“This time was not as pleasant” 3 of 5 stars

You added Bright Angel Lodge and Cabins to your Saves list
Bright Angel Lodge and Cabins
Highway 64, South Rim, Grand Canyon National Park, AZ 86023   |
Dacula, Georgia
“This time was not as pleasant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in a cabin at Bright Angel early October 2012. The construction was inconvenient-we were told about it beforehand though. The problem is the lack of lighting outside. After dinner it is dark and to get anywhere there are dark paths and dark steps. My husband fell on the steps going back to our cabin after dinner. All the restaurants are a good walking distance but in the dark it is simply not acceptable. When I informed the front desk at checkout about the problem the clerk said, "Oh, we may need to put out some solar lights". Well, duh-how long have you been in business?
The angel bright lodge restaurant was not very good in their service. Our dinners came cold and the service was very slow. 5 years ago it was much better.
We did enjoy the shuttle buses and touring the beautiful views. The Grand Canyon is the most beautiful place on earth we have seen and we will return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed here in early November, it was our third time at Bright Angel. I rated this experience poor because there was MAJOR construction all around the cabins AND it was never disclosed in the reservation process, nor was any reduction in cabin rates offered. We had to walk twice as far to reach the cabin, we couldn't access the rim directly and a bucket loader and compactor were parked literally 3 feet from our window. I know - whine, whine - repairs have to be done and fall is a good time to do them. But the staff was largely indifferent to the inconvenience heaped on it's customers. Grand Canyon is beautiful and popular, so I expect they don't much care if I return or not.

Now for the truth in advertising... This was our third trip to Bright Angel and the other two were excellent in all regards. It's just that this time I felt it was very inconsiderate and "in your face" that Xanterra didn't tell us in advance that construction would be wreak chaos in the cabin area. Whining done.....

Grand Canyon was just as beautiful as always though....

Room Tip: Cabins are usually great, just make sure you are sharing them with construction equipment.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New Haven, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

A while after our stay here, we got a call from the Lost and Found Department: had we left a camera in our room? I'm embarrassed to say that we apparently had but not even realized it (it was a cheap one of my daughter's), so had not called to inquire. But after a certain amount of time, the Lost and Found Dept. starts calling guests and they called us, then mailed it(at our expense, that's OK) to us. We were so impressed not only by their follow-through but by the hosesty of the staff who turned it in - it would have been so easy just to slip it in a pocket.
Aside from that, the cabins were adorable and comfortable; we enjoyed having the little living room to spread our stuff out in. The location is unparalleled; this was the trip of a lifetime.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
indian springs, al
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We spent one night in a cabin on the rim at the historic Bright Angel, prior to our mule expedition the next morning. The cabin was quaint, small, warm, comfortable and on the rim. It was more than adequate for our needs, plus it had a TV! It is not 'luxury accomodations', but that was not what I expected, and what I got was probably better than what I had anticipated. The south rim was about 30 ft from our door, the lodge was about 1/8 mile, and the walkway between included the Lookout and Kolb Studios.
The staff were very helpful, and our luggage transfers were a breeze. The staff at the transportation desk were very helpful, friendly, and accomodating.
There was construction going on right beside our cabin on the west side of the property, but we weren't in the cabin enough for it to be a real concern. The heavy equipment didn't start until after 8, and they were done before 4 pm.
Overall, a great experience here. I would stay here again if I was going on the mule expedition, doing a lot of hiking, or just wanted a couple of days on the rim.

Room Tip: Try to get a cabin on the west side of the property - a little more privacy, a little less traffic...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Owensboro, Kentucky, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I wouldn't say we got a discount due to construction on the roadway around the cabin, but the clerk went out of her way to stress the construction. Room was comfortable and it is worth a bit more rent to be right at the canyon, adjacent to the walks, studios, dining, and bus. We encountered mule deer on an evening walk and in the morning. Just a neat setting, ambiance and sense of history. WiFi only in the lobby...boo. And the worst fish taco of my life in the cafe.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Wow, a room right on the rim. We saw an Elk grazing on the grass just outside our room at dawn an a small herd of mule deer just as we left the El Tovar dining room after dark. The rooms are small but so what, I wasn't doing anything but sleeping there. The bath rooms are actually nicer than the Flamingo in Vegas. The vales in the gift shop are very good, we didn't feel gouged. You must stay at the canyon to get the full experience. I would go back. It's not rustic but it's close. It got Dow to the upper 30's in the night. Take appropriate clothing.

Room Tip: I'd try to get one of the cabins on the rim. I didn't call far enough in advance. Don't...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed at the Bright Angel Lodge in a Historic cabin for two nights 11-12 October 2012.
I must stress here, before you read on, that the setting for this site is within the National Park and World Heritage Site and is absolutely stunning; being only a matter of feet away from one of the most spectacular natural sights a human being can behold.
HOWEVER, upon our arrival we found it almost impossible to park. 'Pretty odd', we thought. It wasn't apparent to us why until we did find a parking spot (a 15 minute wait for one to become available), which was right beside a 6 foot high temporary wire fence. Upon further investigation it became obvious that the Bright Angel Lodge 'had the workmen in...' There was robust fencing threaded all around the lodges and pretty heavy construction work going on in areas that seemed highly likely to be where the guests staying in said lodges would've normally parked.
When we checked in I expected to be told of the construction and some sort of apology to be offered...nothing. I was given the keys to the lodge and a map...still no mention of the work site. I asked the receptionist to point on the map to where the cabin was, she duly obliged, but still the elephant in the car park remained invisible! "what, there...in the middle of the construction site?" I inquired. "Yes Sir" came the reply, the elephants covert presence remained intact to the very end! That is...save for the welcome letter in the cabin that surreptitiously alluded to the building site.
Now, the cabin was lovely. It was clean and well presented...surrounded by wire fencing admittedly, but nevertheless clean and well presented. The bed was comfortable and you got a real feel of quirky nostalgia within. The whole park was pleasant (let's put aside for a moment the jaw dropping views at every turn of the Canyon Rim),the restaurants and bar were warm and friendly, all their staff very obliging, the food tasty and well prepared. Which brings me to my point. Xanterra, you're a big concern, it would've been a drop in your ocean to offer your guests a decent percentage (15-20%) off their food bill, to compensate them for the construction inconvenience, wouldn't it? After all, it's a closed shop, you'd still be trousering the profits! Or is it just that you're 'too big' and don't care? As I said, your guests are pretty much a captive audience. Unless they're willing to travel a good distance and refrain from alcohol (to drive), they'll be eating with you regardless! Oh, and I've just learned, from reading other reviews, that those who complained were compensated-but one had to complain first, shame on you!
Location-5 blobs, cabin-4 blobs, bars/restaurants-4 blobs, Xanterra's apathy-5 blobs!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Bright Angel Lodge and Cabins? Share your experiences!