“Friendly staff, rundown accomodations” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wuksachi Lodge

Save Saved
You added Wuksachi Lodge to your Saves list
Wuksachi Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   64740 Wuksachi Way, off Generals Highway, rte 198, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA 93262   |
Hotel deals
Auburn, California
“Friendly staff, rundown accomodations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My wife booked a room at Wuksachi as a present for our 21st anniversary. We were married in Sequoia NP, and it's still a special place for us. We've periodically driven into the Wuksachi lodge over the years to look it over, but the room rates have always been far above what we want to pay. This was a one-time splurge, and frankly, it was not something that we'll ever do here again. The staff of the lodge were all very friendly and courteous, and all of our needs and requests were filled promptly and accurately. The facilities, especially the actual rooms, however, left quite a bit to be desired. We stayed in the Silliman building, and the general appearance is run down and just a bit on the shabby side. The bed was made in about 1930, and is sorely in need of an upgrade. The bedding appeared to be of similar vintage. There was a noise that was similar to a pump or electric motor starting up that occurred about every 5 minutes, and that made sleep fitful at best. We used the heater one evening, and it made enough noise to wake the dead. We expected better for what we spent.

We ate dinner at the Peaks Restaurant, which is part of the lodge. The prices are sky-high, and while the food was good, it did not represent value for the money spent. They kind of have you by the short hairs, though, as the next dining available was in Grant Grove, a drive of 25 miles to the North. That's not really a nice option on icy mountain roads after dark.

While we did have a nice weekend in Sequoia NP, we were disappointed in the overall experience at Wuksachi. We've been camping in the parks since 1991, and it looks like we'll go back to that.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Templeton, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Booked this room for my husbands birthday. All he wanted was to go to the snow and that's what he got. The room was nice, we were overall very pleased. We got the deluxe room with a king bed. The room was roomy and clean. Our view from the room was like a winter wonderland, every morning we woke up it was like a dream. The floors in the hallways sounded hollow and had an echo. The heater is very powerful, so powerful it made the air hard to breathe after a while. The staff was very helpful, especially Michelle(think that was her name:)) at the front desk. She was very accommodating and we had a great, relaxing time at the Wuksachi!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Don't think this hotel is a honeymoon destination but if you're there to see the trees it works great.
Seems like a trip with 'the guys' would be good at this place.
A little rundown. A little unclean in places.
Beware of the bottom floor of the guest buildings. We had a nice big tree right in front of our window. Not much of a view.
Staff is adequate but not totally on top of everything. At checkout it took three people to explain some extra charges on my bill.
Internet in main building is very very slow. (Again, not there for the internet but... it is).
Restaurant was actually pretty good.
Rental shop downstairs was very helpful. Rented some snowshoes- was given a little extra time since I rented them late in the day.
Overall, room and food is pretty pricey for what you're getting. Guess they're charging for being the only lodging for miles.
Location is VERY good for getting to places in Sequoia.
Because of the location and relative connivence I would stay there again. I think I got the 'deluxe' room- next time I'd get just the standard and save the money- not worth it.

Room Tip: You're there to sleep and eat. Just get a standard room. If you are looking for a view- don...
Tulare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

My family and I tried an overnite trip. It's only 2 hrs from home. Lodge and surrounding area was great. Lots of snow this trip. The area is well maintained and rooms were comfortable and spacious. Decor welcoming. Beds comfortable. You are also close enought to walk over the restaurant/store. This is great for us because it is so close to home for a quick getaway. Everyone was friendly and helpful. We also enjoyed meeting many of the other guests from other countries. I would definitely stay at this lodge again.

San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

There aren't too many choices of places to stay during the wintery months in Sequoia National Park. The lodge itself is a nice building; rustic lobby and a warm fire. The rooms are not in this building, but in buildings a short drive away! The check-in was long (there was only one overworked young lady at the front desk at the 4pm check-in time) but pleasant. Our room was fairly spacious, but almost stark. The bed was an eastern king and rather worn. We had everything for a comfortable stay, but nothing plush about this room. I don't have photos to share, but the pics here are accurate. We didn't dislike our room, but weren't overly impressed. That being said, we would probably stay here again.
We walked back to the lodge in the evening for dinner (the only place to go to eat!) and had a pleasant experience in their dining room; the service was quite good. Glad we made reservations when we checked into our room earlier.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Norton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

At 7,000 feet above sea level, it took a while to get there but there was much to see along the way. The scenery and the massive sequoias are enough to take your breath away, and to be able to stay in a lodge amongst all of it was amazing. Our room was very basic, what you would expect for a lodge. As we walked to our building from the parking lot we came upon 3 deer grazing in the brush. This is a good home-base if you're there for the hiking, etc. If it's a pampering you're looking for, choose someplace else. We had dinner (without reservations) and thought it pricy, though of very good quality.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SF Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My hubby and I have been going to the Wuksachi since it opened. Happily it has remained in good condition. It could easily have fallen into disrepair as it is a Delaware North concessionaire-run facility in a national park. However, it's been kept up well. We had a Superior room with a King Bed and two sofa beds - one in an alcove with the TV, dresser unit, fridge and armchair. Turns out the sofa bed in the alcove was subpar and my sister-in-law was severely uncomfortable in it. Last year, the sofa bed in our Deluxe Room was just fine. That sofa bed and the one next to the king in the main bedroom looked to be the same - but we wanted to spread out more, so we got the twin rollaway instead and put it in the alcove. Problem solved.

The fridge was unplugged when we got there, but it made up for it by freezing all our food by the second day. I ended up loving frozen greek yogurt for breakfast. With hot coffee (we brought our own hot pot and Starbucks VIA packets), we had a lovely in-room breakfast. I eat too much at restaurant breakfasts...

The shower was blessedly strong and hot.

Our top-floor room was hot. We turned the thermostat OFF. Click OFF, OFF! And it was too hot at night for us, and we'd toss our covers off. Better than being cold, I guess! It was winter and there was snow outside! The thermostat read 68 degrees(not sure how accurate), and admittedly, the three of us like to have cold air to breathe while snuggled in our warm beds. I had to go to the bathroom one night and cool my feet on the tile. Strange - but a minor gripe for an otherwise fabulous stay!

Service was excellent and the room was tidied nicely every day. It was clean (very important to me) and comfortable. I personally would prefer more usable-at-night to sleep with pillows, but for sitting up, the decorative pillows did the job.

The toilet paper and kleenex are the "recycled" variety, I think, and are relatively harsh for my taste. The body wash and shampoo are in a dispenser in the shower and I find them a bit harsh. I prefer the formulas in Yosemite. Conditioner is provided in little bottles, and it was okay, though a bit sweet smelling to me. I often bring my own toiletries. The "face" soap which we use for washing hands is fine. Plenty of clean towels. Recycling and garbage cans in room are small, but adequate.

I had kippered snacks as a treat and rinsed my can out and threw it in the trash can that is on the main floor of the building. Handy.

The walk to the dining room in the main lodge building is about 5 minutes.

The main lodge building had the snack shop downstairs in the winter where they also rent snowshoes and poles, etc. A bottle of lowfat chocolate milk there was only $0.99. I found out the kippered herring can was fabulous on some bread after a long day of snowshoeing! Thumbs up on that salty snack! :) Many other snacks to be found as well! Something for everyone! :) Trouble: hours were 10 am to 6 PM. I wish they opened earlier - before we took off in the morning, but at least they were open to 6 PM. If i had to have one end of the day, 6 PM would be better, I guess.

We adore the hotel and the park in winter and hope that the rumors that DNC wants to close it during winter are just that - rumors - and that the National Park Service will not let this happen.

Room Tip: Haven't really had a bad room yet. You can pick main floor or go up or down stairs. You are eith...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Wuksachi Lodge? Share your experiences!