“Great Americana” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kings Canyon Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Kings Canyon Lodge
67741 Kings Canyon Road, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA 93633   |
Snowmass Village, Colorado
“Great Americana”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

America is a great and fabulous country and Kings Canyon Lodge is the best of the days of America gone by! This is rustic, clean, decent food, authentic and spectacular scenery. Owner Louis cooks up some good food and as you sit at the bar and enjoy your food and a good chocolate shake after a long day of spectacular hiking ---you thanks your lucky stars for finding the Kings Canyon Lodge. It had power-- which our park lodge in Kings Canyon did not---running on generators-so no hot food available and we left and went here. Cabins were basic but good, peaceful and relaxing! Stay here and step back in time in America!

Room Tip: Stay in the cabins
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

31 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is a rustic, simple, real-life place. No internet or cel coverage. Owner Louis is an authentic human being who is not going to pamper you or respond well to unrealistic expectations. It's out in the wilderness; gas is more expensive. If you want a comfortable, spartan cabin with good beds, clean sheets and towels, home cooked food and cold drinks you will enjoy this place. If you want four star, go elsewhere. Take the time to sit and watch the hummingbirds flit around the feeders. Breathe mountain air at night under bright stars; it will refresh your spirit.

Room Tip: Give yourself time to appreciate the rustic nature of this place. Great base camp from which to ex...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

As I read some of the negative reviews I cannot help but think that people are spoiled by life, always expecting "more", never slowing down enough to just enjoy where they are.
To enjoy Kings Canyon Lodge you must realize that you are in the middle of one of God's greatest creations, Kings Canyon. The beauty of Kings Canyon is that it is hard to get to and it is on a road "less traveled". This is not the Four Seasons but it is quaint and rustic making it seem like it truly belongs exactly where it is. The rooms are clean and functional, the beds comfortable. It is quiet and peaceful and as you drift off to sleep with the windows open you are caressed by the wind that, thankfully, cool the canyon at night. The leaves on the trees whisper in the wind, reminding me of waves lapping the shore at the ocean's edge. This is the beauty of the canyon and why I love this place. To enjoy this without sleeping in the dirt is a gift.
Those who complain about the price of gas at Kins Canyon Lodge, pumped by very old gravity flow units, fail to realize what it takes, and costs, to deliver gas to this remote location. Gas at Hume Lake, about 13 miles east is similarly priced. Instead of complaining about the cost of ice cream it would be better to enjoy the fact that you can have ice cream at all in the middle of nowhere.
Rather than complain about the demeanor of the proprietors just slow down and enjoy them. Luis is an interesting man who grew up here. He is bright and articulate with an "old school" view of the world that is refreshing and his wisdom, brought by years of living in the canyon, is shared with all who have the time and inclination to listen. He seems like the kind of man who enjoys a slow simple life and so his annoyance with people who let their kids run wild or their dogs pee on anything is not surprising. He is equally annoyed by those who stop just to use the bathroom without being a paying customer, as I would be if I were in his shoes. This isn't the city with a sewer system but rather uses a septic tank system which I'm sure is expensive to clean when full. If you buy an ice cream, gas, or a soda you are welcome to use the restroom, as it should be.
So, for those who enjoy real peace and quiet in a rustic environment Kings Canyon Lodge is a great place to stay. Just don't go expecting The Four Seasons resort experience. You will be rewarded with a unique experience that money can't buy.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Stockton, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We (me, husband, and two kids) had originally reserved a 3 night stay at the Grant Grove cabins. However, they had nothing but tent cabins - just wood covered with a tarp, and my 8 month old cried the whole night because we could not stay warm. The front desk staff offered us are lecturing warmer but there are not electrical outlets inside of tent cabins! She them referred us to this lodge which we took the 20 minute drive to get to after canceling the remaining night stays.

I was told over the phone but the female owner that it would be $199 for a night stay for 2 adults and 2 kids. When I arrived, the male employee greeted me but let the male owner handle the check in since he only started working there 5 days ago. The male owner nor the female owner smiled, but went about making food in the kitchen. The male owner asked for how many people and I said for 2 adults and 2 kids. Then he inquired how old my were. Since this is a privately owned establishment, they Candice you at whatever price they want, and that is probably why you won't be able to find a quote on this website.

The male owner charged me upfront $119 for the stay so I decided to do an additional night so he charged me again $119. He told me to go look at room L2, the room we would be staying in before I paid. The room was directly above the "restuarant" and we heard either a generator or refrigerator humming all night long. Both owners were not particularly friendly or unfriendly, they just didn't smile. Luckily, the female owner fell sick the next day so that was on stone face we had to see.

We did NOT receive keys to our room. The entrance was a sliding window. When I inquired the male owner about this, he said no one would take our clothes and cooler, and if we had anything valuable, take it with us when we go out and that they would keep an eye out.

The owners have a golden retriever and just like the owners, was not friendly or unfriendly. The dog just stared. No tail wagging, no walking up to is sniffing us, just stared. Strange...

Anyways, our room had one full size bed and one twin bed with two chaired and a dresser and fun mirror in it. Yup, a fun mirror on the vanity dresser. We had to go down a hallway that had a bunk bed in it to get to the bathroom. It was clean with extra towels and had a shower with hot water. Clean sink, clean toilet, and clean showers. The room also had a ceiling light and an electric imitation kerosene lamp that worked. We liked the balcony deck but the sun had done its damage on the plastic table and chairs. They were dusty, but wind + trees = dust everywhere.

The food at the restaurant ws expensive but was good. I got a bacon sandwich and hot chocolate for breakfast. This place is 20 minutes away from the Boyden Cave so we took a trip there. After returning, we didn't have missing things. But boy did that room creek when we walked! It is not insulated well so when it gets windy at night, you will feel it. Also, being that it is directly above the restaurant, you will hear the customers talking loudly in the morning. But what a nice view to the stars at night.

After a 2 night stay, we were happy to go home. I am not sure if I will bring my family back to this lodge again, but the overall scenery was beautiful. Friendly employee with strange owners.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
sonoma county, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

It cracks me up to read that this is a "quaint, rustic lodge". What a pit. Don't use the bathroom outside of the store. It is worse then the filthiest gas station bathroom you've ever been in. No tp, soap or paper to dry your hands. Owner rude.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels

Peterborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

The location cannot be bettered but the cabin accommodation is very run down (or at least our cabin was, I cannot comment on the other cabins which had been occupied before we arrived). This is the nearest lodgings to Kings Canyon itself, middle of nowhere, very relaxing. The lady owner is honest about her basic lodgings and very friendly. The bed and the shower were clean, but the remainder of the cabin was falling apart: the patio door came off in my hands when I tried to shut it! We stayed two nights and would stay again simply because of the location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Kings Canyon Lodge. Situated near Cedar Grove and the trailhead for the Rae Lakes Loop, it was the perfect place to get ready the night before going into the backcountry for a week of hiking.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Kings Canyon Lodge? Share your experiences!