“Amazing Location; Horrible Thanksgiving Dinner” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wuksachi Lodge

Save Saved
You added Wuksachi Lodge to your Saves list
Wuksachi Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   64740 Wuksachi Way, off Generals Highway, rte 198, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA 93262   |
Hotel deals
CA
“Amazing Location; Horrible Thanksgiving Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

I want to get the worst over with first because our trip was really fantastic. The Thanksgiving dinner was the worst I've had in 68 years of participating in Thanksgiving dinners. The menu said Julienne Carrots - there were none and when I asked, it took 20 minutes for them to cook up 4 mini-carrots, but no one else got any. The beans were nearly raw (and I like crisp veggies). But, I was really upset with the turkey: it looked liked turkey hash. There wasn't one - not one - slice of meat; it was all that left over stuff that one scoops up with a spoon. My granddaughter didn't get any white meat at all and the dark meat was crisp and dried out. Her dad gave her his one slice of white meat. My husband had stuffed tomatoes (go figure) and the pasta filling was crunchy. My grandson loved his meal - it was a plate full of brown stuff and he just poured the brown gravy over it and chowed down. I complained to two waitresses and then asked for the manager who made me feel like I was complaining without reason. After a 10 minutes conversation, he offered to comp my meal and I accepted. The bill came and the comp wasn't made - so I had to call over the manager again to fix that.

BTW, it snowed on Friday night! That was absolutely wonderful and the beautiful setting was even more amazing and awe inspiring. Of course, we had only tennis shoes - but still went on many walks, had snowball fights, did some sledding, and thoroughly enjoyed our winter wonderland. Our rooms were excellent - except the scrunchy pillows were hard to mold. I had one of the superior rooms - huge with a separate sitting room with the TV and a pull down couch. This gave us room for the entire group of 9 (in standard rooms) to play games, watch football, and eat homemade sandwiches.

Travelers should know to arrive at unfamiliar places during the daytime. This road is curvy - took an hour to go 23 miles, but it was well marked. And, I agree with some - bring your own food especially for lunches. We had an ice box and 3 bags full of sandwich things, snacks, drinks, etc. I don't agree about breakfast, though. I thought it was wonderful. For $6.95 I could have had multiple helpings of fresh fruit, oatmeal, bagels and breads, dry cereals, all sorts of pastries, yogurt, cottage cheese, juices, and coffee. And, this was the continental buffet. The hot breakfast was $12.95 and that is also inexpensive for what you got - at least in comparison to prices where I live in central California. And do make sure to make dinner reservations on busy nights especially if the children in your group can't wait until 8 to eat.

The pathway to the lodge was like walking through a beautiful forest. It actually was more like a road - not dirt and rocks. It had lights all along the way and all of our group, ages 7 to 71, loved walking out in the fresh air for two minutes - that's all it took - to get to the lodge.

Customer service is NOT a foreign word at Wuksachi (except for that restaurant manager). I had staff offering to help me walk to my room, extremely patient waiters, front desk people who answered all questions with a smile, the guy in the gift shop who described some wonderful trails suitable for kids, and "bellboys" who moved luggage for us.

Now to the Internet. This is not a generational thing because I am tied to my computer. I go into withdrawal when I can't use it at least 3 or 4 times a day. But, heaven sakes, this is a national park and one of the reasons for going to a remote place is to get a change of scenery. I laughed when I saw the main room of the lodge about 8 pm. Every chair taken and everyone with a laptop. Including me.

Finally, the location can't be beat - minutes from one of the most fantastic natural settings in California - maybe the U.S.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

The Wuksachi Lodge strikes a great balance between maintaining a wilderness experience and providing a suitable level of comfort and amenity to its residents. The relatively small, wooden accomodation blocks fit beautifully into their environment and ensure you feel like you are staying in a forest, as opposed to, say, a car park (Yosemite, I'm looking at you!).

The walk between the accomodation and the lodge proper is a little hairy at night as it is only dimly lit. We took a torch and were fine. The sight of the stars, undimmed by earthly light, justify the decision to minimise artificial lighting a million times over. Utterly stunning for a city dweller (although probably hidden behind clouds for much of the year).

Food at the lodge restaurant was excellent, although occasionally there was a bit of a wait to sit down, even with reservations. Good opportunity to socialise in the bar though.

Of course, the lodge is ideally located for the key attractions in the national park. Highly recommended, all in all.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2009

Me and my boyfriend stayed in this hotel for just one night in November. I thought it was pretty decent. Don't expect some luxury resort hotel. It's like a woodsier best western. Even in November we saw a deer walking along the road to the lodge, but i didn't see any more wildlife than lizards the next day. The Cons are that there's no internet in the rooms, but at least its available in the main lobby, the bed was kind of uncomfortable, and you really do have to walk a lot just to get around. Other people mentioned that the soap offered in the shower spells like a pine tree, it's true, so bring your own toiletries. The great thing about Wuksachi though is that it has such beautiful surroundings, from our second floor room we had a really nice view of the mountains. The food is ridiculously over-priced but at least it's good, I recommend the pasta. We paid about $40 dollars total for two people to eat only entrees at dinner. The price for our room was about $125 through a deal on hotel.com, but we went in the off season so i think that's why it wasn't too bad. All in all not too bad, I'd probably recommend it since it's so close to most things in the park.

Bratislava, Slovakia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

Beeing on a very thigh schedule, I booked Wuksachi lodge for beeing directly in the park, just a few miles from the General Sherman tree and the Giant forest. We were arriving from the LA area and had a few lessons to learn for this stay

Lesson 1 - when arriving in November, you better arrive during daylight. I had to drive up the steep and curvy road through fog which was so dense I hardly seen 2 meters of road ahead of the car. And this for some 20 kilometers. My wife was pretty scared of the ride but we made it safe after driving for more than one hour past the park entrance.

Lesson 2 - bring your own food and drinks. First of all the only place to eat is basically the restaurant in the lodge, which is a sepparate building. You have to make reservation for dinner if you want to eat. The food is obviously overpriced both for dinner and breakfast. There is no minibar in the room nor even a bottle of water. I consider it totally dumb as some people might find it difficult or be too tired to walk on a bad lighted path down to the lodge in freezing temperatures just to get a bottle of water. I can not imagine how some elderly people would do it.

Lesson 3 - if you bring your own food, get ready to eat it cold. The rooms are basically just for sleeping. There is nothing else present. There is no microwave, which I would consider very helpfull in a lodge, but apparently the managment wants you to eat at the hotel restaurant. There is a coffee maker and some tea you can have which is nice, but is way too little.

Lesson 4 - customer service is a foreign word in this place. On our 10 day trip through the US, this was the worst staff we had. While checking in, I have received a very cold and unpersonall service and had the feeling that the staff was feeling annoyed by me checking in. And they really did not had much to do when we arrived. When checking out the lady was a bit more nice, but still very far away from the friendliness and care you get at lodges in e.g. Yellowstone.

To complete the list of things we did not like was that the free internet was only avaiable in the lodge lobby. So again if you want to check your mails, you have to go down and up the badly lighted path in freezing temperatures.

Were there some good things? Well, yeah, the room itself was large and nice. The location in the middle of the park was good too. But considering all the above, i would much rather stay somewhere in Three rivers. I am quite sure I would get better service at better prices.

Canyon Country
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

Came in on a Friday. I was aware of the reservation for dinner thing because of the previous posts. The room was a deluxe room with two queen beds. The room was
very large and nicely appointed. I thought that the price was a good value for the room.
The problem we had was with the heater. When I had turned it on to take the chill off the
room it made a horrendous noise that kept us from sleeping. I turned it off and it continue somewhere else. My husband thought that it was out in the hallway. I started to think it was in the room above us or below us. It was pretty noisy. It would only last for a few minutes then stop. Then continue about 20-30 min later. We dealt with it.

dc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

The only advantage to this lodge is that it's one of only two in the park and as close as you can stay without camping to the main areas.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Sutter Creek, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2009

I was surprised to find that the Lodge itself is just gift shop, conference rooms, restaurant and front desk. The rooms themselves are more like motel rooms, off in an area away from the Lodge. While the Lodge lobby has free wifi, you have to hike from your room down there to use it. Seemed silly at night to drive to dinner, also, but the path is not well lit and as we were there in off season, not a lot of people out and about. Not what I expected from a "Lodge", like if you have been to the Awahnee or Yellowstone.
Room was nice sized with a small refrigerator, we had fortunately gone during the off season, so we only paid $89 for a king deluxe room, quite a steal for inside a National Park. While they offer bell service, the hike with luggage from the parking lot was uphill, carts were provided, however, during our stay the door to our building at the end close to the parking lot was not functioning, so that added to our walk to our room. Mind you, we had done 5 miles of hiking during the day, so we are capable folks, just surprised at the layout of the whole "village".

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Wuksachi Lodge? Share your experiences!