“Totally worth it!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Bodies of Water
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Located at the bottom of Colorado's Petit Grepon.
Austin, Texas
12 attraction reviews
“Totally worth it!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Going here was like getting to be in paradise for a little bit! The day we went was sunny and beautiful. Being from Texas the altitude was sort of getting to me, and the fact that I am not in the greatest shape in the world, BUT I made it to Sky Pond. We started out at the Glacier Gorge Trailhead and did the trip in six and a half hours round trip. That included having our picnic lunch, taking a ton of pictures, and my stopping to rest A LOT. The climb up the side of waterfall did somewhat scare me because I was climbing in tennis shoes (not the best idea) and climbing on wet rocks was scary (to me). When we got to the top what we at first thought was Sky Pond was actually Lake of Glass. You have to walk BEHIND this and past the other rocks to reach Sky Pond. Totally worth it. I felt like I actually EARNED getting to see this. It is something I will always remember and be proud that I did. Make sure to pack water, snacks and food if you want lunch. There are no bathrooms past the trailhead so either go before you start the hike, or find a secluded spot if you have to go. The people we talked to on the trails were super nice. It was a great day!

Visited September 2012

Lubbock, Texas
11 attraction reviews
“When you've reached sky pond, its like you're the only person in the world at that moment!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

It is so secluded from everything else, it really is like you are the only person in the world. We got past the snow that went up to our waist and up the waterfall. Te marmots were everywhere. They let us get really close to take their pics. Make sure you take alot of water. We ran out on the way back down. If possible go past sky pond. We did not and I regret it. Guess I'll have to go back real soon! A truly exhilarating experience! We luved it!

Denver, Colorado
7 attraction reviews
“Awesome hike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

The hike to Sky Pond is 9.8 miles round trip, with about 1600 ft elevation gain from the Glacier gorge trail head. The road to bear lake is under construction, so you will need to take the shuttle from the Beaver Meadow visitor center, or from town. You will reach Alberta Falls after 1 mile. The trail eventually follows a beautiful stream, and you climb a short waterfall towards the end of the hike just before sky pond (no special equipment needed). Takes about 3 hours to get up, and two hours down. This was the best hike I have done in Rocky Mountain National Park.

Visited June 2012
Denver
“Majestic Beauty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2006

A trail hike that is worth the extra effort! The forest service had done an amazing job of creating a superior walking trail for park visitors. However, the last hundred yards you are on your own as the trail turns steep...but it is worth every step. The lake is a crystal clear reflection of the sky above, while granite walls surround you on the left and spires sweeping across to the right - it is awesome! Not for the faint of heart - this trail will require endurance , and possibly a poncho. Be prepared, and be ready for some spetacular views!