“Awesome.” 5 of 5 stars

Grand Canyon National Park, AZ 86022
800-253-7328
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Offers the greatest vacations in the world. CRATE has been operated by the original owners for over 40 years. The company is family owned and operated and specializes in working with groups, individuals, couples, and families. CRATE operates its rafting trips with smaller group sizes and considers off-river hiking an important part of Grand Canyon rafting, the rafts are comfortable and not overcrowded. CRATE offers many options with its Grand Canyon rafting tours rangeing from 3-14 days in length and include paddle, rowing, motorized, and raft & ranch options. They offer complete Grand Canyon trips that travel all 277 miles of the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon as well as partial rafting trips to or from Lee's Ferry, Phantom Ranch, Diamond Creek and Pearce Ferry. In addition to Grand Canyon the company also offers all-inclusive rafting tours in Utah and Alaska.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Awesome.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

CRATE is a company that cares. My 13-year-old son and I just paddled the Grand Canyon. It changed his life, enhanced mine and planted seeds for our next CRATE adventure. This was my 6th trip with them since 1992. Each better than the last. Most guides are long-term devoted employees who are safety conscious, attentive, good cooks and knowledgeable about geology, and pre-Puebloan history. They're also fun to hang with. The hikes are amazing. The rapids are exhilarating. The memories are lasting. Can't wait for a return trip to swim through waterfalls, decipher ancient petroglyphs and eat hardy dinners after a rolling day on the river. Being "in" the canyon is vastly different than being on its edge. Run rivers!

Glenwood Springs, Colorado, United States
“Choose CRATE.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Just finished my second river trip with CRATE on a beautiful trip down the Grand Canyon. The guides were fun, laid back, and knowledgable. The food was fantastic. We had one motor boat, a paddle boat, and two duckies. I had a great time experiencing the canyon in each. But I must say that the paddle boat was a total blast. I'm ready to start planning my next trip with CRATE.

Arlington, Virginia
“A trip of a lifetime!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We recently returned from our 8-day motorized trip through the entire Grand Canyon. It was an unbeleivable trip for our entire group of 8, ranging in age from 20 to 68. The guides were very knowledgeable as well as incredibly helpful and friendly. They made sure that everyone who wanted to go on a hike had the help needed. The hikes were amazing - I never imagined that the canyon would have side canyons with such beautiful waterfalls and streams. I recommend the entire canyon trip to experience the full variety of rock types, colors, and heights. The food was varied and very good. I preferred the cot, while my husband perferred the tent with mat. I loved watching the stars at night. The seats while in camp were a great idea. This is the way to see the canyon!!

Austin, Texas
“Amazing 11-day paddle trip through the Canyon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We just got back from an 11-day paddle trip of the Upper and Lower Grand Canyon. To say it was amazing is understatement. All the guides were always ready to help and answer questions. We were told about the history of the Canyon as we floated through by our boat captains. One of the captains even serenaded the camp to sleep each night on his Native American flute.

The food was terrific. We half expected freeze-dried meals but got fresh salads, meats, fruits, and even steaks. My son had his 17th birthday on the river and they even produced a cake and candles for a small party 7 days into the trip. We still don't know where they got the cake from. They were also very accommodating of my friend and his gluten allergy. They went to great lengths to make sure he had something special and tasty just for himself.

The hikes to hidden waterfalls were all wonderful. The hike to Thunder River was a bit of a 'death march' in the 100 degree heat but worth it once you finished the climb.

We lucked out on weather and only got rained on a few times for a few minutes each. The upside to the rain was my butts kept temps tolerable. Sleeping accommodations are under the stars each night. They provide cots and inflatable mattresses for comfort even. We fell asleep each night counting falling stars and satellites.

The finish with a flight by helicopter out at the end is the topping on the cake.

I believe the paddle trip is one of the best ways to 'experience' the Canyon. You are somewhat in control of whether you make it through a rapid clean or become a 'swimmer'. You will sleep well each night after working so hard but it is the best kind of tired there is.

Annandale, New Jersey
“Truely awe inspiring experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Excellent food.Terrific guides, skilled and knowledgeable. Majestic scenery at each turn of the river. Fabulous!! We chose CRATE and were not disappointed, We were well taken care and it was a trip of a lifetime..

Visited June 2013