“Breathtaking views that never end” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jumbo Rocks Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Joshua Tree National Park
Prices are for rooms, adults
Jumbo Rocks Campground
Save Saved
You added Jumbo Rocks Campground to your Saves list
Joshua Tree National Park, Joshua Tree National Park, CA 92277   |
“Breathtaking views that never end”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here this past weekend for my birthday with friends and family and all I can say is that I would go back in a heartbeat. Specifically, I would stay at this campground. We had read a number of other visitor's reviews, which drew us here in the first place, and it truly didn't disappoint. We stayed and sites 22, 23 and 24 and it was a great collection of sites for a larger group. Honestly, though, you can't go wrong with any of the sites so don't stress about getting the "perfect" site. Your costs for staying here are $15 to enter the Joshua Tree National Park (which is valid for 7 days....just keep your receipt). The site fees are $10 per site per night. Be sure to bring exact cash because there is no ranger station that takes your money and gives you change...it's self service.

As for hikes, we went to the Lost Palms Oasis hike which is a three-mile round trip. It's a nice hike because the way there is mostly uphill leaving you an easy downhill coming back. The payoff is a random Oasis of Palm Trees (hence the name) that appears in the middle of the desert. There are a couple other hikes I would have like to try but we'll definitely go back.

Each site at the campground, by the way, has a picnic table and firepit. There are also bathrooms staggered around the campgrounds which are glorified port-o-potties. Nothing fancy but it does the trick.

The beauty of this place is the evening. As the sun goes down and the colors set in, get to higher ground on one of the many rocks around and you'll be in for a treat.

One last thing...the campgrounds allow dogs but you just need to keep them on leash at all times. They are not allowed on the official trails but there is plenty of terrain around the campground to take your puppy to let him or her explore.

Enjoy your Trip!!!!!

Stayed May 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Newcastle, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

We camped out here with sleeping bags and roll mats (no tents!) and there were several other groups around us. We climbed on top of a large flat boulder and spent the night under the full moon. Never spent the night anywhere so peaceful or gorgeous nor woken up to such a beautiful view.

Room Tip: Boulders are more comfortable than you might think!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

We LOVED this campground. It is nestled between huge rocks which you can scramble upon and which also do a pretty good job of blocking the wind. The campsites are large and the surface is relatively soft - particularly for a desert environment. Most importantly, it is located smack dab in the middle of the park making it a great place from which to base your explorations and hikes. One warning - it gets very cold here in the winter. Take the forecast low from Twentynine Palms and subtract about 15 degrees. So dress warmly, bring some firewood, and get read to have one of most spectacular views of the night sky that you've ever seen.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
No. San Diego County
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I had always wanted to camp at Joshua Tree. Jumbo Rocks campground did not disappoint! We went on the spur of the moment on a Saturday morning last month, and arrived around noon. Not so many sites left at that hour so I would recommend getting there earlier. The campsites were all nice.....but some we like better than others. I have my sights set on #6 next time (we're headed back in March).

We stayed at #20 and #21. Huge, climbable boulders on the site. The sites were so clean. For one night we went through 5 bundles of fire wood. 4 gallons of water (1 per person). There is no store anywhere close so bring what you need. The bathrooms were surprisingly clean for pit toilets. No showers. So many evening stars!!!!

The Skull Rock nature trail was a nice walk. Visit this beautiful place.....you will love it!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Orange, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

Jumbo Rocks offers some of the best camping in Joshua Tree. I love to set up camp and get some hiking in before the sun sets and the stars come out. Check out www.joshuatreecamping.org for more great info on Joshua Tree Camping!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a 2 day camping adventure in Joshua Tree National Park and this is FOR SURE the place to stay if you're tent camping in the park. The scenery is gorgeous and there are large rocks everyone to scramble on. Many areas are very easy to climb/walk up. This is truly a wonderful and unique place unlike any other. The sunrise and sunset views are unbelievable. HIGHLY recommend site #89 - it had everything you could want - plus it could easily fit the 3 tent max. We camped in December and the place was practically empty. FYI - no water, pit toilets. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Aliso Viejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

I just got back from my weekend camping to trip to JTNP at Jumbo Rock campground and it was one of my favorite trips! First off I went to joshua tree because it was close to where I live only around 2 1/2 hours away from orange county and because its open all year round. I have never been to JTNP before so I did research and decided on jumbo rock, the giant round boulders that cover the landscape are absolutely beautiful and can only be describe as a Hollywood back drop for the Flintstones. We arrived around 1:00pm on Friday and I was a little surprised on how full it was, I would guess around 90% occupied only to be completely filled just a few hours later. We got a decent camp spot right next to the amphitheater which didn't provide much protection from the freezing cold wind that would hit us the first night. No water at the campground, so make sure you bring lots of water, bathroom is a hole in the ground but is surprisingly very clean. This being the desert I didn't expect it to be so beautiful, I will defiantly be returning very soon!

Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Jumbo Rocks Campground? Share your experiences!