the Sky Show that plays every night in the sky.
Please, o please, use your "in the forest" voices because hearing your voice changes my trip; I am here to enjoy the Sounds of the Forest not your screaming or loud voices.... If you can hear your voice then you are too loud for the Forest.
This is 420 territory and sometimes it is nice to enjoy Edibles or windowpane to show me the way. Shhhhh, did you hear that? Shhhhh, did you see that?
Shhhhhhhhhhhh
Oooooo, the 2 mile hike to the Minds Eye waterfall was perfect; so perfect!
Peace Out!

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
PropertyExecutive, Web Coordinator at John Muir Lodge, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thanks for the great review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay.

I clearly need to keep a better eye out - I have somehow missed the pixies and the fairies on the trail to the Grant Grove, but I have no doubt they are there if you have the eyes to see.

I can, however. verify that the fireplace is cozy on a chilly night and walking quietly in the forest enhances the magic.

Thanks for your stay and your review. I hope we'll see you again.
Palmdale, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The beautiful Sequoia's and Kings Canyon were awesome. Unfortunately, the smoke from the fireplace at the John Muir Lodge was not vented well. This is not a good place for someone with respiratory problems to stay.

The room was lovely and everyone on staff was friendly and helpful. Decor was perfect for the setting. Very family friendly with activities for the grade school age children.

The rooms were heated by a weird heating system that made strange sounds.

Room Tip: Second floor is accessed by stairs only. Visitors with respiratory problems should consider someplac...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Renee R, General Manager at John Muir Lodge, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Good day -

Thank you for taking the time to write us regarding your experience at the John Muir Lodge last weekend. Sorry to hear that the smoke from the fireplace was troublesome for you.

Please feel free to contact me personally if you have any ideas on how we can make the lodge more user friendly for our guests that may have asthma or allergies.

Sounds like the rest of your visit was good - I am assuming you are referencing our pumpkin carving event that we do in conjunction with the Sequoia Natural History - it was a really fun event.

Take care -
Castro Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great lodge experience. It has the look and feel of a real lodge. I wish I could have stayed more than just one night to thoroughly enjoy it. The room was clean, and the bedding was comfortable. The bathroom just needed to be a bit cleaner--door, shower curtain, and tub.

Room Tip: The wifi is in the lodge community room which was a great experience with the fire roaring and the w...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to John Muir Lodge? Share your experiences!