“Excellent lodging, reasonable price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wuksachi Lodge

Bookmark
You added Wuksachi Lodge to your Saves list
Wuksachi Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   64740 Wuksachi Way, off Generals Highway, rte 198, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA 93262   |
Hotel deals
Minnesota
“Excellent lodging, reasonable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

The rooms were very nice, and the price unusually reasonable for lodging in the center of a national park in the middle of nowhere. There's no cell service anywhere around here, but the wifi worked well. Great location for accessing areas of the park. Check-in and check-out were a little slow, but no complaints otherwise.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
los angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Wuksachi is odd. In some ways I do agree with other reviewers-I do think the management feel there is a captive audience hence little effort is made to make the experience extra ordinary. I got a Travelzoo deal and it prompted me to stay here. You are paying for the location and the location is superb. But NONE of the buildings, guest rooms or lodge, take advantage of the location. The set up and building arrangement is terrible. I arrived on a day their computers were down. Arriving about 3:30 you would think they would have tried to get people started early. But I was told they don't check in till 4. So they had a long line of people waiting while they wrote everything by hand. The rooms are old, tired, dark and grotty. The "mountain view" rooms overlook the parking lot. I opted for the tree view as I didn't want to see, and hear, people getting in and out of their vehicles. There was mold in the bathroom and cobwebs in the corners of the rooms by the door. One of my pillows had seen better days and smelled of mold so strongly is stayed on my hand. I left it on the floor with a note saying it should probably be thrown out. I hope it was and not just moved to another room. I also had some rather ugly stains on my pillowcases. They were obviously clean but you would think they would have tossed something that looked like that. Also, the front doors are left unlocked to the individual dorm style quarters so anyone can come in and out of the buildings. I found this unsettling. Why have a card reader there if it isn't used. Part of the reason I opted to stay there was safety as I was on my own. I felt vulnerable with the doors not being locked. Especially since the quest rooms are not attached to the lodge. The lodge isn't very inviting. As others had said there is really no place to congregate and no fire in the main room. It kind of looks cheap and cold as well. I purposely booked dinner there the night I arrived and asked to sit by the fire as I was on my own and studying. I imagined the fire would provide light and heat on a cold night (there is still snow on the ground). I arrived to find it unlit. The waiter told me they only light it when it is VERY cold as it makes the waitstaff uncomfortable/overheated. Um, it wasn't that busy so they weren't running around nor was it very warm. Sounds like laziness to me. From the sound of the laughter coming from the kitchen they seem to be having a good time tho!! I don't eat meat and my waiter was actually really great about my ordering side dishes as my main. The soup was delicious (potato) and the veggies were great but skip the organic wild rice as it is truly tasteless-no seasoning at all. I didn't go back the next night as I found the dinner experience uninviting. And for the cost, not worth it. That being said my Travelzoo deal included 2 box lunches a day. The normal charge for a box lunch is 12.95. It was a basic sandwich, a apple, a cookie packaged in plastic or a nature valley granola bar, a bag of sun chips and a bottle of water. Personally, had it not been included I would have not gotten it. Again, it felt like they knew that food was at a premium and people should take what they get and be glad for it! Also, the shop that is advertised isn't really a shop. Its a room that needs to be unlocked it you want anything. I went looking for milk since the coffee in room only came with powdered creamers. They had 8 pints of milk that were all set to expire the next day! I took the one and only soy milk they had!

If you are willing to pay a premium for the advantage of being literally a 5 min ride to Lodgepole, a 10 minute ride to General Sherman and a 15 min ride to Giant Forest this place is totally worth it! That is the one and ONLY reason to stay here. I did find the subordinate staff friendly and willing to try and help when needed. I left the maid a tip both days and found a thank you note and a fancy towel decoration in my room along with lots of tea (I asked for some more!) I really wish I could say more positives but I think next time I am going to try John Muir. I headed up to Grants Grove Village and had a look around there. The energy was decidedly much more friendly and inviting. The desk manager there even wrote down the name of a alternate small hotel right outside the gates that would let me bring my dog. The restaurant looked better and the same lady did me a great Latte! Peace!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
J David H, Manager at Wuksachi Lodge, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear AveburyL,

Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback about your stay. We want to apologize about the issues you mentioned and please know that we will be doing all we can to fix it. We would like to have the opportunity to have you as our guest again, so please feel free cont act me directly for booking your next reservation.

Thanks Again,
J David Hauswirth, Rooms Division Manager
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

We had a good size room with a king bed, nice chair and sofa. Pictures here are accurate. Rooms are plain, but comfy with coffee maker and refrigerator. Dining room is nice and pricey, but food nearly matches the price. Need to be prepared to walk. Dining is 200yards from rooms. Rooms are over 100 feet from parking. Scenery is terrific. Location in woods with views of high peaks. Combined price of dinner and room is good for what you get.

Stayed March 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Staff are very friendly. But the main point of staying here is to be in the middle of the forest, the views are amazing and its so handy for exploring Sequoia National Park!
But the restaurant prices are extortionate - a salad for $10, and its a really small salad, a burger for $18! They even charge you $5 for having a 2nd plate and sharing - appalling! There's not even a microwave in your room so you can't do yourself some food in the room, so you don't really have much option - they're not stupid are they.... This would put me off coming back.
Tip: bring some cereal, milk, bread and sandwich filling and do your own breakfast and lunches (because you'll need all your money for an evening meal!)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

...and amazingly fresh air.
The first thing you feel when arriving to Wuksachi is the incredible smell of the mountains and the vegetation. It's so quiet and peacful there.

Extremely friendly and helpful staff.
Rooms are quite large and comfortable.
It's not luxury, but as of the national parks locations, pretty good living space.
Immaculately clean.

Food in the restaurant (in the main building) very tasty and service very attentive.
We felt there as real guests in the mountain lodge.
Only the ski/snowshoeas rental staff a little grumpy...
Will definitely come back again.

Room Tip: There are three buildings with guest rooms and the main building has got only resturant. Make sure y...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Buenos Aires
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is one lodge I hope to return to some day. The place is wonderful in the middle of the park. It has a main building with facilities and shop, then the room buildings. The restaurant is excellent, the service is very good, the whole construction is lovely. We went in after a snowy cold day in the park, which has little facilities and this place was a little paradise. The rooms are big and clean and warm and confy. The views are so pretty! The trees and the snow outside .. such a beauty. We had the best of times, and a great rest before moving into the parks again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Room was clean and comfortable, friendly staff, excellent breakfast buffet. Best thing is the location. Some wonderful places to explore, and those trees are just fantastic to be around. Spotted a few bears too which was fun. Very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Wuksachi Lodge? Share your experiences!