“Surprisingly comfy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Haleakala National Park Campgrounds / Wilderness Cabins

Haleakala National Park Campgrounds / Wilderness Cabins
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Haleakala National Park
Haleakala National Park Campgrounds / Wilderness Cabins
P.O. Box 369, Haleakala National Park, Maui, HI 96768   |
Oregon
“Surprisingly comfy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

My husband and I packed in and stayed at the Kapalaoa cabin for a night. I was really surprised by how comfy the bunks were. Nice and soft. The bunks and table are in the main room, with a little kitchen off to the side. Bring a firestarter with you! We had brought kindling and matches to start a wood fire. But there wasn't actually wood, just compressed logs. We gave it a good try, but couldn't get the logs (which were wet) to catch. Ah well, we had brought warm sleeping bags in case there was no wood, so we were fine. The cabin warms up quickly in the morning once the sun is up.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

9 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Henderson, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

My boyfriend and I drove up to Haleakala to watch the sun rise on our last day in Maui. It was beautiful. The summit is above cloud cover which made it all the more breathtaking. We were staying in Kihei and the drive took about two hours to get there. The roads are winding once you get into the park, lots of switch backs, so be careful on your drive especially if you're going up for sunrise as it will be dark of course.

One of the highlights of our trek, besides the view, was the coffee cart on the way up. Crater Coffee it's called and the owner was super kind...and generous as it turned out. A cup of coffee is $4 and we only had credit cards on us and just barely under $4 in coins. He gave us the coffee anyway and threw in a water no charge. He also gave us helpful advice about where to park and how to beat the traffic on the way down and there was a lot once the sun had risen. Please visit this local business on the way up. They're open from 2:30am until 7:30am perfect for the early risers driving up to see the sun rise.

I had to pry myself out of bed at 3am but the view plus the generosity of a small local business made this definitely a visit worth making.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Regina, SK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

We stayed in the campground area. Camping was free! But I believe there is a 3 day limit. Beautiful view of the ocean. There are quite a few very open camp spots, but also very secluded hidden gems along the ocean front under trees. You feel like you're the only one there -- you can hear only the waves of the ocean! Pit toilets, no showers, and no running water (from what I can remember). Great spot for budget travellers on the expensive island of Maui!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2007

I spent two nights in the Haleakala cabins: the first night in Paliku and the second in Holua cabin. I did not stay in Kapalaoa cabin (but did hike past it on my way to Paliku.) Both cabins were pleasant, but Holua was in much better shape than Paliku. Kapalaoa had some bees outside (we ate there), but the other cabins only had a few flies.

We hiked out the first day at the Haleakala crater and returned via the Halemau'u Trailhead. The trails are well-marked and pretty easy to hike, although the crater can feel like sand (so calves be forewarned.) Don't expect to see a lot of people.

Both Holua and Paliku were equipped with running (albeit unfiltered) water, an outhouse a few hundred feet away, toilet paper and soap, a dozen bunk beds with very comfortable pads, and a large center table. There were gas stoves and a wood stove. Paliku looked like frat boys had just partied there: candle wax was all over the table and there were plenty of carvings. I don't know if this is typical. It didn't really affect our stay - it just wasn't that attractive.

Holua was much cleaner and very pleasant to stay in. The nene are very good at begging for food, but don't give them any.

I don't know if I'd suggest max-ing out the number of people staying in a cabin: 6-8 adults would be the most I would try to fit inside. While there are some candles, you will probably want to bring your own along with some activities for the night. Playing cards got kind of old. :)

These are great alternatives to carrying a tent + supplies for those who want to backpack through the park. I would definately recommend them; we had a wonderful and serene time.

• Liked — Can't beat the location!
  • Disliked — Paliku was a little dirty.
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring candles, kindling, and something to do in your spare time.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Haleakala National Park Campgrounds / Wilderness Cabins? Share your experiences!