“Expensive - but the only place to stay in Sequoia” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wuksachi Lodge

Save Saved
You added Wuksachi Lodge to your Saves list
Wuksachi Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   64740 Wuksachi Way, off Generals Highway, rte 198, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA 93262   |
Hotel deals
Doha, Qatar
“Expensive - but the only place to stay in Sequoia”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2008

Sequoia is great and a fabulous place to visit. The Wuksachi Logde is rather expensive for the comfort that it offers. The rooms reminded us of youth hostel but they clean. The location is excellent.

• Stayed December 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Visalia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2008

We just spent an enjoyable time in Sequoia-Kings National Park. We spent a night at Wuksachi Lodge. (This is our third time to stay there.) There were 4 of us, Mom, Dad, 19 year old and 10 year old in a "deluxe" room - 2 queen beds. The delux at Wuksachi isn't extremely large, but does have a bit more room than their "standard" room, which we've stayed in in the past. All the rooms have a small refrigerator. You MUST make dinner reservations or you may go hungry. (You can make them several days in advance by calling the front desk.) In the winter, Wuksachi is the only place to eat dinner within about a 1.5 hour drive. (If the main road is well plowed there is apparently another lodge about 30 minutes away. We've never been there.) This is a national park so there are no fast food places or other resturants. Wuksachi dining room is somewhat small so they only seat you for dinner if you have a reservation. The dining room is moderately expensive. Least expensive dinner item is about $9.00, going up to around $40.00. They do have good food, but portions are not large. If you don't have a reservation, get food to bring up with you. However, you will need to store all your food in your room. The potential bear problem means your car can be broken into if the bears smell food. (They aren't out in the winter, so a non-issue this time of year.) The staff is very pleasant and our room was clean. The place has sort of an up-scale lodge feel. Front desk has board games, people hang by the wood stove after dinner etc. The "ski-shop" downstairs is tiny, but adequate if you just want some X-country skis or snow-shoes for the day. They are also fairly knowldegeable about appropriate ski, shoeing or snow play areas near by. I'm sure we will be back.

Stayed February 2008
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2008

We just turned up and got the breakfast/room deal, $118. We stayed one night. We had 2 queen beds in the room, very comfy. Loved the table and chairs (they looked like real logs). Cute. Our outlook was the forest. Very quiet. We had to drive to dinner and breakfast as it is a bit of a hike, and could fall over at night in the dark. This place is beautiful, you are in the forest.

The main lodge has check in, gift shop, convenience store (downstairs/reasonable prices) and the restaurant. We had dinner at the restaurant, nice food but pricey. Then the breakfast (part of the package deal). Very nice, lots of choice buffet, that had it all. Would definetly stay here again.

We saw deer in the morning near the lodge and a black bear when we were coming up the mountain, we stopped next to it, very close. (in the car). Saw 2 squirrels too in the forest.

We visited the General Sherman trees, awesome. Also went up to Beetle Rock, which is a granite rock with an awesome view of the valley. Stopped at Sequoia post office to send postcards, the guy that runs it is very friendly. (The other shops there were closed as it was low season).

We did Grants Grove and stopped at the convenience store for drinks and snacks, they don't really supply meals. They have a post office there too.

We also visited Cat Haven. They have rescued big cats, an animal sanctuary. Worth a visit if you like big cats. Interesting.
They have a website, just google cathaven.

• Liked — Beautiful lodge and surroundings
  • Disliked — They tried to charge us again for breakfast even though we had paid for the bed and breakfast package.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
Waterloo, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2008

The lodge in beautiful.

The only problem I can see is getting to your room. It is set back away from the lodge and you have to carry your luggage around a lot. I almost fell due to a lack of lighting on the steps. I told this to the office.

My wife and I choose a basic room - decent and newer. I did peek into a room designed for a few more people. It looked nice too, lots of room.

• Liked — Location - bears were in the parking lot
  • Disliked — Had to haul my luggage around a lot and the steps wern't well lit
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Corona del Mar, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2008

In all honesty, I have a hard time trusting travel websites... especially when it comes down to selecting the proper hotel. When I was looking up hotels I came across many Inns & Motels (none of which I was particularily fond of...), I narrowed my search for hotels/ lodging inside of the Sequoia National Forest. This is when I hit the jackpot. The #1 that came up was Wuksachi Lodge, I checked for property pictures and liked what I saw. My boyfriend and I booked the room for a very low price (thanks to AAA) on Wednesday... gathered the remaining gear and necessities on Friday night. We woke up bright and early on saturday morning and arrived in the Sequoias by noon. (Sequoia entrance fee was $20 for a day, and only $30 for annual pass!!) We took our time going up Generals Hwy, even caught a glance at a mongoose cross our path. As soon as we arrived we were greeted by a warm lobby and a friendly check-in (whom also suggested we make dinner reservations, as well as making a trip to the Alta rental shop downstairs from the lobby. And renting snowshoes for half a day gave us a five hour rental! High five! We took a 4 hour hike right behind our room, took wonderful snowy pictures and enjoyed the warm spirited guests whom we rarely ran into. After our hike we came back to the room showered and rested for our dinner reservations. I highly recommend the filet mignon, but instead of the blue cheese chipotle sauce that it comes with... I recommend the cabernet-shallot butter. Oh man. What a steak! I also went with the recommended wine pairing... which I wasn't too crazy about - it was some red zin, I think I would've liked something something a bit more spicy and bold. Anyway, My boyfriend packed away the Cowboy... a 16 oz., no babies allowed, Char-Grilled Ribeye. He took a recommendation on a huge English beer. I don't remember the name, mainly because I couldn't put the fork down. Dinner was definitely where we splurged, but it was worth every penny! Later that evening we glanced at the twinkling stars, when back to our room which was a comfortably heated 78 degrees. And fell asleep. Wink! Woke up at about 8 a.m. for our drive back home... For a one day trip or a week-long trip we will be coming back to Wukasachi, especially since we picked up an annual pass to the park! xoxo

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Late Check in 4pm... but the staff let us check in much earlier than that!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
New Ulm, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2008

We stayed at this lodge December 28th and 29th. The main lodge is great with lots of sitting and lounging room and wireless internet. We bought groceries in Three Rivers which is the last town outside of the park and ate breakfast and lunch in our room. We had dinner each night at the lodge and it was really good! The location is fantastic and close to all the major trails and attractions. Some of the negatives were that the parking is far away from the rooms so you have to carry your luggage up a icy long path which was really irritating. Also the rooms themselves were not as nice as I expected for the price and the beds are really uncomfortable.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2007

Drove up from LA so the kids (4 and 7) could play in snow for the first time. Took 6 hours with stops for lunch and tire chain installation. A staff member from Wuksachi helps install tire chains at the snow line, but only on Friday and Saturday. We arrived on Thursday so I had to install the chains myself- luckily I had practiced at home so it didn't take long. Driving up through the snow covered sequoias was beautiful.

We paid $204 a night for a deluxe room, which is the rack rate. I assume it was high because it was the week after Xmas. The next weekend we could have had the same room for $69 with AAA but we had to go the weekend we did. Check in was a breeze and the staff is very helpful. Parking isn't too far from room and they have bellman carts for use which made moving in luggage easy (although a little slick in the ice). We were there the weekend after Xmas so the place was full- they didn't seem to have the bell staff to handle such a large group (took a few hours to get extra pillows). Our deluxe room was clean and spacious with a TV, large fridge, and pull-out couch. Our one major complaint- the mattresses are very soft and uncomfortable (on both the bed and sofabed). My wife and I both left with sore backs. Even my kids complained. Bring an air mattress for sofabed if you have one.

We brought food for breakfast and lunch and ate two dinners and a breakfast in the restaurant. The food was good and the wait staff friendly. Breakfast was continental-style, typical restaurant food (bagel, muffins, cereal), with a hot food upcharge for eggs, bacon, pancakes, and sausage. Dinner was good with entrees ranging from $20-$40. Fine dining is great, but my second night I was really craving a good burger or sandwich and they have no such things on the menu - missed the option of comfort food after long day in snow.

Wolverton snow play area is fantastic- beautiful and plenty of room for everyone to sled down big hill. Big sequoia trees are amazing. We plan to come back next year and play some more.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Soft Mattresses
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Wuksachi Lodge? Share your experiences!