“They're the only place in the area, they know it, and they don't care.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Wuksachi Lodge

Save Saved
You added Wuksachi Lodge to your Saves list
Expedia.com Travelocity
Wuksachi Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   64740 Wuksachi Way, off Generals Highway, rte 198, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA 93262   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Package Deal
Redding, California
“They're the only place in the area, they know it, and they don't care.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Stayed here two nights last summer (2012). I can't say that it was an amazing hotel, but it did the job. Kinda.

The restaurant was fantastic. Excellent food, excellent service. No complaints at all there. It deserves 5 stars, but unfortunately it is at one of the worst hotels I've stayed at.

First off, the room looked fantastic when we got in. Until we saw the bathroom. It hadn't been cleaned, and it made me gag just to look at it. I won't go into detail, but it looked as if the previous guests had stayed there for a month without cleaning. We called the front desk, and they sent a guy up to clean it. He obviously wasn't hired to be a housemaid, but he did the best he could to pick up the slack that the housemaids forgot.

Second, if they assign you to room 118, tell them to switch the room to a different one. There was a loud noise coming from the vending room closet in the middle of the night that woke both of us up. It rattled the walls, it was so bad, and it happened twice in one night. We called the front desk the second time (at 3am) and talked to a guy who was stuck there to deal with all these complaints (I felt really bad for him at the end of our stay, especially since I ripped into him about the room and the bathroom earlier in the day. He was a really nice kid who was there for the summer on a missions program). He explained what was going on, and that the hotel staff was aware of the issue and were dealing with the problem. When I poked around for more information, he told me that what he stated was what he had received from hotel management, and I let the issue rest. He tried to find another room for us, but since it was summertime on a weekend, the hotel was completely booked, save for one other room, 216. He told us that it was next to the same problem system, and it wouldn't be much of a change. After apologizing all over the place, he offered us a couple meal discounts and that made my wife slightly less angry. We didn't change rooms because we were afraid to find something in the next room that wasn't cleaned.

Come to find out that the "issue" was there for quite a long time. I talked to someone in the maintenance department and they let squeak that they've been trying to figure it for a few months, and that it's a boiler issue that will probably take a whole maintenance overhaul to fix, but the management wouldn't give them the go-ahead to make it happen. I don't know if it's still there, but from what I've seen of the place, I can guess that management just doesn't give a hoot about the place.

If it wasn't for the noises from the black abyss waking us up twice each night, I would give this another star. The reality is we didn't have near enough energy to do all the stuff we wanted to do because we weren't able to get a restful night's sleep, which if the dictionary is still correct, is the basic definition of what a hotel should be able to provide. Just like the title of my review, they know that they're the only hotel in the area, and they seem to have this arrogance about them that says they don't care one bit what you think. If you don't like it, you can go somewhere else.

Next year we're going to bring our RV. It's worth the hassle after our stay here.

Room Tip: Don't chose room 118 or 126
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Will H,

We are happy to know that your experience with our restaurant was to your liking, however we are sorry to hear about your less than positive experience with us. Please note that all responses and feedback are taken very seriously and have been sent to the proper departments. We would like to be given the opportunity again to have your business, and so please contact me directly the next time you are coming up to Sequoia, and I will take care of your reservation personally.

868 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Very friendly and helpful staff. The room was very nice and clean. The price was very reasonable, considering the location. Beautiful scenery and nearby to the main attractions...General Sherman few minutes away. The only downfall is the restaurant...dinner is overpriced and breakfast service was very poor. We had to wait a long time to receive silverware after we had our food on our table. Be sure to arrive early because when we got there they seemed to be cleaning out and were preparing to close the dining room early. Their "market" has very little selection, I will bring own food next time we come.

Room Tip: Recommend you bring food, snacks , and water with you.There is nowhere else to buy any food only the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Martha C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay. We appreciate all feedback and will do our best to make the necessary changes to the areas mentioned. We are pleased that overall you did enjoy your stay with us, and look forward to having you with us again.

Council Bluffs, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed 2 nights to see the sequoias, and it was the perfect spot. The rooms were quite nice, although it is a distance from the parking lot. The room wasn't fancy but more than adequate. The restaurant was nice but expensive for the quality.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Cynthia0104,

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for giving us such wonderful feedback. We do enjoy hearing when one of guest's have such a pleasant stay. We look forward to heaving you stay with us again, and if there is anything we can do for you, or plan on booking again with us please contact me directly.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed this place! Our room was lovely and very clean. The furnishings were a little tired, but our room was big, clean, and reasonably priced. The layout of the buildings is a bit strange - the 3 buildings that contain the rooms are separate from the lobby/restaurant building, and you have to walk down a path to get there. The location is great for seeing Sequoia, though you are going to drive a lot in this park. The restaurant was a little pricey, but the food was quite good. We ate several meals here and nothing was bad. All in all, a beautiful and relaxing place to stay.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Elpasomom,

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts about your recent stay. We always appreciate to hear from our guests to know what we are doing well and what needs improvement. We do hope that we have the opportunity to have you as our guest in the future. If you would like to contact me directly for future bookings please feel free.

Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

The rooms were very nice, and the price unusually reasonable for lodging in the center of a national park in the middle of nowhere. There's no cell service anywhere around here, but the wifi worked well. Great location for accessing areas of the park. Check-in and check-out were a little slow, but no complaints otherwise.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
los angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Wuksachi is odd. In some ways I do agree with other reviewers-I do think the management feel there is a captive audience hence little effort is made to make the experience extra ordinary. I got a Travelzoo deal and it prompted me to stay here. You are paying for the location and the location is superb. But NONE of the buildings, guest rooms or lodge, take advantage of the location. The set up and building arrangement is terrible. I arrived on a day their computers were down. Arriving about 3:30 you would think they would have tried to get people started early. But I was told they don't check in till 4. So they had a long line of people waiting while they wrote everything by hand. The rooms are old, tired, dark and grotty. The "mountain view" rooms overlook the parking lot. I opted for the tree view as I didn't want to see, and hear, people getting in and out of their vehicles. There was mold in the bathroom and cobwebs in the corners of the rooms by the door. One of my pillows had seen better days and smelled of mold so strongly is stayed on my hand. I left it on the floor with a note saying it should probably be thrown out. I hope it was and not just moved to another room. I also had some rather ugly stains on my pillowcases. They were obviously clean but you would think they would have tossed something that looked like that. Also, the front doors are left unlocked to the individual dorm style quarters so anyone can come in and out of the buildings. I found this unsettling. Why have a card reader there if it isn't used. Part of the reason I opted to stay there was safety as I was on my own. I felt vulnerable with the doors not being locked. Especially since the quest rooms are not attached to the lodge. The lodge isn't very inviting. As others had said there is really no place to congregate and no fire in the main room. It kind of looks cheap and cold as well. I purposely booked dinner there the night I arrived and asked to sit by the fire as I was on my own and studying. I imagined the fire would provide light and heat on a cold night (there is still snow on the ground). I arrived to find it unlit. The waiter told me they only light it when it is VERY cold as it makes the waitstaff uncomfortable/overheated. Um, it wasn't that busy so they weren't running around nor was it very warm. Sounds like laziness to me. From the sound of the laughter coming from the kitchen they seem to be having a good time tho!! I don't eat meat and my waiter was actually really great about my ordering side dishes as my main. The soup was delicious (potato) and the veggies were great but skip the organic wild rice as it is truly tasteless-no seasoning at all. I didn't go back the next night as I found the dinner experience uninviting. And for the cost, not worth it. That being said my Travelzoo deal included 2 box lunches a day. The normal charge for a box lunch is 12.95. It was a basic sandwich, a apple, a cookie packaged in plastic or a nature valley granola bar, a bag of sun chips and a bottle of water. Personally, had it not been included I would have not gotten it. Again, it felt like they knew that food was at a premium and people should take what they get and be glad for it! Also, the shop that is advertised isn't really a shop. Its a room that needs to be unlocked it you want anything. I went looking for milk since the coffee in room only came with powdered creamers. They had 8 pints of milk that were all set to expire the next day! I took the one and only soy milk they had!

If you are willing to pay a premium for the advantage of being literally a 5 min ride to Lodgepole, a 10 minute ride to General Sherman and a 15 min ride to Giant Forest this place is totally worth it! That is the one and ONLY reason to stay here. I did find the subordinate staff friendly and willing to try and help when needed. I left the maid a tip both days and found a thank you note and a fancy towel decoration in my room along with lots of tea (I asked for some more!) I really wish I could say more positives but I think next time I am going to try John Muir. I headed up to Grants Grove Village and had a look around there. The energy was decidedly much more friendly and inviting. The desk manager there even wrote down the name of a alternate small hotel right outside the gates that would let me bring my dog. The restaurant looked better and the same lady did me a great Latte! Peace!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
J David H, Manager at Wuksachi Lodge, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear AveburyL,

Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback about your stay. We want to apologize about the issues you mentioned and please know that we will be doing all we can to fix it. We would like to have the opportunity to have you as our guest again, so please feel free cont act me directly for booking your next reservation.

Thanks Again,

Travelers are raving about these Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels

Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

We had a good size room with a king bed, nice chair and sofa. Pictures here are accurate. Rooms are plain, but comfy with coffee maker and refrigerator. Dining room is nice and pricey, but food nearly matches the price. Need to be prepared to walk. Dining is 200yards from rooms. Rooms are over 100 feet from parking. Scenery is terrific. Location in woods with views of high peaks. Combined price of dinner and room is good for what you get.

Stayed March 2013

Been to Wuksachi Lodge? Share your experiences!