“Great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kachina Lodge

You added Kachina Lodge to your Saves list
Kachina Lodge
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Grand Canyon Village, South Rim, Grand Canyon National Park, AZ 86023   |
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Me and my newlywed wife planned our honeymoon to stay in Las Vegas and decided to stay one night at The Grand Canyon. Chose Kachina Lodge for its price and location and we were not disappointed.
The room they set us up in had a view of the Canyon which was nice. It was clean and well organized. The king bed was comfortable but the bathroom was small though. Parking is free but limited. I recommend it.

Room Tip: Try to book a trip to The Grand Canyon in late November (before Thanksgiving). It´s peaceful and the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

Critter visits during the night make this an eventful place to stay. Skip Kachina Lodge and stay at the El Tovar instead or go camping at the Grand Canyon to get a closer-to-nature experience that does not involve mice and chipmunks visiting your hotel room.

• Stayed December 2013
Aliso Viejo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

The lodge is in a wonderful spot on the Grand Canyon. I was concerned when we pulled up because it looks like a outdated dorm but the rooms are completely renovated. The parking is a problem with very few spots for as many rooms. We thought the room was clean and staff helpful and friendly. There is lots of places close by to get food. Make sure to ask for a view room or you will be looking at a parking lot

• Stayed November 2013
Burlington, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We started our 4 1/2 hour drive from Las Vegas and our only setback was the GPS finding the lodges once in the Park. Our timing couldn't be better as the $25 fee to enter was waived due to Veteran's Day. We checked into El Tovar Hotel which was done quite quickly just in time for the beautiful sunset. We took the short drive to our room at The Kachina. Once my wife noticed how close we were to the South rim she was just in awe and gave me a kiss. The view is spectacular and pictures don't do it justice. The room was quaint,clean and warm which was needed on this night. The bathroom was small but nice with Lemongrass lotion, body wash and hair products. The only setback was the limited channels on the television which wasn't properly set but who's there to watch television. We had a reservation for dinner at El Tovar. The food was good but a little on the expensive side. As the night winded down the other great part of the night was the star gazing in a quiet environment. It didn't happen that night but the front desk clerk even mentioned there are times it's so clear you can see the milky way. The next morning we were up early with our room made coffee for the sunrise at the Grand Canyon. Afterwards we took the free shuttle bus to the various points along the rim. It was an awesome sight to be seen in person.

Outer Banks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Never having been to the canyon before we decided to stay on the rim and are we glad we did! The three hotels (lodges) there are right on the rim and the views are spectacular. We stayed in Kachina lodge two nights which is about enough to see a lot, if not most, of the canyon from the top. The lodge was very clean and nice and we loved the Keurig coffee maker in the room. You have several places to eat as options and we went to the Arizona Room both nights to save some money. The food was great and service was perfect. Everyone was so friendly and the wait staff has been there 5-15 years (our waiters told us). I can't imagine why you would want to stay anywhere other then in this lodge, it was perfect and updated in the past few years. Very Very nice! The weather in mid November was a surprise - 65-70 deg made it wonderful.

Room Tip: Stay here and get the rooms with a view - you will be happy you did. 2 nights is plenty.
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Stayed at Kachina Lodge for five nights. Checking in and out went very smoothly (Kachina guests check in at El Tovar) . I paid for a canyon-side room with a partial view and requested the 2nd floor, which was not guaranteed. As it turned out, I did get a 2nd-floor room (king-sized bed) with a lovely view (photo below; you could see even more if you moved to the far left window). The room felt very private; there were sheer curtains if you wanted to still see the view but add a little privacy. I left all curtains open on two nights due to the full moon lighting up the canyon and sky.

I stayed in Tusayan in April for four nights and while I had no problem driving in and out of the park, it was wonderful this time to have a room to return to during the day to rest or change before heading out again. One night I was ill and needed to sleep in and take it easy till the next afternoon, but I just enjoyed the view and didn't feel like I was missing out on the canyon since it was right outside my window.

Yes, the lodge is dated (built in the seventies). Yes, the rooms are small and the bathroom smaller. But the room had everything I needed, and everything worked fine. Sheets and towels looked older but were clean; the only recommendation I have for the cleaning crew would be to remove fingerprints from the windows--after all, the view is one of the selling points (location, of course, is the other). I took a cloth and cleaned them myself on arrival, and as I did not request service during my stay I never spoke to the housekeeping staff about this.

I would not hesitate to stay at this lodge again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Stayed at the Kachina Lodge for two nights in October. Rather ugly from the outside, the Lodge’s appeal is location. Steps away from the canyon rim and from the El Tovar (for checking in, lounge and dining) the location can’t be beat. We booked a “partial view” room and from our second floor windows, the view was spectacular. The room wasn’t fancy and can best be described as comfortable, clean and adequate; two queen beds, TV, safe, fridge, coffee/tea maker, small closet, and desk. The bathroom was small and could definitely use an update but everything functioned properly.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Kachina Lodge? Share your experiences!