“Breathtaking views” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Geologic Formations, Hiking Trails
Activities: Hiking, Walking
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A challenging walk up 400 steps to a spectacular view.
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 attraction reviews
“Breathtaking views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Definitely worth the many many steps it takes to get up there. Amazing views from the top of the rock - but if you are afraid of heights, then rather don't do it.

Coconut Creek, Florida
3 attraction reviews
“Best View Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We visited Moro Rock on a crystal clear day. At least the top was clear. Blue-Blue sky and the bottom valley was covered in a pillow like cloud. The Great Divide Mountains were seen clearly over the clouds. A heavenly 360 degree view.
This short climb will make you huff and puff, but for me it was the greatest view I have ever seen.

CA
7 attraction reviews
“View to Remember”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Don't be scared of all the steps. It's not as bad as it looks. Just take your time. You're on vacation...What's the rush? Bring water and a camera. It's a climb you will want to remember. There are a few places to stop and catch your breath along the way.

Lancing
5 attraction reviews
“Excellent views with some effort.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Hiked here from the Museum - a moderate hike with the 400 steps to the top. Well worth it for the views, some scary drops but manageable climb with hand rails and steps carved into the rock.

Irvine, California
16 attraction reviews
“View from the top”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I had noticed Morro Rock on the National Park map and decided to stop when we arrived at that location.

We had my 88 year old father with us and had been provided a handicap parking pass upon entry to the park. I quickly found a handicap parking location, in front of the restrooms.

A quick survey of the location and Morro Rock revealed that my father would not be able to make the stair climb up the rock.

While he waited in the car I was off to to the top of the rock. I would guess if you take your time it is perhaps a twenty minute hike up the path and stairs of the rock. I did not time it going up, but coming down was much quicker.

There are frequent rest areas provided as you ascend the stairs. I took advantage of these during my climb. I was carring a camera packback and tripod. I also carried a bottle of water. The daytime temperatures in Sept. were 85+F. I also wore a hat.

Sections of the climb are very narrow, sometimes only on person may pass, either up or down. Be patient and give way to those who approach.

I found that at each of the 'rest" stops I could find a nice photo opportunity. So the camera was always handy.

When you finally reach the top of the rock it levels out with handrails for safety and to restrict you to the center portion of the rock. You can see from the inland mountains to the Pacific Ocean on a very clear day. I overheard a tour guide directing the attention of his group to the pacific coast area within our view. He also described the climbing features on the mountains in view, but I did not retain that information. Old tymers setting in.

I set up the tripod and took some photos. I took a series for a panorama also. People would move to the end of the railing area for the best overall photo image and I worked around that. As usual people, couples would ask me to take their photo with their camera for them at the location. I am always glad to do this. Tripod is the signal this guy must know what he is doing.

Well work the stop. It is a steep climb. Not for those with limitiations, poor health, breathing problems. I am sure that in the prime summer months it is also hot during the daytime climb. Stop at the rest stops, catch your breath. You are at a high altitude. Take some water, wear a hat, suncreen and enjoy the view.

This is inside a National Park so there would be the entrance fee for the park. No additional fee to visit Morro Rock.

Visited September 2012