“Well worth the drive!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Book a Tour

Type: Volcanos, Geologic Formations, Hiking Trails, Mountains, Biking Trails
Activities: Biking, Group tours/day tour, Mountain biking, Watching sunrise/sunset, Hiking
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A dormant volcano measuring 10,000 feet above sea level, it is Maui's highest point.
Sydney, Australia
15 attraction reviews
“Well worth the drive!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

My husband and I didn't get up early but we enjoyed our 1/2 day spent on Haleakula. There is one picnic table at the Visitor's Centre where we made coffee from our thermos.
We then went up to the top and savoured the views. Would have liked to walk into the crater but it was very hot so we only took photos.
A very unique area and a must see.

• Korean first
Amersham, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“stunning scenery, peaceful, worthwhile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We have been to the summit three times now, including one sunset. It is a popular destination, but you can always find a quiet spot or wait out the noisier trippers. The drive up and down offers spectacular views and has plenty of pull outs to give the driver a chance to see them. Apart from the cars it is really quiet. The road itself is interesting to drive but not hair raising. Much better than the road to Hana. Visitor centres are friendly and staff helpful.
The scenery whether at sunset or midday is breathtaking. I love Haleakala. I can look at it all day from below just to watch the clouds change its moods and enjoy so much the cool starkness of the summit and crater. (Don't forget to dress warmly!)

Hillsboro, Oregon
4 attraction reviews
“A MUST VISIT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Would rank one in list of places that i have visited till now (and world probably).... Such an amazing place you will be astonished in seeing colors of sky.
How do you plan your visit:
You should reach this place as early as possible at least reach there by 4.30 am because you get to watch night sky with stars and also would not miss color change in sky. Being early would also help u to save space for your car :) (Parking)
What to take wit you: Light jacket or blanket, gloves, Camera not to forget, and your partner :P

Just hold hands of your partner and enjoy the view......

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“This View is LIFECHANGING!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

While visiting Maui, I thought I would just see lush landscapes and indulge in drinks with little umbrellas. I had no idea what I was in for! One of my friends suggested we take the drive up and warned me to take a jacket and a pair of jeans....It's HAWAII, I didn't pack jeans and jackets!! Luckily, another friend had a throw with her and I'm so glad she did! On the beautiful drive up, we watched the temperature gauge dip to 56 degrees. When we reached the top it was breathtaking...literally and figuratively! There were some stairs that took you to an overlook and it's officially 10,023 feet above sea level and the sign warns you to take it slow up the stairs. I had to sit down after climbing maybe 20 stairs and I'm in pretty good shape LOL!!! We gathered with the other sun gazers and waited patiently for the sunset to begin. It was beautiful and oohs and ahhs rumbled through the crowd and there was even a round of applause at the end, thanking God for such a wondrous process!!! I was astounded, I forgot to take a video of the event! This should definitely be a bucket list item for everyone. I felt like God had given me a backstage pass to a special viewing of His most awesome movie! LOVED IT!!!!

Markham, Canada
5 attraction reviews
“The sunrise is a must see! (In spite of the early wake-up time and cold.)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

What a beautiful sight! We were staying near Kaanapali Beach and left our hotel at about 2:30am. The drive to the actual park does not take long. It's the drive up to the summit that takes quite long as the speed limit is low and the road is very curvy PLUS it's dark (but the road is well marked and paved). We arrived at the entrance and of course, the Visitor Center is closed because of the time. We make use of the washrooms before driving up to the summit. We arrived about 4-4:30am (therefore early), which wasn't completely a bad thing as the parking lot at the summit got full pretty fast. I had to watch some cars turn back and park closer to the washrooms and then the people would walk to the summit. There's a flight of stairs that leads to the top and you can take refuge in the shelter. The shelter consists of large windows that are not exceptionally clear when wanting to take pictures, but at least your protected from the wind.

Some things we found helpful...
1. Timing and weather - If you are planning on spending a few days in Maui, I would plan this trip to see this sunrise at the beginning of your stay. Because, if is postponed due to weather (in our case, Tropical Storm Flossie) then you still have time to make up for it. We constantly checked the Haleakala National Park website and http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.phpzoneid=HIZ022 for up to date information on conditions and weather.
2. What everyone says is true...it is cold! How easily the 30+C weather on a Maui beach can fool you in to thinking that it is not! My friend decided he would be fine in a T-shirt and shorts!?! Luckily he brought a blanket with him. I, myself, wore jeans, a fleece hoodie and scarf and I still thought to myself, "Wow, it feels like late fall/early winter like back home (Toronto)!"
3. Know your camera and be quick with it. The clouds blew in so quickly that at times it felt like we were engulfed in a never-ending fog. But then, all of sudden, it would clear and we would get these beautiful glimpses of the sunrise. And in those glimpses, I would take MANY shots including panoramic. I'd say I took at least 200 pictures and only may be 10 shots came out well. Of course, you have the different lighting conditions and colours, and being able to set your camera quickly to enhance such conditions helps a lot. (We even had a shot of the sun beginning to appear while the moon was still out...almost like night and day coexisted.)

While you may feel sleep-deprived and chilled to the bone, the sunrise is one breathtaking sight...so soak it all in!

Visited July 2013