“Relaxing weekend plus.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of John Muir Lodge

You added John Muir Lodge to your Saves list
John Muir Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   86728 Highway 180, Grant Grove, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA 93633   |
Los Osos, California
“Relaxing weekend plus.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

John Muir Lodge is a wonderful, economical, quiet place to stay while visiting King's Canyon and Sequoia. The area hiking in the giant Sequoias is an experience not to be missed. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I visited the lodge for my birthday this past year. The room was clean, but my bathroom had mold on the ceiling (not a patch, there was a lot of noticeable mold). I travel all over the world, and I have stayed in 5 star hotels and hostels, but when I pay more than $150 / night, I expect the bathroom to be clean. Besides the mold, I had an amazing experience. It was peaceful and the surrounding parks were amazing! There is a restaurant less than a mile away - the staff there is amazing and extremely friendly :) I don't like giving poor reviews, but when my room is not clean (I was also overcharged for my stay) I have to comment.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Pleasanton, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed 2 nights in a standard two queen bed room on the second floor. Clean and quiet hotel. WiFi is only available in the first floor community room of the lodge and at the restaurant. Check-in is near the restaurant as you turn in off Hwy 180 (across from the Park Service Visitors Center) - the lodge is about 4 blocks towards the back of the parking lot. The restaurant is the only close option for food. Average food and reasonable priced, but good service.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

What a great place to stay in Kings Canyon; the main communal room is so awesome with an ever awe inspiring fireplace, comfortable chairs and couches, great window views, and perfect place to just chill and be at peace with yourself. Get the vibe?
Park your vehicle and no need to drive until you leave; walk and hike everywhere!
The Lodge is perfectly located; directly across the street, and the trail to General Grant Tree is so much fun. While you are walking on the trail you may see pixies and fairies dancing and carrying on, the Chelsea Cat scurrying to and fro, and yes, unicorns playing in the rainbow reflection. Shhhh, there is Alice so this must be Wonderland! Yes it is!
The Gift Store, Restaurant and General Store will satisfy your needs and all within a EZ walk from the Lodge.
Enjoy watching the Sky Show that plays every night in the sky.
Please, o please, use your "in the forest" voices because hearing your voice changes my trip; I am here to enjoy the Sounds of the Forest not your screaming or loud voices.... If you can hear your voice then you are too loud for the Forest.
This is 420 territory and sometimes it is nice to enjoy Edibles or windowpane to show me the way. Shhhhh, did you hear that? Shhhhh, did you see that?
Shhhhhhhhhhhh
Oooooo, the 2 mile hike to the Minds Eye waterfall was perfect; so perfect!
Peace Out!

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
PropertyExecutive, Web Coordinator at John Muir Lodge, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thanks for the great review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay.

I clearly need to keep a better eye out - I have somehow missed the pixies and the fairies on the trail to the Grant Grove, but I have no doubt they are there if you have the eyes to see.

I can, however. verify that the fireplace is cozy on a chilly night and walking quietly in the forest enhances the magic.

Thanks for your stay and your review. I hope we'll see you again.
Palmdale, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The beautiful Sequoia's and Kings Canyon were awesome. Unfortunately, the smoke from the fireplace at the John Muir Lodge was not vented well. This is not a good place for someone with respiratory problems to stay.

The room was lovely and everyone on staff was friendly and helpful. Decor was perfect for the setting. Very family friendly with activities for the grade school age children.

The rooms were heated by a weird heating system that made strange sounds.

Room Tip: Second floor is accessed by stairs only. Visitors with respiratory problems should consider someplac...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Renee R, General Manager at John Muir Lodge, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Good day -

Thank you for taking the time to write us regarding your experience at the John Muir Lodge last weekend. Sorry to hear that the smoke from the fireplace was troublesome for you.

Please feel free to contact me personally if you have any ideas on how we can make the lodge more user friendly for our guests that may have asthma or allergies.

Sounds like the rest of your visit was good - I am assuming you are referencing our pumpkin carving event that we do in conjunction with the Sequoia Natural History - it was a really fun event.

Take care -
Castro Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Great lodge experience. It has the look and feel of a real lodge. I wish I could have stayed more than just one night to thoroughly enjoy it. The room was clean, and the bedding was comfortable. The bathroom just needed to be a bit cleaner--door, shower curtain, and tub.

Room Tip: The wifi is in the lodge community room which was a great experience with the fire roaring and the w...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I purchased the panoramic package which entails breakfast in a box so you can eat on the trail. I thought there was a specific trail they had that lead to a great view. When I was giving our food I asked and the person at the front desk just listed off hikes in the area. I walked to the gift shop to ask about a good hike for a view andshe was able to list easy trails with a great view. I just wish maybe they had a signature trail for this package. I spent a good chunk of my early morning trying to ffigure out which trails would be good for my girlfriend who is barely getting into the hiking thing.

• Stayed October 2014
Thank you for your review.

While I am very glad to hear that our staff was friendly and the room is clean - I am a bit disappointed to hear that whomever you spoke to at the front desk was unable to give you clear directions to "Panoramic Point" which is a short 2.5 mile drive to the trailhead from our front desk that offers sweeping views of Kings Canyon and beautiful Hume lake.

I hope you were able to get out and enjoy a hike nonetheless and I apologize for the lack of info you were given.

I always share guest’s comments with the team and appreciate the opportunity to improve our services to our guests.

Delaware North is known for its Hospitality and we always want to make memorable experiences - one guest at a time.

Please come back and visit us again.

Been to John Muir Lodge? Share your experiences!