“rustic but comfortable, exciting but relaxing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Manzanita Lake Camping Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lassen Volcanic National Park
Manzanita Lake Camping Cabins
Lassen Volcanic National Park, CA 96088   |
La Mirada, California
“rustic but comfortable, exciting but relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

This is as relaxing as it can get at a Calfiornia National Park. The cabins are simple, clean, new, and maintained by people who love this place. We spent two nights in #3 cabin. After hiking the manzanita trail and then taking a 1.8 stroll around the lake, the cabin was a special place to rest and recoupe. The sunsets are not to be missed. The wild life around the lake is something that always amazes a city person like me. At sunset there were bats flying and drinking from the lake. In the mornings we watched osprey (raptor) hunt for its breakfast. We are definitely coming back and bringing friends. Note that if sleeping on a hard bed is not your style, bring an air mattress. My husband thought the hard mattress was perfect. I was too tired after hiking to care.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Red Bluff, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

I stayed with my mother (who has some mobility problems) and son in one of the two room cabins (#13 which is listed as handicapped accessible but is not.) The rest of the family stayed in the campground and much of our time was spent with them at the campsites. Here are my recommendations -

- Because I didn't have a car to lug all my camping gear up, we got the camper package which included cooking utensils, camp stove, ice chest, sleeping bags, and some other items. We brought food and other odd bits like aluminum foil, plastic baggies, etc. The only thing we ended up buying from the store which I wish I had brought myself was paper plates, knives, forks, spoons, and cups. I thought "utensils" met eating utensils but it meant cooking utensils. Treat this as a camping trip minus the tent and you will have all you need.

- Compared to renting a cabin in the local town, these spots are probably overpriced for what you get but it's all about location, location, location. Being right on Manzanita Lake was wonderful. Each morning I sat on the porch with a cup of coffee and watched the lake, the squirrels fighting with one another, deer passing in front of the cabin, etc. Ah, heaven. We had kayaks with us and spent the afternoon at the lake. The view from the middle of the lake is incomparable.

- Next time I go, if family goes with me and camps, they will reserve spots in the "A" loop of the campground since it is closest to the cabins (a fact not easily discernible on any maps I was able to locate.) Loop A is closest, loop D is farthest from the cabins. I will also bring board games and card games to play. I don't usually do this for camping trips since evenings are spent around the fireplace. There are fire rings at the cabin sites but I will be more likely to stay inside after dark since the cabins are so cozy.

I am so glad they built these cabins so that those of us without lots of camping gear can stay inside the park. They are a wonderful addition.

Room Tip: Cabins in the single digits are near the store and will have traffic going by regularly. #11, 12, 13...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I'm really not sure how to rate the cabin. Wish I could give it half a star.

On the plus side:
Location, location, location. We stayed in cabin #1 and from our front door we had a great view of trees and bits of Manzanita Lake. I'm guessing it was about a 100 yard walk to the lake from our front door. Not all of the cabins were as close as ours was, but they weren't much further.

Hot showers (put in quarters - I put in maybe $1.50 or so and had plenty enough time to shower) and flush toilets were a short walk from our cabin. There were other facilities located nearer some of the other cabins, but they didn't have flush toilets. Me - I like plumbing.

Stayed nice and warm at night. And it got fairly chilly at night.

On the negative side:
My boyfriend looked at the bed and remarked that it reminded him of the mattresses in baby cribs. It was that blue plasticy kind of mattress. In all fairness, it wasn't that bad for one night - except the double bed is pushed against a wall. So whoever is sleeping next to the wall has to crawl over the other person if s/he has to go to the bathroom during the night.

Don't forget to bring your own bedding or sleeping bags. A second lantern (you get one with the cabin) will also come in handy.

And rent a kayak and go out on Manzanita Lake. Once your halfway across the lake, turn around and enjoy the view. Trust me on this - you'll love it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
irvine, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Just returned from 5 nights in the cabins. What a wonderful time. Cabins were clean and new. Huge bear box for storage.

Staff was most helpful. The store was well stocked, and the (communal) bathroom and showers were clean. The lake is only about 100 yards away.

I would recommend these cabins to anyone visiting Lassen.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Manzanita Lake Camping Cabins? Share your experiences!