“challenging but really worth it” 5 of 5 stars

Sky Pond
Petit Grepon, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Located at the bottom of Colorado's Petit Grepon.
nc
14 attraction reviews
“challenging but really worth it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

we got an early 6am start on this hike on a clear, sunny summer day. perfect weather. it was a long, steep hike and I was glad that I could keep up with my husband and teenage son. a great memory.

33 attraction reviews
“Challenge Accepted!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

This hike is challenging, steep, and gets up to almost 11,000 ft. It's not your casual stroll in the mountains. We went around October 20th and it got pretty cold that high up. Before the frozen waterfall, there was a really steep, slick slope, which I'm assuming had steps that were completely frozen over. It got a little sketchy at times. It was really windy and icy, and the last climb up a frozen waterfall was a little scary. It's one of those hikes that I could have decided not to finish, but am incredibly glad I stuck it out! The view was outstanding from Sky Pond. You don't have to be a super athlete to finish this, but you do have to have some fitness, determination, and guts. That was a good day, a very good day.

Visited December 2012
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Challenging Hike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This trail is terrific. The view from the base of Timberline Falls would be reward enough. The Loch and Alberta falls on the way are also nice. The climb up the falls is challenging, and I would not recommend it for anyone not in decent shape. Sky Pond was amazing. It brought back memories of Iceberg Lake in Glacier National Park. I left at 5:45am and didn't see a soul until descending which was really nice as there were probably over 300 people on the trail on my way down. (Not that they all made it to the pond.)

Visited August 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
18 attraction reviews
“Checking One Off My Bucket List!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I've been coming to the YMCA of the Rockies and RMNP since I was 30. I'm now 70+. For some reason I'd never made it to Sky Pond. I got to Timberline Falls once when I was 60 but I'd hiked with just one person I met on the trail and didn't feel safe doing the "stairs" to Lake of Glass and Sky Pond. This time I was determined to get there so, with my daughter and son-in-law and a great niece I signed up for a YMCA guided trip. I'd avoided them in the past because I thought I enjoyed the solitude, but the encouragement I got from the hike master and my fellow hikers (14 in all) was wonderful. Even the younger set agreed. Solitude is overrated!

Even for younger folks, I'd strongly suggest not trying this hike alone. We took a couple of "shortcuts" on horse and fire trails to shave a little bit off the distance. More important was the fact that someone was ahead of and behind me on the climb up the stairs to point out handholds and suggest foot placement. It gave me the confidence I needed to finish what I'd started, and it was so worth it! (It also meant I was with a hike master who was carrying a roll of duct tape which was mighty useful when the soles of both my old hiking boots started to come off on the downhill hike!)

The view of Lake of Glass at the top of the falls would have been enough, but just 4/10 of a mile and a few more stairs to climb, the views at Sky Pond were absolutely stunning. I have never hiked a summit trail at RMNP, preferring the lakes as my end points, so I can't compare this with that experience. Long ago I hiked to Chasm Lake at the foot of the east face of Longs Peak and for me, NOTHING will ever compare to that vista, but darn, for a 70+ year old, Sky Pond comes awfully close!

17 attraction reviews
“A great hike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was my first time there and it was well worth the hike and scramble up Timberline Falls. Be sure to start early since storms roll in quickly. Take rain gear and plenty of water. It's an 8.5 mile hike with several sections of "stairs" so be prepared. Can't wait to go back with my son once he is a little older and able to handle a more strenuous hike.