“Beautiful Hike- But come prepared” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Equestrian Trails
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A scenic hiking and horseback riding trail that features major waterfalls, beautiful pools and an eerie bamboo forest.
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Hike- But come prepared”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

My husband and I hiked this trail later in the day and should have been more prepared, but we survived and it was well worth it. I am near 60 and have a bad hip and knees and rheumatoid arthritis so I was very wary as to whether it was a good idea to hike to see the falls at the end of the trail. At the start of the trail a woman near my age encouraged me to continue and passed me her bamboo walking stick, and told me to make sure to get my feet wet and cross the stream. The hiking stick was a huge help to keep me and my knees stable on the trek. If you are in great shape wear the right shoes and take water - it will take you 2 hours round trip- for us it was more than 3 hours. The bamboo forest was other- worldly and worth the hike on its own. Near the end you need to cross a stream with many opportunities for a fall. We saw many people getting soaked, dropping cameras and sitting down hard on a rock in the stream. This is where the stick was a life saver-I was able to plant it securely in a crevice between rocks to navigate safely across the stream. My husband did not cross the stream , he didn't have shoes that he could get wet and then hike down the trail in. The density of the trees make viewing the waterfall impossible without crossing the stream. I took videos to share with him, but I regret that we weren't prepared to both enjoy the waterfall together. My water shoes weren't the best for the hike and without socks I ended up with several blisters. I highly recommend taking a light backpack to carry some water and a change of shoes that you can get wet and a dry pair of socks to wear with your hiking shoes for the trek down. If we ever go again that is what we will do, and the hiking stick is a must for hikers with problems of stability.

Visited July 2013

Livonia, New York
7 attraction reviews
“Nice Hike”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

It was dry so the stream action was not very noticeable. The bamboo forest is lovely. Make sure you take bug spray.

Melbourne, Australia
34 attraction reviews
“A slog but worth it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Takes about an hour into see the 400ft falls and you traverse over varied terrain. The Banyan tree and bamboo forest are just as impressive as the falls.

6 attraction reviews
“Awesome hike to 400 foot waterfall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Awesome 2 mile (one way) hike to 400 foot waterfall. We stayed in Hana and drove to Haleakala National Park in the morning. We were so glad we did because we had the trail and waterfall to ourselves! It was a cool hike with sights of the ocean, some lower pools and through a bamboo forest. At the water fall the sun was out and created a rainbow at the bottom. Stunning!

New York, New York, United States
“Great Hike. Go all the way up to the Large Fall!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

It's a nice hike up to an awe-inspiring waterfall (with a smaller, but still very nice one half way up). You will also hike through an amazing Bamboo forest. The hike is about 1 hour each way. It's not very difficult, even though there are a couple of steep passages, but it shouldn't be an issue for most people.