“Late September, got a tour without a reservation” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Caverns/ Caves
Activities: Group tours/walking tour, Group tours/air tour
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A mysterious limestone cave that has fascinated people for 4,000 years.
54 attraction reviews
“Late September, got a tour without a reservation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We knew we might not arrive on time from Lexington, KY, but we made it in time for the 3pm Historic Tour. In late September on a Friday afternoon, we did not need a reservation. We were lucky. The tour guide was great, and the cave experience is one of the best in the country. We have seen plenty of cave formations in other caves, so we preferred the historic tour which concentrates on the hugeness of the cavern. The narrow passages and low-ceiling in some places made for a fun hike through the cave. I also recommend the trails connecting to the visitor center and historic cave entrance area.

Thonotosassa, Florida
15 attraction reviews
“Underground wonderment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I wanted to show my grandaughter one of Americas wonders during a trip to the midwest. On the way was Mammoth Cave Park. I have been going to this park from the time I was pre teen and that was in the 1950s. I have seen a lot change as time passed. But the main item, the cave still remains the best part. We took a light tour of four hours and viewed some of the History of the cave and heard stories and History from a very special guide. Our Guide was a direct decendent of the three original guides from over a hundred years ago. On our tour we viewed the large passages and areas where products used to make gun powder were mined. We also did some twisty cruves and climbing that was hard at times. But we survived and had a great time. Staying at the Park has many levels. In the past I have stayed in cabins that were very low end in price, and once in the big lodge that was high end on price. My favarite was the old Hotel now torn down. Food options are good with a reasonable priced full service resturant to a modern snak bar service. The full sevice resturant has a good but basic menu and is based on country family type foods. All very good and filling. Little stores abound to see any type of Tenn or cave rememberance there is. This is a more than one day and less than two day for a quick visit but my recomedation is to stay for three nights. That was one can enjoy a day under and a day over on a trail or river visit. They have a web site for information and it can be helpful but if you travel like me, it will serve only as a guide. If your going to stay in park you MUST secure the room, if not you will pay $$. The entire staff down to the kitchen staff have a very friendly attitude and seem to be sure to make the visit a good one. In my youth i used to do "wild" caving or spelunking as it is called. You can do some wilder caving here but need to be in much better shape than I am now. Go, enjoy, and experence wild America.

Visited July 2012
Mount Juliet, Tennessee
9 attraction reviews
“Great Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband had never been to the park. Since we are in off season, the variety of tours offered during the week are limited. Took the Historic Tour which is 2 hours and 2 miles. There are over 400 stairs on this tour and some very tight spaces so it is rated moderately difficult. The group was small so we were treated to a lot of extra stories. The tour guide was very cheerful and very thorough in answering everyone's questions.
Everything is very well kept and clean. Saw many deer and wild turkeys in the park.

Atlanta, Georgia
7 attraction reviews
“Excellent family camping weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My family camped in the park campground for 2 nights over Labor Day weekend. My husband took the challenging Wild Cave tour, and says it is DEFINITELY NOT for everybody - it is HIGHLY physically challenging. I took the River Styx tour with my 9-year old daughter, and with the exception of getting tired on the stair climb out, we had no problems. It was 2-1/2 hrs of walking & stairs, but nothing we couldn't handle - and I am NOT in great shape. I was told that some areas of the cave are accessible, but I did not take the self-guided tour, so no review.
We saw deer adn wild turkey just outside the campground. The site itself (#10) was clean and well tended, close to the bathroom, and plenty large enough. Parking is right at your site. The rangers made several drive-throughs to check on campers. There are snakes in the area, but we saw none, and the campground has an info board near the bathroom with pictures of the dangerous ones and short blurbs on avoiding them.
The rangers and guides were all very friendly, and numerous - there was never an instance of hunting for someone to help. They gave my daughter a Junior Ranger activity book to fill out, which let her earn a badge and learn about the park; this is available in many National Parks and the kids can collect badges.
The only complaint I have is about the campground showers; they are at the little shop a short walk away, and you have to pay for it - $2 for 10 mins - and they're only available until 10pm.
You can buy firewood or use any downed, dead wood; we had plenty of downed wood to use. I will definitely be going back.

Smiths Grove, Kentucky
4 attraction reviews
“Back to nature...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Wife loves the nature trails...had to give it an excellent...caves are always cool. Interesting how the caves were formed.

Visited August 2012