“All you need for an overnight stay” 4 of 5 stars

You added Bright Angel Lodge and Cabins to your Saves list
Bright Angel Lodge and Cabins
Highway 64, South Rim, Grand Canyon National Park, AZ 86023   |
Sydney
“All you need for an overnight stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed in a basic double cabin at the back of the Bright Angel group. The cabins are around 80 years old. They are quaint, warm and very comfortable. Ours had a queen bed, ensuite, bar fridge, coffee maker, TV and desk. It was all that we needed. It was only a one minute walk to the rim and after all the day trippers left we were able to park our car right outside the cabin. Due to the age of the cabins and the fact that they are wooden, some noise does travel between rooms that are in cabins that have connecting rooms. This didn't affect our stay though. If you want Canyon views book a suite, more expensive but would be worth it. Our cabin had elk "mooing" outside at night and when we got up to see the sunrise they were grazing around the area.

Room Tip: Book a suite for views of the rim.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Ok, for those of you who have read my reviews, I do not typically say bad things. This time I will make the exception. Xanterra makes more than enough money to provide a more comfortable experience than we received while staying in a cabin at Bright Angel Lodge. Yeah, I get the fact they cannot modify the room due to historical constraints the Park Service demands of them, but they can provide a much more comfortable bed or bedding.

For $118 dollars, you cannot get closer to the rim, trail heads, or the bus line, I will give them that. The Cabin number was 9165, a duplex with a dividing wall so thin they could have saved the money and just placed a curtain. The beds were placed head to head, we heard them clear as day, and I am sure they heard us without any problems. The pillow was so hard, I would have been better off using a 5 lb sack of flour instead. Same goes for the bed, it had to been the absolute cheapest mattress I have ever slept on. Heck, my bunk on a sub was much more comfortable than this bed.

End result, not much sleep after a very eventful day hiking around the rim. Too bad, the location really cannot be beat. I blame this right on Xanterra, they can keep the cabin as sparse as the Park Service wants, but looking at the company's bottom line over the years, they can more than afford a decent bed.

Will I stay at the cabin again.........no. Will I stay in the park again, you bet, just not at this facility.

Room Tip: If your cabin is a duplex, you will might as well meet the people next door.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
XanterraCorporate, Director of Sales at Bright Angel Lodge and Cabins, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at our Bright Angel Lodge. This popular lodge was built in 1935 and designed by Mary Colter. It is popular with those planning to hike the Bright Angel Trail and with those who prefer historic in-park lodges. The rates are based on comparability with like properties outside the park and approved annually by the National Park Service. The rooms have received numerous renovations over the years of course but the basic construction remains the same. The beds are quality hotel beds and I know that there are many preferences in pillows. I will forward your comments to the rooms department so thay can perhaps add a softer pillow option in the rooms.
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Once we heard the Governor of Arizona opened the parks we called immediately and booked a room on the rim in the cabins. Normally you would have to book at least 6 months in advance. Our room was rustic,but neat and clean. Beds are okay, pillows not so much, either ask for extra or bring your own. The view we had was surreal. I could wake up early and watch the sun rise, walk a few hundred feet and listen to the ranch handler give his talk to the brave souls that ventured down the canyon on the mules and watch the Mule deer and elk cross the path in front of me. I expected to pay so much more than the $118. per night. We stayed 3 nights. All the tours leave from the Bright Angel Lodge, so this was very convenient. When I return to the Grand Canyon ( and I will) this is where we will stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
XanterraCorporate, Director of Sales at Bright Angel Lodge and Cabins, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Glad you enjoyed our Bright Angel Lodge! this lodge has been a popular Grand Canyon accommodation since 1935. And the location is hard to beat!
Thanks for sharing your comments.
Stavanger, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

So glad we did chose the Bright Angle. It IS a traditional lodge with ambience, basic but pleasant accomodation . The location is even better then you think! Just a few meters from the edge.
The path down into the canyon from the Kolb Brothers studio is only 200 meters away.
Suggestion: set your alarm a few minutes before sunrise, og out and enjoy the view.

Room Tip: Book early if you like a room with private bath. But the shower room in the hall was nice, warm and...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

My husband reserved a cabin along the south rim of the Grand Canyon, and I expected it to be very old and basic. What we found was a comfortable bed and updated bathroom, and small fridge and coffee maker. We had no direct view, but we were steps from the rim, which was great for catching the sunrise over the canyon. One morning we walked out to find 4 elk munching on the vegetation outside our room! Overall, this was a perfect place for us - close, comfy, and cost-effective. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Try to call far in advance to reserve a cabin, but don't give up if they're booked up becaus...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wilmslow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed in a standard double bedroom with shared bathroom facilities. It was located in a accommodation block just a few hundred feet from the main lodge reception. The room was very good and ideal for a solo traveller or a couple. The bedroom was perfectly adequate size, clean and had a wash basin. The communial bath rooms, shower rooms and toilets were absolutely fine and very close to the bedroom. Good peaceful sleep. Lovely location right on the south rim. I would always use this place for future visits.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a partial view queen cabin. It is in a fantastic spot, only meters to the canyon rim. The room was better than we had expected - heating, fan, fridge, microwave, tv, comfy bed, great bathroom. Wifi in reception. Highly recommended.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Bright Angel Lodge and Cabins? Share your experiences!