“You Will Obey!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Kings Canyon Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Kings Canyon Lodge
67741 Kings Canyon Road, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA 93633   |
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“You Will Obey!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

If you want a great base to explore Kings Canyon (and the Cedar Lodge is full), this is your only option. There were no bed bugs and a crazed axe murderer did not break in to kill us during the night.

Other than that, there is little to recommend the Kings Canyon Lodge to the visiting tourist.

If you were wondering what a lodge run by an American/Christian version of the Taliban’s Ministry for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice would be like, look no further.

The Lodge offers a Spartan (but clean) version of what lodging would look like in a Mad Max post-apocalyptic world where the management thinks it their mission to tell you how to behave. It is hard to see the Lodge itself, given the proclivity of management to paper almost all available spaces with injunctions against poor behavior and admonishments to follow the right path.

What you get is a no-frills room with a bare light bulb in the ceiling and proactive notices not to move furniture, cook in the room, bring additional people into the room or take photographs without permission of the fuel pump outside. It is not that any of the injunctions are, in themselves, patently unreasonable. It does, however, highlight the general feel of hospitality that is offered as a matter of course in every other place I’ve spent a night.

Despite making it through the night and being able to easily explore the drop dead gorgeous scenery of Kings Canyon, I doubt I would stay at this facility again.

Room Tip: Some cabins are right next to the road. However, the road is seldom used at night.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Kingsburg, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

We did a spontaneous trip to Kings Canyon and knew that we would be lucky to find a place to stay, but we found this place on the National Park web site. Even thought there was a disclaimer about the Park Service not guaranteeing anything, we decided to book it. When we got there, what we can only presume to be the owner was rude and unpleasant and after a bit of begging from us decide that he would open the "restaurant" and serve us very expensive hamburgers.

I made the mistake to using the bathroom, which looked like it had not been cleaned in a while and was plugged with feces floating in the toilet.

Unfortunately, this was after we had paid for the night. When we got to our place, we found burned out lights (we had to find one that worked to light the stairs), light switches you had to play with to get lights to come on, a slow leaking gas stove (could smell the gas). Fortunately, the beds had clean sheets and the bathroom had been cleaned.

Returning the next morning to try to get breakfast, we were greeted by again what we thought was the owner, who was drinking coffee and not making any effort to open the place to eat. Walking past the "old" fashioned gas pumps we noticed the sign that said "No Pictures without Permission." That summed up the whole experience.

Rude, overpriced, questionable sanitation. Overall a terrible place to stay in a most beautiful place!!

Room Tip: Find someplace else to stay.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels

San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We family of 4 booked our stay here. Called up 3 weeks before and made reservation over phone by giving my credit card number. The price was too high but we liked the place where the lodge located so we agreed to the price. No confirmation given and the person said use your first name as your confirmation. Then the week we are suppose to travel there was thunderstorm and so we planned to cancel our stay and called up and said we would like to cancel. The guy @ the hotel now introducing that now I have to pay for cancellation service which is 20% for each day and thus I will be losing 40%. I told them that no one told me about any cancellation policy The guy over there was very ademant that his father who is the boss for the property always tells the cancellation policy to everyone and so he is going to charge my card with 40% cancellation fees.
I told him that I will rise the issue with VISA that you are conducting a business with fraud motivation and I warned him that any charge to my card. I called up VISA and they said they will take care of things if that propery charges me cancellation since they did not disclose their policy in writing by any means like email etc.

So never book your stay there as you will never know what rules they will come up with any time...

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
los angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

this place is totally sketchy - no locks on the doors either. i would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

The young males running this overpriced accomodation do not care about your safty or fairness. After mocking me for not having chains in my rental car they refused to reimpurse me even though the overprised lodge was 90 percent empty .

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
San Pedro, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

What a horrible This is a letter that we sent to the National Parks Services...this place was the WORST experience we have every had. We are also filing a report with the BBB and the health department. As you read on....I guarantee you will NEVER want to visit this place.....EVER!

Dear Sir or Ma'am,

I’m writing to inform you of the appalling experience my family and I had at the Kings Canyon Lodge and to recommend that the National Park Service remove this lodge from its official maps and guides of the Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Park.

For our family summer vacation this year we are spending the week visiting Kings Canyon/Sequoia and Yosemite National Parks. We have six kids with us for this trip: four of our own (ages 9, 9, 6, and 3), a cousin (age 14), and a friend of our older two (age 8). We drove up from the LA area on Friday, July 2nd and are staying at the KOA in Coarsegold. We made our first foray into the National Parks on Sunday, July 4th, spending the day at Kings Canyon/Sequoia.

Our day at the Park was fantastic save our very unfortunate visit to the Kings Canyon Lodge. We spent the morning at Grant’s Grove and were driving the Kings Canyon Scenic Byway in the afternoon toward Cedar Grove when we decided to stop at the Kings Canyon Lodge for fuel and to feed the kids.

I got fuel and my wife ordered lunch inside the Lodge for she and the kids. The woman who took our order (she appeared to be the Lodge owner) was from the start generally unpleasant. She did not smile and was short with my wife. We got the impression that we were an inconvenience to her, though our family was only one of two sets of customers present at the time. After ordering we sat outside at one of their picnic tables awaiting our order.

While waiting, a couple of our kids (with my wife) used the restroom (for customers only), which was simply disgusting: no hand soap, no toilet paper (upon our request, while one of our kids used the bathroom, the proprietor remedied this situation by delivering half a roll), no paper towels, urine on the floor, and overflowing trash bin. Our kids, the waitress, and a man who worked there (he appeared to be another owner) went in and out of the Lodge a few times, the spring-loaded door slammed each time, and the female proprietor barked “who keeps slamming the door.” When a couple of our kids walked up the stairs outside the building to see if there was seating upstairs, the female (apparent) owners snapped “No one’s allowed up stairs!” However, there was no signage to indicate that going upstairs was prohibited. This is more or less how things went until lunch was served and the service descended from discourteous to downright belligerent.

The waitress brought out the soup for two of our kids first. A while later the female proprietor came out with a couple more of our orders and went completely unhinged. I didn’t register everything she said, but it began by yelling at us that she couldn’t believe how incredibly rude we were to bring drinks into her restaurant. (In point of fact, we were outside at one of their picnic tables and had simply given the kids juice boxes.) I said the kids wanted juice boxes and my wife protested asking what we had done to offend her. At this point the woman was rolling in an all out rant, there was no reasoning with her. She said why don’t I just take the food and you get out of here, this is our restaurant, people like you don’t deserve our food. My wife attempted to protest and the woman continued her tirade and called my wife an obscenity. At this point I said, “Let’s go,” rounded up the kids and headed for our vehicle. The woman grabbed the plates, literally pulling food from a couple of our kids’ hands and stormed back to the kitchen. She continued to yell and spew obscenities at the Lodge staff and anyone else unfortunate enough to be within earshot. After loading the kids, I came back and paid (the male proprietor) for our fuel while the female proprietor was in the kitchen stewing. We then departed the establishment post haste.

Now, I can live with paying over $4.50/gallon for gas (to be precise, it was $27.50 for the minimum 6 gallons). I can even put up with dirty bathrooms, expensive burgers/grilled cheeses, and generally discourteous behavior. But, attacking my family for the infraction of giving our kids juice boxes with their, in total, roughly $70 lunch and, most egregious, using obscenities in front of our children and grabbing food from them is something I will not tolerate, nor should anyone!

So, what’s the National Park Service to do?

I understand the Park cannot choose its neighbors, however there’s no reason the Park Service should condone or even acknowledge this independent—not affiliated with the Sequoia National Forest, National Park, or Department of the Interior—establishment. Yet, this blight on Kings Canyon National Park is recognized on official Federal Government produced National Park Service maps. This does not make sense to me. In essence, the Park Service is providing a free form of advertising for this independent business.

We reported our experience to one of the rangers at the Grant’s Grove station on our way home. The ranger indicated that this business had been grandfathered access in the Sequoia National Forest and mentioned that they had been receiving these types of complaints from Park visitors for eight years. She lamented the fact they could not do anything about it because, for the most part, people did not formally write up their experience and hence the Park did not have hard evidence upon which to take action. She also mentioned that they, the rangers, were prohibited from commenting one way or another on this or any other private establishment (e.g., “This is a great place” or “That place is terrible”) to Park visitors.

This makes sense to me; government workers cannot and should not lobby for (or against) a private business in their official capacity. But, by simple extension, official government documents—e.g., Park maps—should not cite private businesses. To be fair, I’m certain this business (and others) are listed with the intent of better serving the Park visitors; specifically, there’s no gasoline service in the Park and this business provides gasoline in an area between two parts of the Kings Canyon National Park. But if this business (and any others) want to maintain this implicit partnership with the National Park Service then it is not unreasonable to expect they maintain a minimum level of quality of service of which the government would be proud to be affiliated. From our experience, the Kings Canyon Lodge fell far short of any standard the government would set.

So, in closing, I recommend either this business submit to some government oversight, quality check really, in order to maintain a listing on official National Park Service maps, or, remove this business from the map. And, I hope our experience can serve as a warning, or even better a catalyst for change in the Park Service relationship with this neighbor, such that other families do not have to suffer the same experience.

* We looked up the Kings Canyon Lodge on Yelp.com and Tripadvisor.com and found several derogatory entries. I'd recommend the Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Park consider these entries in their collective body of evidence against the Kings Canyon Lodge.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Fort Worth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

My wife and I were tired and actually thinking of staying. Even though I had little warning shivers we completed the transaction. It was at that point I asked why if she ran our card thru the cc machine she needed to write down in a book (one which did not appear to be kept in a secure location). She went ballistic on me. The highlight - when she called me an A-hole in the same sentence she professed her Christianity. I said obviously you don't want us staying here any more than we want to stay here...cancel the transaction. The man could not provide me a copy of the voided transaction. I asked for a phone number and a name of the owner in case I needed to contact my cc company (I will be tomorrow). He told me the number was on the receipt - it wasn't. He wouldn't give me a name, just said "I'm the proprietor, you have a problem?" as he got in my face. I said, "yeah, you're refusing to give me your name." Anyway, I'll have to verify tomorrow that the charges were reversed. Stay away...stay far away!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Kings Canyon Lodge? Share your experiences!