“An easy walk, but get there early” 5 of 5 stars

and up
Spectacular Haleakala Maui Sunrise Tour
Type: Equestrian Trails, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: A scenic hiking and horseback riding trail that features major waterfalls, beautiful pools and an eerie bamboo forest.
Texas
20 attraction reviews
“An easy walk, but get there early”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I started from Kipahulu campground at 6:30 and was alone on the trail. Being first has its advantages, as several mangoes had fallen from the sole mango tree en-route and I took the only two that hadn't split open on impact. Ha! On my descent, I encountered group after group after group going up, so I was happy to avoid the crowds. The walk is easy, even after a rainstorm, and the "streams" are two minor crossings with rocks. I did the route in sandals and had no problems whatsoever, with no wet feet.

Tewksbury, Massachusetts
7 attraction reviews
“What a wonderful hike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

On our way to Hana we stopped to do some hiking. What an experience taking the Pipiwai trail. The scenery changed every step of the way. I really enjoyed walking through the bamboo forest, did not expect it to be like that. Photos don't do it justice. The hike was a slow steady incline with steps to a beautiful waterfall. On the way there were small falls until you get to the grand finally. The waterfall at the end was very refreshing and an awesome sight. The hike back took half the time since it was a slow downhill to the visitors center.

Davenport, Iowa
3 attraction reviews
“WOW!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Loved this hike! We knew the waterfall was going to be big, but we had no idea how breathtaking it would be. This was one of our favorite stories to tell about the trip and we would recommend it to anyone who can handle a lengthy and sometimes tricky walk. The trails were well taken care of and there were so many things to see on the way. My biggest recommendation is to start the trip out early. It is not fun to drive back in the dark!

Kansas City
5 attraction reviews
“Do it! But do it with insect repellant.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This hike is phenomenal. Amazing views. Waterfalls, bamboo forests--what more could you want? Oh, right--bug spray. I ended up covered in bites, which was unpleasant, but other than that, we had a great time. You will be HUNGRY afterwards, so make sure you have a snack or a meal waiting in your car. Took us a bit over 2.5 hours, and we took LOTS of pictures. When you're done, head down to the pools to cool off! Parking lot is part of Haleakala park, so you'll have to buy a pass if you don't already have one.

Tennessee
12 attraction reviews
“Mud and more mud”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Don't wear your good shoes! Or flip flops! After hiking through the mud, and sliding through the mud, we finally turned around once we got to the bamboo forest (which was amazing!) I just wasn't prepared for the mud. I thought it was hard because you were climbing up slick, muddy steps and up, and up, around muddy roots. I wasn't happy because I had read the reviews and didn't see one about the mud. My husband had to throw his tennis shoes away. Please try to get here early. It took us much longer to get to the bamboo than I had planned. Drive straight to Hana and don't do any of the stops along the way if you want to do this. I want to do it again, properly outfitted for mud, and with enough time! $10 to get into the park btw.