“Nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Maswik Lodge

Save Saved
You added Maswik Lodge to your Saves list
Maswik Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Main St, PO Box 69910, Grand Canyon National Park, AZ 86023   |
Amersham, United Kingdom
“Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Met my expectations totally. With a wide variety of restaurants and cafes for food the rooms were also really comfortable. They had no air conditioning but trust me, it's not required as it gets so cold at night in the canyon. Best birthday ever this was for me.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Busan, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Base on low rating on reviews, I was hesitant on booking this lodge. Since the price is right. And want to watch Sunset and Sunrise. I gave it a try. And I made a great decision. It is a great place to stay, and we do not have to drive around the park. There is bus take you every where around South rim. Car is not allowed reached to these attraction area anyway. You have to take bus. The food in cafe is good and price is reasonable. It is more expensive to stay outside the park. It cost me $2.35 for a small coffee in McDonald right outside Park Entrance. It only cost $1.75 at the cafe next to Lodge.

Room Tip: Lodge called Spruce, it is roomy and comfy
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Oakley, Bucks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Spent two nights at Maswik Lodge, overall okay. Room clean but no air conditioning, so absolutely stifling during the night. Internet only available in public areas and very slow. Cafeteria food pricey. Told we could not book in until 4pm, then found huge queues, had to wait at least half an hour. However the location is brilliant, shuttle bus stops right outside, but it is only a very short distance to walk to South Rim. Worst experience was dining at The Arizona restaurant, part of Bright Angel Lodge complex, see my separate review.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We checked into the Maswik Lodge for one night on June 12. I was a little apprehensive after reading some of the reviews. I was very surprised and happy when I saw the room. It was spacious and bright, on the second floor of the “Mesquite” building. This is in the north part of the hotel because I specifically wanted a room with A/C. It was clean and comfortable, with a balcony facing the woods. We saw all sorts of wildlife (mostly deer and elk) and were within a 5-minute walk to the south rim of the canyon. The room also had a fridge and coffee maker. I cannot reiterate enough how very pleased I was. Is it a Ritz Carlton? Of course not. But the accommodations were really very nice. If you’re looking for room service, turn down service, and mints on your pillows, then this place is probably not for you. It was clean, comfortable, relatively modern, and VERY quiet. I was disappointed that I was only there for one night. Bonus: The staff was very friendly and welcoming.

One minor gripe: When checking in, they discuss the various dining options with you. There is a cafeteria-style restaurant directly on the property. We were too exhausted to go anywhere else, so we opted to have dinner there. Big mistake. My friend got a “chicken dinner”, which had two sides of mushy, overcooked vegetables. To add insult to injury, it was ice cold. I ordered from the pasta counter. I got a slab of room-temperature lasagna. The girl behind the counter realized she was out of garlic bread, so I had to stand there for 5 minutes while she made more. By the time I sat down to eat, mine was cold too. Important advice: If you really must eat here, keep it simple. Order a sandwich, a salad, or (maybe) a burger. Otherwise you will be stuck with really awful, school-lunch type food – and expensive for what you get. If I were to return, I would make reservations at one of the nicer restaurants. They are all within walking distance.

I almost gave this property 5 stars, but the lousy food bumped them down a notch. Otherwise it is picture-perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a "north room". They are the ones with air conditioning. Also be sure to ask for a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was a comfortable motel, the beds were firm and it had a refrigerator, the TV was mediocre, but you're paying to be within an easy walk of Bright Angel Trail and the Hermit's Rest shuttle. The cafeteria is adequate, given how far it is the price for the food isn't unreasonable. However, go to the market store to buy your snacks and souvenirs, we found the same stuff there but all at a couple of bucks less.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Wescosville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The hotel is walking distance to the south rim. The units are ordinary motel types but plenty of room.with two queens. Didn't see an elevator for second floor units. It is very queit at night since you are in the woods by the canyon. The location is a short walk to the rim, the lodge, restaurants, park transportation, the train and shops. You won't find this type of situation anywhere else.

Room Tip: Try for a first floor room away from the steps to the upper level.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Boonton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My wife and I did a circle tour of National Parks in late April 2013. We were fortunate in encountering only fine weather and reasonably-sized crowds at all the sites. We went to Zion (Zion Lodge), Bryce (Best Western), Arches (Sunflower Hill), Monument Valley (The View), Grand Canyon (Maswik Lodge) and Hoover Dam (Silverton Hotel Las Vegas). I have comments on each park included in the hotel comment. As others suggest, try to get the very useful park newspaper/guide as soon as you enter the park. Also avoid buying gas near the parks (we paid $1 over the going rate at the Texaco in Tusayan outside the Grand Canyon).

Maswick Lodge is convenient to its cafeteria and the shuttle routes and staying there is far superior to the long drive you encounter if you stay outside the park. Our room on the second floor of the Yellow Pine building was adjacent to the storage closet used by housekeeping staff. Upon arrival we were greeted by two fold up rollaway beds parked outside our door. It took three calls and two days to get them removed, and one of them reappeared on our last day. Our room was in the North Section of Maswick which is considerably more expensive than the South Section (nearly double). I believe the South Section does not have air conditioning. The North Section does not rate any compliments other than for its convenience. We never used our car once we parked it but we did use our flashlights whenever we were out at night. Breakfast early on Eggs Benedict at El Tovar with tremendous views. Eating at the Bright Angel Lodge restaurant is your best bet. The Arizona Room is fine but overpriced. The Maswick Cafeteria is also overpriced with mediocre food and it can be noisy with long lines. All the Grand Canyon restaurants add a % to your bill as a “utility charge” for their “remote location”. The other National Parks we visited in Utah were similarly remote but did not have such a penny ante approach to mistreating their customers. The Watchtower, and Hermit’s Rest and Hopi Point for sunset photography were high points of our visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Maswik Lodge? Share your experiences!