“Accessability to the Mtn. awesome.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Paradise Inn at Mount Rainier

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Rainier National Park
Paradise Inn at Mount Rainier
You added Paradise Inn at Mount Rainier to your Saves list
1.5 of 5 Inn   |   Mt Rainier National Park, Mount Rainier National Park, WA 98398   |
Georgia
“Accessability to the Mtn. awesome.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

I stayed three days at Paradise Inn. Was awestruck by the beauty of the 360' vew of the mtns. and of Mt. Ranier. I hiked up and down the mtn. and was totally mesmorized by its beauty. Although, the flowers were not all blooming, I could just imagine how wonderful it would be soon when they all were in their full glory. The room was cramped, noisy and without a bathroom which was of our choosing. The restaurant was pricey, very pricey with limited menu. Breakfast bar was the best meal of the day. But, all in all, I would definitely stay here again, not for a good, comfortable night's sleep without noise, etc., but for the view and just being close to Mt. Ranier. I took some beautiful photos, wish you could see them.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

The Paradise Inn is the absolute worst national park inn I've stayed in. Other experiences have been at Yellowstone and Yosemite National Parks.

Check-in and check-out were smooth.

Lost two nights of sleep at the Paradise Inn. We stayed in a room without a bath which is fine for us, we can manage with a shared bath. Had to walk our suitcases up one flight of stairs (no elevator). No problem, but good for people to know who might care about those things.

There was a sink, bed, dresser, closet (no doors, a few hangers), towels, a few hooks for hanging things in the room, robes and slippers tucked away in the dresser (found them the day we were leaving), soap, and small bottles of bath product.

The beds at Paradise Inn are full-size or smaller, lumpy and soft. We sleep in a full-size bed at home, and I stretched out my arms side-to-side on the bed at the inn and our bed at home, and the one at the inn was smaller. I'm not sure how this is possible since I thought bed sizes were standardized. The bed might be fine for 1 person, but for 2 people it was miserable. One of us is over 6' tall.

I haven't slept in a bed this uncomfortable in years, and I travel 6-7 times a year. Paradise Inn's beds need to be upgraded.

The walls of the rooms are thin and you can hear what your next door neighbors are saying. I heard mine sneeze, cough and snore and well, you get the picture.

Tried to sleep in and catch some zzzzs in the morning after my partner got up to go hiking after night 1, but could not. Housecleaning services start fairly early (8 or 9am) including vacuuming which you would swear was happening right in your own room.

Paid $25 for two deli sandwiches, a small container of milk, and a bottle of Gatorade at the snack bar in the visitor center. They have a brand new visitor center which is very nice.

Paid $50 for their Sunday brunch for two, and it is buffet style. Scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, very ordinary fare. The rolls and desserts were way too sweet. The blintzes and waffles were inedible because they were loaded with sugar. I think that they make the waffles with cake batter because they just crumbled, very thin. Dried out chicken. The saddest plate of lox that no one was eating. An amateur display of fruit. Garden pea salad and potato salad.

Dining room service was spotty, and meal delivery was not executed well from the kitchen. Entrees appeared right after appetizers. Waited on beverages. You have to ask for water, but we had to wait and remind and ask a second time.

Paid $6 or $7 for a salad of northwest greens with a blackberry dressing that was the consistency of mayonnaise and on the side. The northwest greens were the spring mix you find in any grocery store.

Entrees average price were about $20, and they were mostly tasty although the fettuccine alfredo looked pretty bad. Thick sauce, lumped together noodles.

They use white table cloths in the dining room, but they don't iron them. They happily roll out a wrinkled cloth on tables. Why bother, Mount Rainier Guest Services? Just don't use table cloths at all.

The cafe in the inn is run with a skeleton crew of two who also have to restock the cafe and run to other parts of the inn to get product if it was sold out in the cafe. For example, some people ahead of me wanted merlot, but they had run out of it so the server had to go to the restaurant (I assume) and get a bottle. Long waits in line. Heard lots of complaints about cafe service while sitting in the shared space on the main floor. People always waiting for brewed coffee.

The main floor seating area in the inn with the piano, fireplaces, couches and big tables was wonderful. Oh and of course walking out of the inn and being able to hit the trails was a convenience, but that's it a convenience. Hard to say the best thing ever when you haven't slept in two nights.

In the future I'll stay in Ashford, wake early and drive in to the park. At least that way I know I'll be well-rested, won't hear my neighbors pass gas and can enjoy my time in this beautiful national park.

denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

We just got back from a one week stay at the Paradise Inn. We had a wonderful time. It is a great location for a family vacation. We went on wonderful hikes and saw beautiful fields of wild flowers and wildlife. Sitting in front of the fire and visiting with fellow hikers was great fun. The food in the restaurant was great. All of the pastries were home baked on the premises. We recommend the Sunday brunch. The staff was helpful and friendly (very rare these days). The rooms are small - but who goes to a National Park to stay in the room? We will visit here again!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Nisqually1, Operations Manager at Paradise Inn at Mount Rainier, responded to this review, August 21, 2009
Thanks to everyone for your comments. The Paradise Inn has always been about having the opportunity to explore and revel being at the edge of a magnificent alpine meadow with the backdrop of Mount Rainier. It remains the start off point for climbers both novice and world class attempting to summit…and statistically, only half who attempt will make it. The Paradise Inn opened in 1917 with 34 rooms which were, and remain today as they were then, very small with one or two single beds and no private bath. Travelers shared bath and shower facilities located in the guest hallway. These rooms are located on the second floor of the main lodge structure. The main lodge boasts three large fireplaces – two in the lobby and one in the dining room and extensive log framing. In 1921, the “Annex” was built adding guestrooms with private baths. These rooms remain relatively rustic and were untouched from the recent structural renovation of the Inn.

Melinda Simpson
Operations Manager
Guest Services, Inc.
San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

I have a love hate feeling about this hotel. I love the location. Absolutely wonderful base to hike in the most extravagant meadow gardens I have ever seen. The huge area of wildflowers with the view in the background of Mr Rainier is not possible to describe in words. But fantastic, extravagant, wonderful, are some that come to mind. The Paradise Inn has a big old park-classic lobby. There are nightly ranger talks in the lobby. I found the dinning room to be very good with good service. This is not gourmet food, but still very good. Nice young faces of kids on their summer vacation doing most of the serving.

Our room here was not acceptable, crummy, spartan, pretty bad. No sound insulation. You not only knew your neighbors were talking, but what they were saying. Our room was VERY small. The bathroom was also tiny. And the shower was terrible. Hot cold hot cold hot cold and so on. No ventilation. Forget air conditioning. And it was hot when we were there. Mid 90s. So nights were hot.

All that said, next time we go to Mr Rainier to see the flowers and big Mountain we are going to try to get a better room in this hotel. I will bring earplugs. I would also comment that the Inn at Longmire also in this park looked like it was in better condition.

Williamstown, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

Yes, this is an expensive place to stay, and there are parking issues. But, if you want to have access to the trails and really get into the character and beauty of Mt. Rainier, then stay here. My family and I had a 2-Bedroom unit, which certainly was not the height of comfort, but adequate and charming in a rustic way. The restaurant meals were actually fairly good, the service was a touch slow, but after some strenuous hiking, it was nice to sit and relax with a glass of wine. There are board games at the desk to keep the kids occupied--there are no TVs and no WiFi (which was just fine with me!).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

We came prepared for the worst after reading the Tripadvisor reviews. Our room was small, as expected. We had a room without a private bathroom, but we were situated right next door to the public restroom. The toilet paper dispenser was on the wall dividing our room from the bathroom, so we could pretty well estimate how much tp each patron used. At a place where the management admits the walls were thin, wouldn't you think they would make an effort to choose a quiet toilet paper dispenser? The giant roll kind would work fine.

Late afternoon seems to be a busy time for shower usage. I had to wait a few minutes for one to open up.

Front desk staff was polite and knowledgeable.

Parking is an issue. We had to park pretty far from the Inn, but were able to move our car closer in the morning before the day trippers arrived.

Despite the drawbacks, I would return to the Paradise Inn because of its beautiful location and the great maze of trails at the National Park.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Copenhagen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

Paradise Inn offers what can be offered within its possiblities as a protected building complex. The setting is superb, and there are no other places to stay in the middle of the Park. One get a feel of how it was to travel in the old days. Despite this people continue to come back year after year. All right - rooms are humble and the restaurant is uncomfortable with overpriced food. My wife and I stayed three nights during a three weeks tour to WA, OR and BC, enjoyed the fantastic landscape (in sunshine), and might come back.
Visitors from Denmark.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Paradise Inn at Mount Rainier? Share your experiences!