Unfortunately I was fooled by the favorable reviews of At the Crater's Edge and booked 3 nights here. Unlike all of the other hotels we made reservations at throughout our vacation, this place charged us immediately and appears to have the strictest of cancellation policies (presumably to prevent people from either turning away immediately pin arriving or from canceling the rest of their stay after 1 night.)
Upon our arrival, we received unquestionably the least friendly, least considerate reception we've ever had at any hotel (or hostel) that we've stayed at (and there have been hundreds) around the world. With ZERO hospitality, we were told that the room was not ready and that checkin wasn't until 3:00. Expecting an invitation to at least stow our luggage or have a seat and connect to their wifi until the room was ready, we were basically run off for 2 hours. I understand that establishments have checkin in times, but this establishment apparently has no empathy or concern for the exhausted traveller or for the convenience of their guests.
When we finally saw our room, oh boy, was it a disappointment. These rooms have NO AIR CONDITIONING, which they rationalize by citing the semi cool outdoor temperatures. Apparently nobody could possibly need AC in Hawaii in June. These rooms have NO LIGHT BLOCKING CURTAINS, only sheers. So plan on waking at sunrise and falling asleep at sunset. This is, of course, if you are able to even sleep at all with ALL OF THE LOUDLY BARKING DOGS which apparently surround the property. We were told that people around At the Crater's Edge have guard dogs, and that they bark, and there's nothing that can be done about it. Again, unbelievably, no regard for the comfort or concerns of their guests. Dogs bark, just get over it.
So in order to try to catch a breeze, you must have your window/doors open (the screens do not block out all the bugs BTW.) This eliminates any of the door's sound insulation, which I can only assume is why the dogs sound as loud as they do. Pack earplugs....and a sleep mask. Light sleeps need to look elsewhere as should anyone who wants to enjoy themselves on this side of the island. This establishment is approximately 27 miles from Hilo and there is very limited dining options in the immediate vicinity. At half of the price they charge for a room here, it would still be too high.....the rooms are glorified gazebos with beds and bathtubs.
I can only assume that the favorable reviews for this place are a result of confirmation bias or honeymoon nostalgia. Objectively speaking, there are far better options than At the Crater's Edge. I suggest you keep looking and find one.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- New, Contemporary cedar and glass architect designed home nestled into the native rainforest outside Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Suites with Fireplaces, Jacuzzi tubs, Canopy beds avail, Most have Kings. Outdoor sauna and hot tub. Beautiful furnishings and linens,Romantic, private setting. In room coffee and tropical fruit, coupon for llight breakfast at local cafe. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz and Hotwire so you can book your At the Craters Edge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- At The Craters Edge Hotel Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- At The Craters Edge Hawaii/Hawaii Volcanoes National Park